ADVERTISEMENT

What the Charlotte Disturber thinks about their coverage area....

Burns1985

Oct 19, 2013
Rk.School (Cl)Spring Rec.
1.Chambers (4A)10-1
2.Hough (4A)8-1
3.Butler (4A)8-2
4.Richmond Senior (4A)4-1
5.Charlotte Catholic (3A)9-1
6.Myers Park (4A)9-1
7.Providence (4A)7-2
8.Weddington (4A)6-1
9.Burns (2A)6-3
10.Shelby (2A)6-3
11.Charlotte Christian (IND)6-1
12.Monroe (2A)7-3
13.Salisbury (2A)9-2
14.Providence Day (IND)4-2
15.Ardrey Kell (4A)6-2
16.Crest (4A)6-2

Not just Charlotte, WS Journal and Greensboro Record has one person (shared) for all of their markets they cover for HS sports. I think the WS journal has 1 sports reporter left.

Not just Charlotte, WS Journal and Greensboro Record has one person (shared) for all of their markets they cover for HS sports. I think the WS journal has 1 sports reporter left.
Mooresville Tribune and Record and Landmark aren’t any better so I think most newspapers place are struggling imo

Reactions: beamer24
Well for the record, I am key in helping with putting together the Sweet 16's, and I think they are pretty solid. While I didn't put Crest as a 4A team, they are still solid.

Yes, the newspaper business as we all grew up with and loved is not what it was, nor with it ever be. Gone are the days where the Observer would have 17 or 18 sports writers with two or three dedicated to the high school beat. Now, Langston Wertz, Jr. not only handles the entire Charlotte paper but also the entire high school section of the Raleigh News & Observer.

You'll also see my role increase with them as I'll be working with both papers to put out some articles and content. This is just a new era, and it's nobody's fault other than the changing times and technologies. People just don't subscribe to the papers like they once did, and advertisement revenue is way down as well.

Reactions: beamer24
I am guilty, I no longer get the WS Journal daily in my yard. I do subscribe to the digital version. It cost less for a year than a month of delivery.

I will say that, I am an old fart and did enjoy the paper, but I quit when they quit being local on their coverage You can read national headlines anywhere free, I wanted the paper for local, but mostly abandoned that.

I will now get off my soapbox.

Yes, the newspaper business as we all grew up with and loved is not what it was, nor with it ever be. Gone are the days where the Observer would have 17 or 18 sports writers with two or three dedicated to the high school beat. Now, Langston Wertz, Jr. not only handles the entire Charlotte paper but also the entire high school section of the Raleigh News & Observer.

You'll also see my role increase with them as I'll be working with both papers to put out some articles and content. This is just a new era, and it's nobody's fault other than the changing times and technologies. People just don't subscribe to the papers like they once did, and advertisement revenue is way down as well.

Ha poor Langston. I just assumed N&O calculated Nick Stevens was too far ahead in the triangle market. Take the good fight to him !

Reactions: notanyonesfan

Even local TV stations are deemphasizing sports coverage. That being said taking the iPad to the bathroom is not the same as having a newspaper. LOL

I know the feeling. I do sports for two newspapers now - Lexington and Asheboro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT