ADVERTISEMENT

Who can beat Mallard Creek?

RaiderTitanium

Aug 23, 2002
On paper MC will be loaded again this year. There are at least eight MAJOR college prospects on that team and they are being heavily recruited by the best in the land. I believe it's going to take an off-night for MC or a miracle game from an opponent to knock them off this year. What says the masses?

On paper MC will be loaded again this year. There are at least eight MAJOR college prospects on that team and they are being heavily recruited by the best in the land. I believe it's going to take an off-night for MC or a miracle game from an opponent to knock them off this year. What says the masses?

MC plays a quality schedule packed with quality teams that are capable of beating them on any given night, but I don't think there will be anyone that keeps them from collecting another trophy when all is said and done.

A regular season loss, however, would not be out of the question given their schedule. Don't forget that they played 5 games last season decided by single digits, and even lost one of them.

Wouldn't be surprised if they drop one of their first 3 games. vs Indy @ memorial (a place where MC doesn't play their best ball for some reason), vs butler (a team that beat them last season and is the only team to beat MC since 2012, beating MC 3 times), and @ Byrnes (hostile loud environment). I think its possible they run the table but wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a game early. At the end, I believe they are the clear favorite for the ring come december.

Could possibly have a regular season loss with toughness of schedule, but
come December a trophy is likely.

Three very tough road games-

Indy @ Memorial
@ Byrnes
@ Vance

All 3 are potential losses. Butler always looms large but MC hasn't lost at home since 2010 and the last three times the Bulldogs have come up north its been pretty one sided. I think it would be a tall order for a win this year.

New Bern matchup would be fun but I doubt it will happen. Got to be 10 hours round trip and require an overnight most likely. Plus lost school day. Financially doesn't make a lot of sense for either school but even less for Mallard Creek. Got to be 20-25 top tier programs inside a 3 hour radius of MC.

In addition and I will preface this knowing it sounds arrogant but it really isn't meant to be. MC looking to establish themselves on a National basis more and more. If they go 10 hours on an overnight it will most likely be Atlanta or possibly even Tenn. They will get money to travel to a high profile national matchup. Doubt they get that from New Bern.

Seems to me and just about everyone I talk to that the only thing stopping Mallard Creek this year in the 4AA is Mallard Creek. Teams need to win every game and hope they get a draw where Mallard Creek has to travel in the playoffs similar to Page in 2011. If they get home field though out it will be tough to beat them at home in November.

One thing about high school ball is that anything can happen. There are two instances in the last several years that stick in my mind. First, I thought Page in 2011, would never run the table against Butler and Mallard Creek. They did. Second, I was one of those who thought the championship game against Wake Forest last season wouldn't be close. I didn't think it would be the same as 2013, but I didn't think it would be close. But, it was. Will the Creek be extremely tough to beat? Of course it will. Are they unbeatable? No. No high school team is unbeatable. This isn't to say it won't be extremely tough to do it.

With a new coach, I'm not sure how tough Indy will be for the Creek. Vance may give them some trouble. Butler may give them a little trouble. But, I don't see that game, as of now, as close as some of the others those two teams have played.

In my opinion, two possible hiccups for Mallard Creek is of course that game at Byrnes. That would always be a tough matchup. The other is McDonogh from Maryland. That game is at home for Mavs, but it still should be a tough game for them. A key for the Creek is to try and be unbeaten and avoid a toss to determine home field in the playoffs.

Not sure anyone truly will challenge Mallard Creek this season. I know in the past they have "started slow" but I don't think that is the case this season. Now can teams play tough with them for a half or so? Sure probably, but their depth and just plain old coaching will over power teams down the stretch I believe.
Truthfully once they are rolling no team in NC is within 28pts of this squad.

The only team that has consistently beaten MC is Butler. They have rolled everyone else in the state. I think Byrnes will be the only team that can hang with them

The only team that has consistently beaten MC is Butler. They have rolled everyone else in the state. I think Byrnes will be the only team that can hang with them
Byrnes' atmosphere could be a factor, but I know these coaches will prepare the kids well. They went down to Dillon a few years and apparently that was as hostile as it gets. Wish the game was on a Saturday so I could go.

CC WE HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE POPE,S BOYS LATELY. BY THE WAY WHERE,S THE ONE KNOWN AS FOOTSOLDIER. THE LAST I HEARD FROM HIM . HE WAS AH TALKING ABOUT WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO DO TOO THE BEARS. WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT ENDED. DON,T WE.. PS WHERE CAN I BUY ONE OF YOUR 2015 4A CHAMPIONSHIP TEES.

CT, we are looking good at least right now. I think we have 13 returning starters which will be very good. The 4A west is tough so should we win it all in 2015 I'll buy you a shirt :p
Not sure where Foot is, he'll come around soon though

BBN
CT, we are looking good at least right now. I think we have 13 returning starters which will be very good. The 4A west is tough so should we win it all in 2015 I'll buy you a shirt :p
Not sure where Foot is, he'll come around soon though
GOOD LUCK HAVE A NICE SUMMER

North Carolina producing Alot of great football players about time the state gets some national attention/coverage just like Texas/GA/Florida/Cali etc.....think it would be great exposure for Mallard Creek to get a shot with the big boys who occupy the top 10 in HS football nationally

North Carolina producing Alot of great football players about time the state gets some national attention/coverage just like Texas/GA/Florida/Cali etc.....think it would be great exposure for Mallard Creek to get a shot with the big boys who occupy the top 10 in HS football nationally
To really get ESPN to look at us we do need a team to be in the top 25 more than just 1 year. If Mallard Creek ends up in the top 15 nationally next year it could be a real possiblity.
I say that because I have a relative who works in the sports television industry and that came from him. The reason St Thomas, Booker T, Hoover etc are on TV is because they've been nationally ranked for years.
Plus the state doesn't allow live games to be shown on TV which will probably keep ESPN away.

To really get ESPN to look at us we do need a team to be in the top 25 more than just 1 year. If Mallard Creek ends up in the top 15 nationally next year it could be a real possiblity.
I say that because I have a relative who works in the sports television industry and that came from him. The reason St Thomas, Booker T, Hoover etc are on TV is because they've been nationally ranked for years.
Plus the state doesn't allow live games to be shown on TV which will probably keep ESPN away.

What would also help is if North Carolina had more than one deserving nationally ranked program during most years. MC and Butler both spent some time being ranked at the same time in 2011 and 2012 (Page took Butler's place in the final rankings in 2011), but most years this state only has one truly nationally elite powerhouse...and then a bunch of teams who aren't at that level.

Texas, Florida, California, Ohio...these states have 5 or 10 teams every year that are going to battle it out to have 3 or 4 of the victors ranked. North Carolina is usually just a one trick pony, and that doesn't help anything in the respect department. South Carolina has found themselves in the same boat over the last decade, and them consistently cranking out 3 loss champs isn't helping their cause any, either.

I say Byrnes has a shot. They have a great reputation (not sure if MC will buy into that), and playing at there place is a tough W.

His family has supposedly moved from the south side of town to the University Area.

as his dad said on the prep board it was a "business decision"
Aka he wants his son to get looks from bigger schools and Mallard Creek is having the biggest and best college programs at their school weekly.
I'd want my son to go to Mallard Creek too if he had a chance to start there and was a 4 star? Plus they have EXCELLENT coaching over at the Creek. Some of the best in the state.

I thought he was already getting looks from the big schools? Once you are on their radar I am not sure it improves the offers as much but it may improve as a football player due to the daily competition level in practice. But he will not be the focal point and probably see a drop in his personal numbers. I would expect he will fight for playing time early. MC is pretty stacked at every position and absolutely loaded at many.

I thought he was already getting looks from the big schools? Once you are on their radar I am not sure it improves the offers as much but it may improve as a football player due to the daily competition level in practice. But he will not be the focal point and probably see a drop in his personal numbers. I would expect he will fight for playing time early. MC is pretty stacked at every position and absolutely loaded at many.
I guess he is willing to sacrifice that to get the improved coaching and better shot at winning a state title. Who knows...it will be interesting to watch that is for sure.

More to it than recruiting and he is class of 17 so plenty of time to dominate. He is a standout athlete even when on the field with other stand out athletes. If your uncomfortable with your situation and have the financial means you are better of making the move now versus having a rough year and really losing momentum.

Beyond that the best way to get yourself ready fro the next level is to play against and with top notch competition each day in practice and play a elite schedule. You get better when playing against better competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT