ADVERTISEMENT

What can you guys tell me about Andrews HS basketball (Cherokee County)

Smallest school in their conference with 250-275 students most years. They had the same coach for decades and had some success under him (they won back to back sectional titles in the early 2000s) but it's been a decade or so since they were really competitive. Town has been hit hard by industry leaving, but you won't find a more beautiful area to live.

Goes in cycles like any small school, but overall I guess that's a relative issue. If you're talking just track meet speed and leaping ability, teams from west of Asheville are generally considered less athletic than teams from other areas of the state, but on a mountain scale the athletes at Andrews aren't bad. But with such a small school, there's other issues, particularly depth and the fact that most of the better athletes play multiple sports so there aren't going to be many kids who play year round.

Next year will probably be Cherokee, Swain, and Hayesville at the top, not necessarily in that order.

Three of the smallest schools in the state are in the conference. Andrew the cherokee and Robbinsville.

I cannot tell a lie.....it is me...I have accepted the position at Andrews. Whirlwind few days but I think it is a good move for me, considering I moved to the area.

They run a good high school sports blog...probably the best thing that paper puts out.

Best of luck at Andrews. It's a small school, and they've been down a few years, but they had teams in the early-to-mid 2000s that could hang with anyone. Their 2001 team might have been state championship quality if they were a year younger...they had the bad luck of running into Burlington Cummings in the state quarterfinals the year before Cummings bumped back up to 2A (and proceeded to win 4 of the next 6 2A titles). Hope to see the Wildcats back to being a force on the hardwood.

They run a good high school sports blog...probably the best thing that paper puts out.

Best of luck at Andrews. It's a small school, and they've been down a few years, but they had teams in the early-to-mid 2000s that could hang with anyone. Their 2001 team might have been state championship quality if they were a year younger...they had the bad luck of running into Burlington Cummings in the state quarterfinals the year before Cummings bumped back up to 2A (and proceeded to win 4 of the next 6 2A titles). Hope to see the Wildcats back to being a force on the hardwood.

If we aren't a force, it won't be for not trying. LOL

Welcome to Andrews and congratulations !! You have a team coming back that got a lot of playing time and experience. Our 5 seniors that graduated last year got little playing time so you will have a experienced team. I am a die hard fan and look forward to seeing a very competitive Wildcat team this year

Thanks Chute...Appreciate the kind words. Did you see us play at EG?

Yes, sir. Quite a few times. IIRC, you had the services of Brandon Hairston and Butch Huffman at your disposal. I really enjoyed watching both of those guys ball. I think Adam Gunn was on those teams also. Not sure about that one though...

Yes, sir. Quite a few times. IIRC, you had the services of Brandon Hairston and Butch Huffman at your disposal. I really enjoyed watching both of those guys ball. I think Adam Gunn was on those teams also. Not sure about that one though...

Yep...had all three at the same time. Loved those guys! All competitors....a lot of fun to coach for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT