ADVERTISEMENT

What Southwest, East Duplin coaches had to say about 4 champs

Some ppl cant see outside their little bubble.
He was worried about 900 vs 1500.

How about 250/300 vs almost 700?
Thats a much bigger gap.

Reactions: UNC91
also, many of the points they made about watered down playoffs are null, as they are still taking 64 teams. It will actually make MORE blowouts in the 1A playoffs probably.

Reactions: BK13T-$
How are they null? In the past, 1A and 4A were subdivided and took 96 teams total. 2A and 3A were subdivided and took 128 teams total.

Seems to me with four classifications with 64 teams total in each (if that is indeed the plan) that is less teams? Maybe I am the one confused but less teams means less likelihood of playoffs being watered down.

Something me and those coaches quoted are missing??

We actually will have MORE playoff teams now.

While winning a championship WILL be tougher obviously, with all 64 teams in the same bracket, some early games, especially in 1A, will be less competitive.

Its no big deal really either way, but theres a difference in the watering down of state champions and the watering down of the playoffs as a whole.

I agree we had too many. I think 5 or 6 is plenty.

I still dont see how there will be more playoff teams under this. Maybe I am still missing something very plain for everyone else to see.

Last year 448 (96 1A and 4A, 128 2A and 3A) teams made playoffs sub-divided. Under this proposal 256 (64 each class)teams make playoffs.

I wont argue the point that some games in 1A and 4A might not be competitive especially in early rounds but I think the days of seeing a 11-0 team play a 2-9 team in the first round are over.

I also agree that 5 classifications make more sense now if there is no longer sub-dividing.

By the Fence- you're just having a brain fart, man lol. Youre doubling the playoff teams. there have only been 48 totaol playoff teams in 1 and 4A and 64 in 2A and 3A, then theyve been subdivided into two brackets. We are going from 224 total playoff berths to 256.

I'm not sure 1A will be able to have a 64-team bracket. You will have 1-9 teams making it again because so many 1A schools don't play football. Makes more sense to do 48 there.

We actually will have MORE playoff teams now.

While winning a championship WILL be tougher obviously, with all 64 teams in the same bracket, some early games, especially in 1A, will be less competitive.

Its no big deal really either way, but theres a difference in the watering down of state champions and the watering down of the playoffs as a whole.

I agree we had too many. I think 5 or 6 is plenty.
5 classifications was the way to go with 1a and 5a smaller in numbers

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
By the Fence- you're just having a brain fart, man lol. Youre doubling the playoff teams. there have only been 48 totaol playoff teams in 1 and 4A and 64 in 2A and 3A, then theyve been subdivided into two brackets. We are going from 224 total playoff berths to 256.
Duh.....never was good at math and that was 50 years ago. Sorry for the babbling.......

48 might be ideal, but I still think you may see 64 in 1A. Less football schools than there used to be with so many charters and preps, so I agree 48 might be ideal. But ive learned that trying to figure out the NCHSAA is impossible at best.

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT