ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the team to beat in 3A and 3AA?

3A: Charlotte Catholic. Seen them play Weddington and they dominated. They're hands down the favorite to win it all and I don't think it'll be close.

3AA: Tossup. At the beginning of the year I would have said Dudley, but their injuries are proving to be a real pain for them. They're game against Mt. Tabor will be a measuring stick to see if they're back in the swing of things.

Gotta be the popes boys and Dudley currently. However you cant ever sleep on a Cleveland County team or the West Canaan Coyotes!

3A Charlotte Catholic I just don't see anyone getting them this year

3AA Top teams to look out for

1. Dudley-defending champ until proven otherwise. Looks like they are getting healthy at the right time

2. Marvin Ridge- has beaten several 3A playoff teams already we will see how the game against CC goes

3. AL Brown- starting to come together

4. Tabor- always has had numbers and players will be a tough out

5. Lee County- winning big and has a coach who has been there before

6. AC Renyolds- Tough out come November

7. Jacksonville- Were they not in it last year?

3AA going to be a tough bracket

Reactions: beamer24
Is CC that superior to anyone else? Haven’t seen them play.
Catholic is loaded. They're really hitting a good stride right now. If they win out they'll be the #1 seed in the 3A West which means teams have to come to The Holy Land, now I will not say no one can beat them, everyone can be beat, BUT Catholic is playing very very well.

Marvin Ridge has legit title contention talent out there? What do they look like?
Marvin is interesting. They struggled with Cuthbertson, only put up 18 offensive points yet got 4 takeaways. They got a pick six which looked to be the difference.
We will learn a LOT about them in the last three weeks. They have Sun Valley, Weddington and Catholic. That is a brutal way to finish the season.

In the projected bracket for 3A I would literally hand Catholic the trophy right now unless their is a East team that can compete just to save tax payers some money on bus travel.

Catholic might finally get revenge on Crest and it will be ugly for my Chargers. KM is predicted to be number 2 seed in the West, no offense to KM but as injured as they are, and that's the second best team in the 3A west? No reason for the rest of us to even bother, and I sound like pessimistic person, but sometimes you just have to call it as you see it...Catholic is on a another level...but I PROMISE Crest is coming...give it a couple more years.

3a-
Catholic
EA
WA
Havelock
Orange

3AA-
South Iredell
Dudley
ACR
Alexander Central
AL Brown

What separates CC from the pack? Just curious as I know little of them from a personnel standpoint. I’ve seen Page, Dudley, WA, and Eastern Guilford play this season. Page is definitely special as is WA. Dudley is banged up so their record can be deceiving. Eastern maybe the most physical/fastest team I’ve seen defensively which gave them a chance vs Page. WA can be a problem in the east. They are GOOD. Just trying to get a better understanding of CC. I’ve heard great things about that program, just never seen them this year.

In the projected bracket for 3A I would literally hand Catholic the trophy right now unless their is a East team that can compete just to save tax payers some money on bus travel.

Catholic might finally get revenge on Crest and it will be ugly for my Chargers. KM is predicted to be number 2 seed in the West, no offense to KM but as injured as they are, and that's the second best team in the 3A west? No reason for the rest of us to even bother, and I sound like pessimistic person, but sometimes you just have to call it as you see it...Catholic is on a another level...but I PROMISE Crest is coming...give it a couple more years.
I sense some bad blood between Crest and CC?

Marvin is interesting. They struggled with Cuthbertson, only put up 18 offensive points yet got 4 takeaways. They got a pick six which looked to be the difference.
We will learn a LOT about them in the last three weeks. They have Sun Valley, Weddington and Catholic. That is a brutal way to finish the season.
Wow, just seen the records of those last 3 teams they have to face. That does look brutal.

Can you give one example of a player Catholic recruited?

I find it so funny how touchy you guys are on that subject. People accuse Crest of doing it all the time. I'm not deep enough in the program to know whether it happens or not...but hey, if it does? so what? It's not illegal until you got caught lol

As far as Catholic goes, I don't care. They're not invincible and I've watched them lose twice in person! Now here is my argument for Catholic...why do you "deserve" the right to compete against public schools? I'm NOT talking about recruiting. I'm honestly asking why do YOU think Catholic should play public schools. I don't care what coaches voted or the NCHSAA...I'm asking YOU personally

Reactions: BD Warrior
Crest is no longer in the title conversation. Too many injuries to starters (6-8) Some season ending(4-5, I think). I just want to get by the first round and keep the 24 year streak of advancing to 2nd round going. If we make it to the 2nd round we will "Line em up and see"

I find it so funny how touchy you guys are on that subject. People accuse Crest of doing it all the time. I'm not deep enough in the program to know whether it happens or not...but hey, if it does? so what? It's not illegal until you got caught lol

As far as Catholic goes, I don't care. They're not invincible and I've watched them lose twice in person! Now here is my argument for Catholic...why do you "deserve" the right to compete against public schools? I'm NOT talking about recruiting. I'm honestly asking why do YOU think Catholic should play public schools. I don't care what coaches voted or the NCHSAA...I'm asking YOU personally

That's what I really meant. Not "recruiting."

South Iredell has 2 close losses to 2 4AA schools West Forsyth and Mooresville. South is led by UNC-Charlotte QB commit Pope. Against 3a opponents South is average over 50 points. They are FAST and aggressive on both offense and defense

Absolutely love it. The team that made it to the Eastern Finals and returned most of their starters Yet all these others teams are supposed to be so great and most have not played teams with at least winning records. Please keep sleeping on the Jacksonville Cardinals

West bias runs rampant on here. Maybe for good reason, not sure. You better believe that New Hanover can throw the ball against any team in the state. Regardless of classification.

3a-
Catholic
EA
WA
Havelock
Orange

3AA-
South Iredell
Dudley
ACR
Alexander Central
AL Brown

This is a pretty good list. I'd add Southern Nash, Eastern Guilford, Jacksonville, Lee County and maybe Mt. Tabor & Kings Mountain too. Not sure yet where some will fall in terms of 3A/AA. By no means is this all inclusive.

In 3A, I wouldn't be so quick to say Catholic hands down, not close, save taxpayer money etc. and yes, I have seen them live. They are probably the favorite. They are very good. No doubt about that but I have seen several of these teams live & a few others on film. There are teams that will be 3A that can give Catholic a whale of a game. There are others that can if they are not 3AA.

In 3AA, a healthy Dudley would still be my favorite & a larger favorite than Catholic in 3A I think. The question is their health. The injury bug seems to have hit a little extra hard.

One thing I am certain of is that 3A/AA is very deep this year. I am also fairly certain that there will be some upsets in the playoffs.

It should be fun.

West bias runs rampant on here. Maybe for good reason, not sure. You better believe that New Hanover can throw the ball against any team in the state. Regardless of classification.

Well Jeffy...maybe because we know more about our west teams here, please give good insight as to why some teams from the East deserve to be mentioned on a message board.

I'm curious as to how Catholic dropped 3A...Have the numbers dropped that much that they went from 4a years back to a 3a school now?

I'm curious as to how Catholic dropped 3A...Have the numbers dropped that much that they went from 4a years back to a 3a school now?
A new Catholic school opened up in 2011 in North Charlotte. Took roughly 200-350 kids from CC resulting in the drop.
Also when CC went 4A they were barely 4A so losing the Huntersville group dropped them back to 3A

Reactions: rockstrong
Cougarfan,
Don't get all hyped up about recruiting. I used to get my pannies in a wad over it, but I just learn to ignore it.
ConnerP is right though no team in unbeatable and Catholic will have a tough road to a state title in the 3A west and with whoever comes out of the east whether that be Southern Nash, Havelock, Western Alamance or a wild card like Eastern Guilford who will sneak up on people.
I agree Hunter Huss will be interesting, they just aren't consistent enough right now for me to say they can compete with Catholic, Kings Mountain and others.

All I can say is we will see in December. The Eastern teams that are out here this year will give the West a game in 3A and 3AA. New Hanover, Jacksonville, Havelock can beat any team that they face out west if any of them make it to the championship game.

The fact that New Hanover is ranked second in this site's poll, should give some idea that we are at least competitive. We are new to 3A so I assume we will be 3AA, having moved down from 4A. We play in a split conference and end the season with Hoggard who are top 10 in 4A. So I do think we should at least get some mention...or maybe not, you'll see soon enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT