ADVERTISEMENT

Who Are Your Top Ten 1-A Girls Teams?

Evaluator1

Oct 8, 2004
Here Are My Top Ten Girls Teams for this Season

1. Winston-Salem Prep - With Mychala Wolfe, Dominique Claytor, Kayla Robinson, Christina Caesar, Boston, Sanders, etc....this team looks (on paper) to be the best! Can they keep Bishop from reaching 10 in a row???

2. Bishop McGuinness - The road to the Championship STILL goes through Bishop! Tia Cappuccio, Tessa Johnston, Danielle Nieters, Alex Putman and company may not look extremely impressive on paper; but they're fundamentally sound, they're poised under pressure, and they never give up! Look for them to still be playing in March!

3. Williamston Riverside - Kayla Jones can play all five positions, and she's a leading candidate for 1-A POY. The team also plays excellent defense, and they'll steamroll the East! They're the only East team in my Top Ten and I rank them at #3, because they WILL represent the East in the State Championship Game!

4. Hayesville - They have the dynamic duo of Amanda Thompson and Stephanie Patton, and a good supporting cast. Look for them to be one of the frontrunners in the West!

5. Hiwassee Dam - This is my girl's "sleeper" team for this season. They're an excellent team that has everybody back! Most people in the Far West feel that Hayesville, Robbinsville and Cherokee are better, but look for this team to go very far!

6. River Mill - Look for this team to be in the mix. Kayla Burns, Kena Brincefield, and Lenaja Ruffin return healthy, so it'll be real interesting to see if the seeding system will have them going EAST or WEST!

7. Albemarle - Kyleigh McLendon and Tiffani Currie return. Add Jaida Robinson and a healthy Davis-Hill and this team could really jell into a force, by tournament time!

8. Cherokee - Two words. Kendall Toineetta! Her poise, her skills, and her leadership should keep Cherokee as a big threat!

9. Robbinsville - A very good team that only loses 1 player. They should be in the hunt!

10. Winston Salem Atkins - This was an excellent battle-tested team last year. Rumors of transfers and in-fighting have lowered them to my #10 spot. Time will tell what they'll bring to the table.

Comments: Even with the new seeding system...the WEST will STILL be brutal!!! It's going to be an exciting year, so let the games begin!

These are my picks. What are yours?

Word is that Prep picked up another very good transfer during the off-season. Must be nice to get away with that.

4 of your top 10 teams are non-traditional boundary schools.

1.) Bishop is still my number 1. 9 straight state titles earns them that right until somebody beats them when it counts.

2.) WSP by the previous comment looks to be reloading as everybody expected, however had the more talent last year overall and could not get over the top on Bishop when it counted

3.) Williamstown Riverside - I agree with you....

4.) Hayesville - Is a very good team and from what I seen will not beat themselves. 2 very good players, they will make some noise come playoff time. It will be interesting what happens when you mix in the brutal midwest with the west this year and how it affects that region.

5.) Albemarle - Albemarle has alot returning this year and with the addition of Robinson and a healthy Davis - Hill this team is a top team. This team has a great chemistry already. Also they have a completely under the radar player this year that if she has matured and gained confidence it will put this team over the top. Dec 2nd vs Monroe will be telling sign of where this team is.

6.) Cherokee - agreed

7.) Robbinsville - everything I have heard about this team if proves true this is a tough team.

8.) Atkins - I just can't put these guys down at 10 even with what you said previously. They have a good young group who is very talented.

9.) River Mill - No disrespect here I just can't get a feel for what they have coming in, but seemed to have a very good team last year. With having the players mentioned before coming back healthy they could easily move up.

10.) Hiwasee Dam - Agreed as above, a team definitely you have to keep an eye on. A great sleeper team that could make some noise.

Honorable Mention:
West Montgomery - They have 3 really good guards including Melanie Horne who burst onto the stage last year as a freshman. She is a very good player, with great size and can shoot the ball. I would rate them higher with a better post presence. I will keep them as a sleeper.

South Davidson - This team right here was VERY young last year and are very well coached. This is a true sleeper team that could knock off a top team. There are a couple of teams listed above that if they played South Davidson could get beat. I don't think they win their conference as they have West Montgomery in it but should be with the #2 seeds when the State seeding process begins which is dangerous. Do not sleep on these girls..

This post was edited on 10/21 11:58 AM by bulldog nation2014

Coming into this year as of right now, it looks to be wide open on both on the girls and guys side. I would love to see a traditional boundary school come out of the 1a west but it will be a difficult task. It should be a great and exciting season as all teams mentioned above I feel like has a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT