ADVERTISEMENT

WHC Hoops 2019-20

Heritage 84

Nov 13, 2018
WHChoops this is started just for you. LOL

Gonna let you kick things off with your conference breakdowns, then I can attempt to shoot them all down if possible. Should be a fun year.

Basketball season cranks up this week for all the teams around Western NC including the the Western Highlands Conference. Many of the men’s teams will be participating in the playoffs with a good chance 5 of the 6 teams are represented this year. What is everyone’s thoughts on how the conference will play out this year??

Men:
It all starts with Heritage. Can go 8-10 deep without missing a beat. They have size, speed and shooting. Could and should make a deep run in the playoffs. No one in the conference should play them close.
After Heritage unfortunately there isn’t anyone who is that talented. There should be a lot of competition among the other 5 schools. Late football runs could slow several teams in getting up to speed.

Women:
Heritage is again the early season favorites coming off a state title and returning most of the key players. However, Mitchell returns their entire roster and could give Heritage a run. After that, Polk and Madison should be much improved as they were very young last season. Avery will be down and no idea on Owen

Go Mountaineers

Bow hunter,
Very good assessments I would think. I do expect the Mitchell and Heritage Ladies to battle it out for the conference title. Avery will lose a lot of scoring and leadership and should be down this year. Madison girls always play tough at their place and will make it difficult for Heritage and Mitchell there. Heritage ladies lost some defense and scoring , but Susie seems to find a way to make things return to normal. And returning the 2A State Championship MVP should not hurt in maintaining her winning ways.

On the boys side there will be most likely 5 teams with a chunk of the basketball talent playing at least into the 3rd or 4th week of November. This has been an issue for Heritage getting up to full stride in the early non conference games and could play a factor this year as well. They could have up to 8 varsity players involved in the playoffs for football and delaying the start for basketball, but I guess that could be a good problem to have.
I would expect Mitchell, Polk, Owen and Avery all to get a playoff berth. So most teams will start late. Madison could benefit most from this and Coach Pate (Heritage Alumni) made a drastic turnaround in their program last year and looks to continue to build their program. With the way Madison has struggled on the gridiron this year I can see them having their team in the gym 2 or 3 weeks ahead of the remainder of the conference men’s teams.

Not sure what to expect from Avery, Polk and Owen but fully expect Mitchell to be battling in the top 3. Hoping all is healthy after football and ready to represent the WHC well.

Boys.
Heritage. If anyone in conference hangs within 20, consider it a win. Big,deep, tons of varsity experience. Best chance heritage has ever had at a state championship in boys basketball. I just hope conference games doesn’t lower their level of play enough to not reach their potential in the playoffs. The rest of the conference will be battling for the scraps.

Girls.
Heritage. Defending 2a state champs. Lost some size and a very experienced guard but return size, great guard play and a coach that’s owned the WHC for years.
Mitchell. Returns everyone. Lacks size but good guard play. Should be able to give heritage a run for the conference.
Polk. Should be better than last year. Overholt should be special this year. She was great her freshman year.
The rest is a toss up. Avery lost a bunch, Madison a bunch, Owen their best player.
I think Heritage has a great chance to repeat and Mitchell has a great chance to go very deep.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
WHChoops glad to finally see you jump in. I started this thread just for you and you went missing.

Mitchell does have very good guard play on the girls side. Would be dangerous in 1A if they had a strong presence in the post.

Lol, I expected your insight! I’ve valued it over the years! Didn’t expect you to throw it back at me. Lol. Mitchell’s post presence will be better just because Huskins is now a senior and Jenkins is now a sophomore.( watch out for Jenkins she’s a phenomenal athlete with good length). Heritage’s guard play will be great as usual but I think Mitchell can match it this year or at least keep it close. Robinson will be key for heritage in those match-ups.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Yes I definitely agree with Jenkins being a valuable asset for the Mitchell ladies. I had actually forgotten about her. At my age that does happen. LOL. She definitely had some games that her energy was key for the Mitchell ladies last year. And Robinson was much improved. They will be more experienced with the pressure of the rivalry games inside the conference and be big contributors..

Heritage ladies will need to have their inside players step up this year to replace Burge and Atkins for rebounding and scoring. Things could get interesting.

Next year Heritage will reload the system with a group currently in middle school that will bring both post players and guards that could contribute as freshman. Susie should have another 4 years of talent coming in.

Always value your input as well. I pick back and forth with some of the Mitchell football guys but it’s all in good fun.

Good for thought 84, Tipton at Mitchell, Johnson and Pittman’s at Avery. How does it shuffle or does it?

Tipton could definitely shift the favorite to Mitchell with this years class and next. I still think Heritage would be in top 2 as Susie would come up with some way of limiting her ability to co trip the game.

Now if Johnson and Pittman we’re back at Avery the conference could be very competitive and Too close to call in my opinion.

Mitchell’s girls looked pretty good today at the freedom jamboree. Played a pretty good Hickory to a 4 pt loss. ( Hickory has 6’4 and 6’3 girls in the post and a 6’ pt guard that can play). They went on to handle a kings Mtn and FT Foard team. Mitchell should be a presence in 1a this yr.

Sounds good we needing some good competitive games to be ready for 2A. I think Heritage girls did pretty well at Excel today as well. Not sure who all they played.

Sounds good we needing some good competitive games to be ready for 2A. I think Heritage girls did pretty well at Excel today as well. Not sure who all they played.
Might be the only competitive games in the conference. And both will need them. I know heritage has a pretty competitive non conference schedule and I think Mitchell’s will be better this year. That cane river girls team will dominate the conference for a while. This might be Mitchell’s best chance. Maybe a good chance next yr but I don’t know. After that, no chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT