ADVERTISEMENT

Who Stops Catholic? Not Your Team

We attempted to schedule St. X out of Cincy and Marist out of ATL this year, but couldn't make it work.
Call St Joes Prep out of Philly, Archbishop Wood or Erie Cathedral Prep, if you want to go Catholic School bear hunting. I would love to see Charlotte Catholic play either on of those schools. But having coached against CC they are thought to beat not because of freak athletes they are tough to beat because if their system and they play tough. To beat them you better be as disciplined or you better be vastly superior athletically. If not they are. Nightmare to play

Last edited:
You are acting like Havelock is this poor little team that barely gets any talent with that post. Havelock had one of the most explosive offenses in the state. Everyone knew that going into the title game. Rose(who operates in a county with open enrollment) had a very similar offense and two similar results. Almost identical actually when looking at two title games. Havelock has some of the best athletes in all of the state, along with some of the best coaching, so please spare us all that crap.

Not making excuses for Havelock but just stating a fact. The kids that go to Havelock live in an area around Havelock. Same for East Carteret, West Carteret, New Bern and West Craven ( where I went to school). Pitt county is allowing the athletes to go where they want within the county. I'm just saying there should be an even standard for all the schools that have to compete with each other. Havelock does exceptionally well competing year after year against teams that are able to load up.

Don't all the schools in Meck county do that?
Meck County does not have open enrollment and a majority of the kids at Catholic are from within a small radius. You don't see kids from Mooresville or Huntersville going there. Heck hardly anyone from past uptown goes there because of Christ The King up in Huntersville. However, you still tried to make Havelock out to be some poor little team with no talent which is total BS. Havelock gets more transfers than Catholic does, guaranteed. I think in the last 3-4 years we've had one kid transfer in who plays football.
However, continue to discredit Havelock, they did it after Crest shut them down too so I'm not shocked. Poor wittle Havelock.

Not making excuses for Havelock but just stating a fact. The kids that go to Havelock live in an area around Havelock. Same for East Carteret, West Carteret, New Bern and West Craven ( where I went to school). Pitt county is allowing the athletes to go where they want within the county. I'm just saying there should be an even standard for all the schools that have to compete with each other. Havelock does exceptionally well competing year after year against teams that are able to load up.
"Teams that are able to load up" that would make sense if you played Mallard Creek. You played a school that literally had one kid sign to play college football on a scholarship (Milan Howard -Richmond). Like come on dude. A couple other kids are going to play like one of the CBs who is going to Dayton, but not on a scholarship. Loading up? Lol.

Reactions: TVILLEDAWG2370
Wouldn't it kids from Davidson,NC all the way to Rock Hill and Fort Mill,SC attend Catholic?
Possible, but only two kids(brothers) play football for Catholic from Huntersville and theyre the 3rd and 4th kids in that family to play here so it’s a legacy type thing

Depends on how many of our football players that Catholic recruits. I'm tired of playing kids from Bessemer City, Clover, Virginia Myers Park, etc... wearing Red. You guys don't have a team, you have a group of kids you recruited. No team spirit when your players grew up in other places. Your rings suck, your program sucks, and even when you win no one takes it serious because your players are from other areas. Congrats on your fake championship
If we recruited your players we’d lose every game. I guess you’re the forum swiveler for 2017 with Catholic. There is at least one every season. Try winning more than four games this go around Whammy. That would be news.

Catholic's boundary for athletic participation is 25 miles radius (same as charters), a $12,000 per year tuition, and no financial aid available if a student participates in athletics. 365 sit out if a student transfers into the school unless they are moving from out of the area and attended a Catholic school previously.

Catholic is not the only game in town. Look at the D1 players from schools located within ten miles of Catholic over the last few years and then compare to Catholic's D1 signees.

When you saw Catholic take the field for warmups in the title game you thought Havelock was going to roll them. They did not impress you with athletes or unbelievable size although that was probably the largest team on the line Catholic has fielded. I am sure most in the stands expected Havelock would swarm the antiquated offense and not give the receivers a step and offensively would run past the Catholic defenders.

What makes Catholic exceptional is their players play together, running the same system in middle school mostly coached by former players. They have smart kids that buy into the system. I will admit their advantage may be the parents are usually better educated and more household income but Catholic does not compare in those categories to their neighboring Big 4 private schools (Christian, Latin, Country Day, Providence Day). The Catholic student on average does not come from a household with huge incomes but strong middle class.

I am not a Catholic guy or fan but I played against them and have watched them over the years. You do not hear Charlotte coaches complain about them. The schools in Meck County liked having them in their conference. Easy to work with, great support with no issues resulting in nice gates, Southern hospitality when visiting. Probably as close to a small town atmosphere as you will see at a Meck game because the same families send their children and children's children there while generations are separated out at the publics due to redistricting and strict districting.

Lets stop kidding ourselves. There is defacto open enrollment just about everywhere. Used to be the rural areas used to cry about big bad Meck County stacked teams but now you are seeing it all over the state. Scotland, Cleveland County etc etc. I read daily how this kid moves here or this kid moves there. The only advantage Catholic has is a great feeder system and elite level coaching. Add in the charter school dilemma in the smaller classifications as well.

Catholic destroys undisciplened programs. When they go against very good coaching and elite athletes they struggle.

Reactions: ConnerP and Ladge
When you saw Catholic take the field for warmups in the title game you thought Havelock was going to roll them. They did not impress you with athletes or unbelievable size although that was probably the largest team on the line Catholic has fielded.

I was there. Funny I don't remember thinking that at all. I was impressed with Catholics size. One of their recievers reminded me of former State player Bo Hines. I can't remember his name.

As I wrote Catholic’s team last year was probably the largest physically they have had.

I was there. Funny I don't remember thinking that at all. I was impressed with Catholics size. One of their recievers reminded me of former State player Bo Hines. I can't remember his name.
#87? Garrett McKernan, he was a sophomore

#87? Garrett McKernan, he was a sophomore

Yea I believe that was him. #87. Ran excellent routes and had great hands although he did have one drop he would have loved to have back. He's D1 material in my book.
I left with 3-4 minutes left to get over to Kenan to watch Wallace Rose Hill. Saw some good ball that day but it was cold. Snowflakes the size of 50 cent pieces.

Yea I believe that was him. #87. Ran excellent routes and had great hands although he did have one drop he would have loved to have back. He's D1 material in my book.
Yes that's him. Fantastic kid, credit the strength and conditioning program because they've taken him from just a skinny kid and have put some good muscle on him. He's about 6'3" I think 185ish, but may be wrong.

Yea he's going to be one to watch. I added an edit ti that post but you replied to quick to catch it. Great day of football but it was cold.

I'm curious did the field ruin Catholic's uniforms?. I know Havelock had new ones for that game and Duke was late getting the field painted for the game. Havelock was unable to get the paint out. They even sent them to an instate college to see if they could do it but no luck. 5 grand down the drain in one game. If I was able to afford it I would donate just to help out even though I'm a rival to them. Great program, great tradition like those Duplin county teams here in the East.

I'm curious did the field ruin Catholic's uniforms?. I know Havelock had new ones for that game and Duke was late getting the field painted for the game. Havelock was unable to get the paint out. They even sent them to an instate college to see if they could do it but no luck. 5 grand down the drain in one game. If I was able to afford it I would donate just to help out even though I'm a rival to them. Great program, great tradition like those Duplin county teams here in the East.
I don’t believe they did, if they did I didn’t notice. I’m sure some couldn’t be salvaged. Glad we had the first game there, field was torn up by the time 3A game was over

Listen, I understand that private schools have an unfair recruiting advantage because of the top-notch educational opportunities and not being confined to a school district, BUT, are we really gonna act like recruiting doesn't go on everywhere, even in public schools? Do people really think that every player on Wake Forest's roster grew up in their district, or went to whatever elementary or middle school most WFHS students go to? The same could be said for any top-tier HSFB program. I'm not trying to throw any program under the bus, but contrary to popular belief, there is more recruiting going on than people realize. Now like I said, private schools have a clear advantage, but it's not like public schools aren't doing the same thing.

Speed kills those slow Popers.. They're not hard, not even at their house. Speed Kills! Speed Kills! Speed Kills

Thanks Rulz...I thoroughly enjoyed the replay. I wonder ..If foot and dog watched the whole video???
They left early. Look at # 90 in the frame. He now plays for the Chicago Bears. The couldn’t block with three of them that night. We dragged them twice, and if we play them next year it’d be the same. We’re truly their DADDY!

You did good my friend. I hope your boys have a great season, I'm sure they will. Just stopped in for a bit, and was hoping to Foots up.
He’s out probably getting ready to enjoy a nice Angel’s Envy while telling Burns fans “They got nothin!!” Cause they don’t.
Can it be August yet?

Reactions: crestrulz
Wow, seeing Rulz on here brings back the good ol’e day memories. I would wish Catholic luck but they don’t need it because like Crest, they apparently recruit...while losing to a public school at home twice in a regional final and eventually getting blown out by Northern Guilford or losing to New Bern in the state championship....but they recruit and are unbeatable...so best of luck Catholic!

Wow, seeing Rulz on here brings back the good ol’e day memories. I would wish Catholic luck but they don’t need it because like Crest, they apparently recruit...while losing to a public school at home twice in a regional final and eventually getting blown out by Northern Guilford or losing to New Bern in the state championship....but they recruit and are unbeatable...so best of luck Catholic!
Can you not bring up Northern Guilford....I still have nightmares

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Sadly I must agree, true state powers never record 4-8 or even 6-6 season records consistently...especially after winning state a championship

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT