ADVERTISEMENT

What fall Friday nights in Bryson City were like

excellent reading...the writer can really set the atomsphere for the friday nights lights of the SMC....one vivid memory I have of that time frame was a Swain/Murphy game that was postponed to saturday night at the old stadium in Bryson City. Also that saturday night App St was playing at WCU in Cullowhee. A State patrolman walked by and told a fella he had just arrived from EJ Whitmire stadium in Cullowhee and theres more people here for this game than the college game ! Even though my Dogs lost that night I was proud to hear Swain and Murphy probably outdrew ASU/WCU LOL !!

Last edited:
no not cold this was a september game....not cold...back then murphy and swain played twice every year....

That was an absolutely wonderful read. This brought tears to my eyes: "It was one of the most joyous nights of my life. I had made a difference. I had become, in one glorious instant, part of the team and part of the community. From that moment on, for the rest of the game, I wasn’t watching their game, I was watching our game." I vividly remember that moment happening for me at one of my first Tarboro High games...I was much younger, 10 years old, and just a spectator, my first Tarboro game, and I had no impact on the game but Kelvin Bryant made me a believer. Here's to all our heroes and the great memories they gave us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT