ADVERTISEMENT

What if?

Fox2XYHook

Nov 28, 2013
As much as I want football season to happen this, the longer the unknown continues the less confident I am that we will have a season. I hope that I am wrong. For a minute, let's assume there are no fall sports this year. Let me be clear: I do not have fortune-telling abilities nor have I arrived at any answers myself. These are some questions I have been asking myself the last few days. What do you all think will be the effects? In particular ...

How will a year without football affect participation next year? Will numbers go up or down?
Will there be an decline in student populations from public schools?
Should seniors who do not move away for college or play college ball be granted another year of eligibility?
How would not having football for a year affect coaching changes next year? Will coaches stay in place or continue to move at the rates we have seen in years past?

Quick political aside, Biden's running mate is critical, because I dont see him lasting 4 years for a multitude of reasons if he won.

Anyway... I think right now the likely, best case scenario is a start after Labor Day if not later with a shortened season.

As much as I want football season to happen this, the longer the unknown continues the less confident I am that we will have a season. I hope that I am wrong. For a minute, let's assume there are no fall sports this year. Let me be clear: I do not have fortune-telling abilities nor have I arrived at any answers myself. These are some questions I have been asking myself the last few days. What do you all think will be the effects? In particular ...

How will a year without football affect participation next year? Will numbers go up or down?
Will there be an decline in student populations from public schools?
Should seniors who do not move away for college or play college ball be granted another year of eligibility?
How would not having football for a year affect coaching changes next year? Will coaches stay in place or continue to move at the rates we have seen in years past?

Absolutely not on the “additional year of eligibility” issue. No way. No how. High School isn’t about that. Graduate and get on with your life. I love high school sports and Would encourage every single kid to participate in every single sport that they can... but you don’t put your life on hold for it. Move on.

Sure, there will be a few kids who might miss out on that Division 1 opportunity... but it won’t be many.
College football can still be played if that is their desire. There are quite a few local “13th grade” colleges that will let just about anyone come out and participate. I think of Greensboro, Guilford and that kind of school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT