ADVERTISEMENT

What the 1-aa west will look like

had 1a numbers in '89, '90, '91 and '92, fact.
BK doesn’t know what to do with facts. They been crying about the real state champs for years. Deep down though they know what was up in 92 when Murphy clowned them.

Just to clear things up , why did Murphy not compete in the playoffs that year ? An honest explanation please not a Murphy or Robbinsville spin on the facts.

If you win small 1A you should get a participation trophy because it's that bad. Murphy will find a way to be in this class I can promise you that.

Just to clear things up , why did Murphy not compete in the playoffs that year ? An honest explanation please not a Murphy or Robbinsville spin on the facts.
murphy had an agreement with the board, murphy claimed a travel hardship because no other schools around were as big as them, so they would have to travel to far to play schools their size. So the board agreed to let them play 1A ball every other year, the 92 year was one of the years they had to play 2A. They got their butt kicked by another 2A team, since then they have done everything they can to stay in the 1a, even thou the school has grown in size.

murphy had an agreement with the board, murphy claimed a travel hardship because no other schools around were as big as them, so they would have to travel to far to play schools their size. So the board agreed to let them play 1A ball every other year, the 92 year was one of the years they had to play 2A. They got their butt kicked by another 2A team, since then they have done everything they can to stay in the 1a, even thou the school has grown in size.
Murphy will play anyone they have beat many larger schools in the past.

Wrong dog boy
Ok facts to prove its wrong. Although I was very young when those were won it was a 1A/2A split conference and after you got out of west 1/A was very weak Check the facts and let me know. I’ll wait for your reply. BTW Murphy had 2 2A state ships in those years 70 and 74 Check the records. I will give credit where credit is due Robbinsville did win 1/A in one of those years and beat Sylva Webster the same yr. SW would go on to win the State 2A ship that yr. Those are the facts not the BS your throwing out. Many of those yes you had a 1A state ship you lost to either Murphy Swain Sylva or Franklin or many times lost to a combination of those teams. Yes they did have a few undefeated seasons but not many

Last edited:

Close, but here is my recollections base on the event 25 years ago. Murphy was assigned to 2A based on ADMs. They appealed and were placed in 1A. This ruling was appealed by 2 other 1A schools(not including Robbinsville). The state gave Murphy the choice of playing 2A or 1A with the restriction that they could not participate in a sports playoffs in two consecutive years. Murphy elected to accept the restrictions. In the fuzzy corners of my mind it seems as if they were not allowed to appeal until the end of the fourth year. I think this is accurate.

Awful lot of negativity coming in towards the dawgs!! I’m a Granite Bear fan and I can attest that there isn’t to many of these people posting this b.s. that want to see the dawgs sitting in there parking lot come the third round. Yes that’s us included, we have had some wars with the dawgs but win or lose those wars are always a battle, much respect here for coach Gentry and the Murphy program all the way around. Must be doing something right when there’s so much jealousy out there

Pretty handy with the stats. Put up Gentry’s record against schools the same size as Murphy and larger. That would be some worthwhile reading

Reactions: Magnum45
Thomas jefferson has always been small 1a

How could anyone put TJ in the 1aa braclet? TJ is one of the smallest 1a schools in the state. And in place of Murphy? LOL...I get he's maybe just trying to be funny...But still why not Mitchell, for example, replacing Murphy? Picking TJ to be in 1aa is litterally the stupidest crap ever...even if you are just trying to be funny.

May see Murphy Mt Airy rematch. Is Murphy team better than last year?

I think defensively absoulutely, offensively they have a high ceiling but haven't peaked yet . There is still alot of football to be played.

To answer that the best I can I think they can be a better team than last year. Really hard to answer because this team is still growing each week.

I think defensively absoulutely, offensively they have a high ceiling but haven't peaked yet . There is still alot of football to be played.

To answer that the best I can I think they can be a better team than last year. Really hard to answer because this team is still growing each week.
It's harder to tell how good they are mostly because of the weak competition that they have been forced to play week in and week out. Started out the season against Pisgah, lost by a score with more injuries than is believable for an opening game. Played Franklin, who normally is top-notch .... and they turn out to be a shell of their normal selves. Then, here comes the parade of laughers ... Central Davidson, North Georgian Falcons, Greenwood Raptors (back out at the last minute forcing an open week), solid Robbinsville team on the road, Andrews (young and inexperienced), an open date, and finally Hayesville (running clock 2 minutes into the second quarter). The Dogs have Swain this week and who knows what that means. Swain on one Friday will be typical Swain and on another week will lose by 50 to Smoky Mountain. After that we have Rosman and Cherokee, who seems to have fallen fast. My feeling is that this team can really rise fast, they just need a challenge in front of them.

Bout to hit 400 sooooo yeah you right...pretty worthwhile
I’ll give credit where it’s due. Nothing but respect for your program and all it’s accomplished. I just asked for a stat since you were tossing them out. Again, congrats on reaching the 400 win milestone probably only a handful of coaches can claim that. Can someone provide the info I asked for ?

Reactions: dogman35

Is this true? If so that's pathetic. I am amazed how Murphy always seems to slip under that certain number that would have them playing some real competition. I was shocked last year when they actually had to play 1AA.

Reactions: rville20
Is this true? If so that's pathetic. I am amazed how Murphy always seems to slip under that certain number that would have them playing some real competition. I was shocked last year when they actually had to play 1AA.

You are shocked and amazed, with your limited knowledge we are not surprised. BTW Murphy did not compete 2A in the off years, they just sat out the playoffs.

You are shocked and amazed, with your limited knowledge we are not surprised. BTW Murphy did not compete 2A in the off years, they just sat out the playoffs.

So you're telling me that Murphy sat out the playoffs just to avoid playing real competition? That's kind of what they do now except they just playing small 1A.

Mt. Airy and Murphy will do their best to stay out of 1AA. They know they have NO chance at winning anything outside of 1A. That's a historical FACT.

So you're telling me that Murphy sat out the playoffs just to avoid playing real competition? That's kind of what they do now except they just playing small 1A.

No, that is not what was said. Your lack of knowledge is rivaled only by your inability to process information and draw accurate conclusions.

Murphy and Mount Airy are historical powerehouses in NC. They dont fear anyone.

Look at how many times they have played ANY schools outside of their conference that are power houses. Better yet, how many times they play up? They have and always will do their best to stay 1A. They know how to manipulate the system and kudos to them. Don't get it twisted, they are good. Not the dominant powerhouse programs that you see in other states. Big fish in very small ponds.

I've had sons at Murphy since 2012 and this gets rehashed every year. They are a 1a ream. Last year a little higher enrollment and 1aa regional appearance. This year maybe 1a it'll be one or the other. Get over it folks they are borderline 1aa or 1a. Win your games cheer for your team and please kill this subject. It gets old year after year.

I personally feel Murphy will go 1a this season. If I am not mistaken they had a large graduation class last year. Larger than the average Murphy graduation class. I am glad too because they are potentially a tougher matchup for Swain this season than others in the Western bracket. Murphy has more knowledge of Swain being a conference rival. This boosts our chances of going further into the playoffs. We will find out more about this 2018 Swain team Friday night at Murphy. I would not want to go back to Murphy in the playoffs if we loose Friday. But if we win then I would enjoy Murphy coming back to Swain in the playoffs. Either way it’s going to be fun to watch.

I personally feel Murphy will go 1a this season. If I am not mistaken they had a large graduation class last year. Larger than the average Murphy graduation class. I am glad too because they are potentially a tougher matchup for Swain this season than others in the Western bracket. Murphy has more knowledge of Swain being a conference rival. This boosts our chances of going further into the playoffs. We will find out more about this 2018 Swain team Friday night at Murphy. I would not want to go back to Murphy in the playoffs if we loose Friday. But if we win then I would enjoy Murphy coming back to Swain in the playoffs. Either way it’s going to be fun to watch.
Murphy
2018 graduated class 106
2019 128
2020. 134
2021. 142
2022. 105
Must keep early college kids in mind these numbers could be little lower not much.This is June 2018 adm final number

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT