ADVERTISEMENT

Who is it going to be this go around?

The Mountaineer has shut down their comments on Facebook. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 91ths
Seems like several of the posters liked Jonathon Crompton-if he wanted it.
Others seemed to think that Asst. Coach Austin Chambers would probably be the man.
I guess only time will tell. Without all the drama they could probably draw a pretty good applicant pool with the pay and facilities.

Reactions: Guesswhoiam
Seems like several of the posters liked Jonathon Crompton-if he wanted it.
Others seemed to think that Asst. Coach Austin Chambers would probably be the man.
I guess only time will tell. Without all the drama they could probably draw a pretty good applicant pool with the pay and facilities.
Crompton-Chambers are a dynamic duo!

So they have a committee to select candidates to present to the Principal/Board? Sounds like a good idea in theory. It takes the pressure off the Principal to go through all the candidates. Problem is, who is on the committee? It is undisclosed. So is it, people affiliated with Tuscola that know football, or is it a bunch of people handpicked from Canton that toe the line with the Central Office. No one knows. Why? Why do we never have an independent voice in Haywood County on either side? If you have a bunch of current coaches at Tuscola on the committee, do they want their 'buddy' to get the job or are we at least trying to take the nepotism out of it and hire the best coach. Is this a handpicked committeee by the Central office? Based on past experiences, I would take my chances on going to Frog Level and putting some of the homeless on the committee to make a decision than letting the Central office or School Board be in charge of it. At least they will not have an agenda. If my perception, and several other people in the community are wrong, just let people know who is on the committee to alleviate that. Transparency in Government is always great, it tells citizens who is competent and who is not. Why do we always avoid transparency at all cost? Wait, I think I answered my question already.

Last edited:
I sure would like a little transparency. LOL! But in the end, we will survive and have a coach who isn’t a sexual predator. That is a good thing for our boys! But just one more thought … not one assistant coach knew “he” had this problem?

Last edited:
Chappell - and the "buy here pay here car salesman" would be THE dynamic duo! I hear they're best friends.

So they have a committee to select candidates to present to the Principal/Board? Sounds like a good idea in theory. It takes the pressure off the Principal to go through all the candidates. Problem is, who is on the committee? It is undisclosed. So is it, people affiliated with Tuscola that know football, or is it a bunch of people handpicked from Canton that toe the line with the Central Office. No one knows. Why? Why do we never have an independent voice in Haywood County on either side? If you have a bunch of current coaches at Tuscola on the committee, do they want their 'buddy' to get the job or are we at least trying to take the nepotism out of it and hire the best coach. Is this a handpicked committeee by the Central office? Based on past experiences, I would take my chances on going to Frog Level and putting some of the homeless on the committee to make a decision than letting the Central office or School Board be in charge of it. At least they will not have an agenda. If my perception, and several other people in the community are wrong, just let people know who is on the committee to alleviate that. Transparency in Government is always great, it tells citizens who is competent and who is not. Why do we always avoid transparency at all cost? Wait, I think I answered my question already.
My guess is if you don't like the new coach it'll be those "people handpicked from Canton" who up and hired that guy!

None of my business, not trying to get involved. However, I heard the head coach of Chase HS is a alumni from Tuscola. He's done pretty well. Cogdill, I think is how you spell it. Just saying...

Reactions: RealityRulz
My guess is if you don't like the new coach it'll be those "people handpicked from Canton" who up and hired that guy!
Not totally accurate. While they would love for Tuscola to hire someone horrible, it is more the politics of how things are done. Truth be known, I would trust the Pisgah people to make a better decision if it is for their school, and they would. It is a total easy fix that our School Board won't do. Never hire anyone that went to either school as Superintendent or in management for the Haywood County Schools. Hire outside from people who have never lived there. It is not just a slam on the School system, it is how everything is run there. The good old boy network. It is a good job for a qualified coach, but is he from "around here or not." Look at the School Admin (Central office and School Admin) and ask why everyone are socially friends or long time acquaintances. Hire the best people, not your buddies. The kids sure as hell deserve better.

So the Tuscola assistant principal and the Tuscola assistant coach who selected the search committee picked people from Pisgah .Sure they did.

This has been really quiet, I expected to hear alot more chatter on here about this job.

Not totally accurate. While they would love for Tuscola to hire someone horrible, it is more the politics of how things are done. Truth be known, I would trust the Pisgah people to make a better decision if it is for their school, and they would. It is a total easy fix that our School Board won't do. Never hire anyone that went to either school as Superintendent or in management for the Haywood County Schools. Hire outside from people who have never lived there. It is not just a slam on the School system, it is how everything is run there. The good old boy network. It is a good job for a qualified coach, but is he from "around here or not." Look at the School Admin (Central office and School Admin) and ask why everyone are socially friends or long time acquaintances. Hire the best people, not your buddies. The kids sure as hell deserve better.
That's exactly how it works in that county and next door in Jackson. Good ole boy network still running things. Coach Keifer did a great job there and he didn't have any connections that I know of. I think dismantling the county office administration and school admin is exactly what should be done. Thus, they will hire someone from there per the usual. And be looking again in a few years. Getting someone with no affiliation or connection to the community would be good IF that person can deal with all the BS that comes with the job.

Pretty much. Sad… The kids deserve better .
I know many will prob will disagree with me but I think Tuscola/Pisgah should be consolidated because they are main 2 schools within the county and to me make no seen to have 2 schools imo so They should centralize the school (near Clyde elem) and used both schools colors so red, gold, black and be used a mix of both team coaches. etc

I know many will prob will disagree with me but I think Tuscola/Pisgah should be consolidated because they are main 2 schools within the county and to me make no seen to have 2 schools imo so They should centralize the school (near Clyde elem) and used both schools colors so red, gold, black and be used a mix of both team coaches. etc
This is funny coming from a county that won't consolidate their two high schools.
Lots of NFL coaches looking for jobs right now. Maybe I can get the good ol boy network to make some calls for ya'll. 😁

This is funny coming from a county that won't consolidate their two high schools.
Lots of NFL coaches looking for jobs right now. Maybe I can get the good ol boy network to make some calls for ya'll. 😁
I know they aint going too but they should is my point

OK lets see here. We got different opinions on various forums on just what coach Tuscola should have. But the consensus I have seen is so far: 1 The successful applicant should have no ties whatsoever to Pisgah, nor has ever been in that school even as a visitor, nor have any family members that have. 2. Needs head coaching experience, not a "young gun." A former Tuscola grad or one with long time ties to THS would be preferable, PROVIDED the meet the other qualifications listed above. Outsiders not familiar with THS football history would not be a good idea. AND the process of selection and hiring should be "transparent." Now what coach would like their name bandied about as a potential applicant for the THS job when they are coaching at another school? How about NONE. Man! All these terms and conditions sure rules out a lot of potentially qualified applicants.

• Haha
Reactions: PisgahBear9975
The coach Tuscola could have and should have hired three years ago is now available. Let’s see how they can screw it up twice. It is the perfect storm, let’s just cause problems in the Administration, but all will be well when Canton tries to hire someone. We will roll out the red carpet from the Central office then. Same playbook the County government uses too.

OK lets see here. We got different opinions on various forums on just what coach Tuscola should have. But the consensus I have seen is so far: 1 The successful applicant should have no ties whatsoever to Pisgah, nor has ever been in that school even as a visitor, nor have any family members that have. 2. Needs head coaching experience, not a "young gun." A former Tuscola grad or one with long time ties to THS would be preferable, PROVIDED the meet the other qualifications listed above. Outsiders not familiar with THS football history would not be a good idea. AND the process of selection and hiring should be "transparent." Now what coach would like their name bandied about as a potential applicant for the THS job when they are coaching at another school? How about NONE. Man! All these terms and conditions sure rules out a lot of potentially qualified applicants.
The last time the coach from Kings Mountain had no trouble with his name being bandied about I understand he he got a good pay raise over that.

The coach Tuscola could have and should have hired three years ago is now available. Let’s see how they can screw it up twice. It is the perfect storm, let’s just cause problems in the Administration, but all will be well when Canton tries to hire someone. We will roll out the red carpet from the Central office then. Same playbook the County government uses too.
Im not sure how the mechanics of hiring coaches operates. I was under the impression that the principal/admin at the school interview then choose a candidate they would like as their coach to submit to the board for final approval. Isnt that the way it works?

Reactions: PisgahBear9975
Im not sure how the mechanics of hiring coaches operates. I was under the impression that the principal/admin at the school interview then choose a candidate they would like as their coach to submit to the board for final approval. Isnt that the way it works?
Totally depends on the school and school system. Have a friend who was a coach and later AD. Interviewed for a football HC position at an area school conducted by the principal and head of the booster’s club. No involvement from the AD. Another school had a hiring committee of school personnel and community members.
I believe it should be the principal and AD to make a recommendation to the school board. Those are the folks responsible for that position and should make the decision.

He took his name out for the Tuscola HC job. Exit stage right for a second time.

He took his name out for the Tuscola HC job. Exit stage right for a second time.
You'd be wrong, there were originally 9 or so applicants and with the news of the principal resigning they have now opened the posting back up until a principal is hired or promoted from within. If anyone hasn't read the article in The Mountaineer with the now former principal speaking about the situation you should take a look, quite a frustrating situation.

You'd be wrong, there were originally 9 or so applicants and with the news of the principal resigning they have now opened the posting back up until a principal is hired or promoted from within. If anyone hasn't read the article in The Mountaineer with the now former principal speaking about the situation you should take a look, quite a frustrating situation.
Link the article please.

What that what a lot to unload.

I understand there 2 sides to every store and it seem like she is woman enough to say she did make mistakes and but they were out of care and making sure the former coach was OK. I dont think she had any intent to x in the investigation and also that one superintendent didnt even accepted her resignation and I feel like They could allowed her to finish out her 6 months n let her ride into the sunset
It seems like its a total Crap shoot up in Haywood county

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT