ADVERTISEMENT

Whats next Clinton?

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Finally getting over the hangover from that butt whipping.....Shelby was just flat out better and hats off to them and congrats.......So whats next for us?....we lose alot but we have awhole lot coming back.....hard to replace a TJ Boone or a Kris Royal but im sure others will be ready to step up....Wonder if Lewis is considerimg switching it up alil bit....the upcoming senior,junior, and sophmore class all have experience running that spread offense Coach Mike Bell likes to run on JV amd we can still keep the base T formation offense aswell...but thats all up to Bob Lewis of course i would never question what he decides he has more football experience than i have years on the earth lol....With Ryheem Skinner and all the other skill players returning we should be good just have to replace both offense and defensive lines only Joel Jones #74 and Prentice Murphy #88 return on those lines.....next season starts now....classroom,weightroom stay healthy stay eligble and stay hungrey....i experienced the feeling of losing a state championship and it is one of the worse feelings i ever had so remember it and use it as motivation...another great year of Dark horse football and we do get to add another title to the pressbox at DH Stadium Congrats on a great season and 2014 2A State Runner ups lets take that next step...GO HORSES!!!!!

I usually would say winning a ring, but Clinton is in one of the hardest conferences in the state. Winning conference and adapting an offense that includes more passes is what a lot of teams down east are having to learn. Love smashmouth, but when you need to score quickly and multiple times against a good-great defenses running is not going to cut it. Congrats to Clinton on a great season, but what is next? Taking there offensive plays to another level. Yes Skinner is the real deal, but he can't win a title alone.

Originally posted by Darkhorse#34:
Finally getting over the hangover from that butt whipping.....Shelby was just flat out better and hats off to them and congrats.......So whats next for us?....we lose alot but we have awhole lot coming back.....hard to replace a TJ Boone or a Kris Royal but im sure others will be ready to step up....Wonder if Lewis is considerimg switching it up alil bit....the upcoming senior,junior, and sophmore class all have experience running that spread offense Coach Mike Bell likes to run on JV amd we can still keep the base T formation offense aswell...but thats all up to Bob Lewis of course i would never question what he decides he has more football experience than i have years on the earth lol....With Ryheem Skinner and all the other skill players returning we should be good just have to replace both offense and defensive lines only Joel Jones #74 and Prentice Murphy #88 return on those lines.....next season starts now....classroom,weightroom stay healthy stay eligble and stay hungrey....i experienced the feeling of losing a state championship and it is one of the worse feelings i ever had so remember it and use it as motivation...another great year of Dark horse football and we do get to add another title to the pressbox at DH Stadium Congrats on a great season and 2014 2A State Runner ups lets take that next step...GO HORSES!!!!!
Darkhorse , you are right Clinton needs a more balanced attack , if you run the ball 98% of the time a great team like Shelbys will exploit it. Congrats to making it this year to the state title game.

Tyion Wright who is in line to be the starting QB and Kris Williams both have ran the spread on JV under Coach Mike Bell same goes for Skinner Deaver Faison and pretty much all the returning players are familiar with it...but like i said at the end of the day its all up to Coach Lewis
..either way with what we return we can easily win the east again running the same formation but what happens when you run into a Shelby or a Reidsville only time will tell but yesterday was a rude awakening.

spread would have made CHS more dangerous..you guys had nice perimeter speed...T-keeps your speed between the tackles a lot..Padgett was not a fan of the spread..but with our size we had no choice/Lewis in the spread...doubt it.He is old school...SWO return O and D line and are getting a lot of new kids...redistricting and will have true 2A #'s...going into a good athletic area...enrollment to be around 820 from current 657-663 range(seniors from other schools.. will not have come over first year)...finally size and depth..SWO has been pushed around a little at times with the small #'s...you look at the size of SWO compared to CHS in the playoffs and it was amazing...EB had nice size with small #'s,... when you see the tape...a lot of kids both ways and special teams for SWO and EB...SWO already a football school will have around 25 more kids playing Varsity football and a couple of new studs...The coaching situation will be interesting...CHS great season...

This post was edited on 12/14 3:24 PM by 2for3

This post was edited on 12/14 3:45 PM by 2for3

Darkhorse34, Lewis has always stuck pretty hard with his run philosophy and I dont see him changing now. He has always thought that as long as he had the tools, a good smash mouth running game along with a stout defense will eventually prevail. He's been right most of the time. I would like him to keep his system but add some spread to it but cant imagine him doing that. Clinton had a great backfield that was just a good backfield without skinner. He is our most potent weapon. We have to remember after he ran the 40 yard TD yesterday, he was hurt shortly after and as far as Im concerned he was never a factor in the game again. Lewis said it changed his game plan from there on. Skinner not being a factor against a team like Shelby means we have no chance. It remains to be seen what could have been with a healthy skinner. He seems to find a way just as he did on the 40 yard run. It surely wasnt wide open for him around that corner. Im not saying we would have won with a healthy skinner at all. That would have been a major task with a special team like Shelby. I had no idea they were that big, but I think we could have at least been much more competitive. As Shelby was fumbling the game away to us in the 1st half, Skinner is in the locker room.

Have to give skinner dap...he had heart and tried...Shelby 's D front was amazing...Hard to believe no more HS FB

I know what your saying Horsefly but i would think they would add alil in kinda like Coach Bell does on the JV team they run alot of spread formations but also run the standard T formation the core group returning is very familiar with it and Tyion Wright who is in line to be the starting QB next season and his back up upcoming sophmore Kris Williams are both very mobile and are capable of running that offense...just a thought.....either way next year as long as we rebuild the lines we should be even better and FASTER!!!....Wright at QB Skinner,Deaver,and Oates as the running backs and Faison as the main full back that offense is goin to be hell next year

I think Lewis philosophy works most of the time. Im kinda old school myself but I would like to see him add(some spread maybe) something to what he has, not replace it. Add something keeping the smash mouth run mindset first. The problem is in my opinion, you dont just need to practice it, you also need to use it during the season in every game whether the run is working or not just to stay good at it. You cant just pull it out of your hat and try to use it in a tough game in the playoffs and not have used it in the last 10 games because the run was working. We have all seen that before and it dont work. We will see what he does. We had a descent little pass threat this year to keep that defense off us but only used it when absolutely needed. If the spread was added and only used 7 or 8 times per game would be better than nothing.

Ive always loved to watch Clinton and Tarboro out of the straight T offense.... So much so when I started coaching my sons Mighty Mite team I put the straight T in.... Left halfback below scored 40 touchdowns this season in 12 games...My boy is Fullback in below pic :)..... Indirectly Coach Lewis in 1997 gave me an idea...Hence reason I use this offense....... Love old smashmouth

Before I forget it, look how big these young'uns we play are.... We are always the smallest of the bunch.... We beat them 38-6 that game however :)

1229992_10200787351106368_2020002314_n.jpg

This post was edited on 12/15 8:00 AM by Shelby Lion

Sounds like you Clinton fans are having the same discussion us Shelby fans were having a couple of years ago. Shelby had always relied on a strong running attack but it was time for a change. I agree with Shelby Lion about the love for smash mouth, but nowadays, an offense has to have balance. A team cannot have an offense that is one-dimensional and hope to enjoy a lot of success, especially against stout defenses. I absolutely loved watching the Taylor and Norman Shelby teams (some great teams during those years)...but times change and Coach Ware has done what was necessary at Shelby. It was an interesting transition, but Shelby is now reaping the rewards.

So I know where you guys are at in your thinking but in the end, it is up to what the coach thinks is best. Clinton has a good coach and I am sure the future will continue to be bright for Clinton.

This post was edited on 12/14 6:39 PM by Golden_Lion_007

I watched the game on TWC. Shelby was the better team and physically dominated the LOS, but I think Clinton could have benefited from some formations utilizing a TE and a slot receiver on some short routes, which keeps the linebackers from staying in the box and focusing almost exclusively on the run. When Clinton went to 2 wideouts in the 2nd half Shelby was able to stay in single coverage which still left 9 to rush the QB and cover the run. But no doubt #22 getting hurt impacted their game plan, b/c he looked very capable on their first possession.
Looks like enough returning talent from both teams that a rematch next year is certainly a possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT