ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best in Charlotte area this year?

Has the Creek lost ground?
Yes, but I'm guessing not as much ground as most of the other big hitters lost.

Your Charlotte champ for 2017 is anybody's guess at this point. And whether or not that team will be a player on the state level is also anybody's guess. My guesses are Mallard Creek and No, but week 1 might change those early gut feelings.

Mallard Creek
Butler
Hough
Catholic
Vance
All should be good, not in any particular order but those shot be the top teams out of Charlotte this year.

I think I would add Myers Park to that list as well.
I am not a believer in Myers Park honestly. Last year you are coming off your bye week and have your biggest game of the year at home vs Butler and you get beat 53-0...yeah I need to see it on the field more.

I am not a believer in Myers Park honestly. Last year you are coming off your bye week and have your biggest game of the year at home vs Butler and you get beat 53-0...yeah I need to see it on the field more.

Well, yes that is 100% accurate but they also took West regional final member Vance to OT 6 weeks later. That same Vance team beat Butler at Butler the following week.

The big 3 of Vance, Butler and Mallard Creek lost a ton of starters. Each have a ton of points to account for on offense. Hough has the most coming back and added 3-4 impact kids from DD. I would have them as favorites but the HC change gives me some pause. Plus, they have a hole at QB.

MP returns a bunch and has a very good collection of coaches. I think the ass kicking by Butler is actually a good thing as a bet Chadwick and Evans have that score posted everywhere. I agree with Nepsy, the QB situation is pretty volatile.

I truly think the school that has a QB emerge is gonna be the school that ends up in Regional final this year.

South pointe stallions (Rock Hill,SC)

I think you could make an argument the Southpointe is Charlotte area but I think the author of the thread was referring to NC schools. If you consider the RH schools I would put Southpointe on the top of list in 2017. Probably top 25 nationally

So if....and that is a BIG IF.....they lose Sept. 22nd....what does that mean?

I would have to wait and see the game to answer that question. I do believe in order to be considered a nationally recognized program you have to play more than one or two big time programs every 5 or 6 years. I think if Shelby runs the table again this year it would be very hard not to consider them in that company.

SOuthpointe plays RH NW, Buford, GA and you guys and a very strong playoff run just about every year. They beat Mallard Creek last year and played a pretty stacked ST. Frances team t their place last year and lost by a TD I think. They have certainly earned it.

Saw RH Southpointe twice last year and have seen some glimpses of them in 7 on 7. I remember thinking last year that they would be absolutely loaded in 2017 as they had a ton of Junior and Soph playing.

I think its the best team Shelby has played in their recent run including the Crest 2014 team. I dont think Shelby wins at their place BUT I think its a ballgame and its close enough that anything could happen.

Buford, GA

Saw RH Southpointe some glimpses of them in 7 on 7.

I dont think Shelby wins at their place BUT I think its a ballgame and its close enough that anything could happen.

What do you know about that Buford, GA team. Are they a national contender every year? I don't know anything about them.

We played Southpointe twice at the Carolina Panthers 7 on 7 two weeks ago.
First game was a 22-11 Southpointe. We then drew them in the tournament and SouthPointe won 25-23. Yeah it was just a 7 on 7 but I was proud of our showing there. We'll have to see how that QB does when Dax and Jaylon and Will are breathing down his neck.

I just hope we show up and don't have any injuries leading up to that game. I'd love a win but I don't want to see a blowout. Just a great competitive game. I think our defense will keep us in the game....it may just be an issue of if our offense can stay on the field long enough to allow our defense to rest. Can't wait!

7 on 7, no pads not D or O line, no pads rush, no run game. If there's no presence of a pass rush is it real football???

What do you know about that Buford, GA team. Are they a national contender every year? I don't know anything about them.

First game was a 22-11 Southpointe. We then drew them in the tournament and SouthPointe won 25-23. Yeah it was just a 7 on 7 but I was proud of our showing there. We'll have to see how that QB does when Dax and Jaylon and Will are breathing down his neck.

I just hope we show up and don't have any injuries leading up to that game. I'd love a win but I don't want to see a blowout. Just a great competitive game. I think our defense will keep us in the game....it may just be an issue of if our offense can stay on the field long enough to allow our defense to rest. Can't wait!

Buford is loaded. Their previous Coach is now with the Atlanta Falcons. He was making 185K as the Head Coach of Buford. Stop the QB @ Soutpointe and you have a shot. They are also well coached.

Buford is loaded. Their previous Coach is now with the Atlanta Falcons. He was making 185K as the Head Coach of Buford. Stop the QB @ Soutpointe and you have a shot. They are also well coached.

Damn....from high school to the NFL.....wow!

Perennial Georgia State power. Been to the title game 4 years in a row I think winning it all in 4a in 2014. Some people think that was a top 2 or 3 team in the country.

I dont expect a blow out but I think in the past 5 years Shelby has simply out athleted everyone except probably 13 and 14 Crest. They will not have that advantage at SOuthpointe. Both well coached and I think Shelby has some kids who can really go on defense but Kendrick is a once a generation athlete.

Saw Shelby at the 7 on 7 at Providence Day. They very clearly have the back 7 to match up with anyone. Dax is the poster boy but the other LB is right there as is the big long safety. Frankly I thought they looked a little disinterested at the 7 on 7. I think at this stage 7 on 7's for Shelby are little more than away to stay sharp.

Reactions: 72 State Champion
South pointe stallions (Rock Hill,SC)
Very possibly, depending on how the QB situation pans out. Like Butler, South Pointe traditionally likes to spread it around on offense and power running up the gut isn't necessarily their strong suit. To spread it around, you need a good QB to pull the trigger, so losing a multi-year play maker at QB always invokes some questions as to how the next guy will do.

Butler's "next guy" this season isn't even decided yet, and all of the candidates have raised eyebrows so far...and not in a good way. Hopefully South Pointe has a better idea what to expect come August.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait...is Kendrick just a Senior this year? If so, forget everything above, South Pointe is loaded this season.

So if....and that is a BIG IF.....they lose Sept. 22nd....what does that mean?
It would be right near the top of the best wins Shelby has ever had in their long, storied history. As far as programs go, South Pointe is as legit as anything else you'll find in NC or SC. They are the real deal, and that would be one heck of an impressive win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT