ADVERTISEMENT

Western North Carolina High School Activities Association

Fourth'n'Inches

Nov 2, 2003
Parts Unknown
The only possible immediate solution to this problem is for the "traditional" 1A schools to leave the NCHSAA and form their own Association. The Western North Carolina High School Activities Association (WNCHSAA) operated from 1929-1977 and ultimately dissolved and the schools became part of the NCHSAA. I think it's time that "traditional" 1A school administrators start looking at going back to their own Association in an effort to create a more even playing field in 1A sports. This problem is just getting worse year after year and the NCHSAA and NC General Assembly couldn't care less. The time to act is now and I urge each and every concerned fan of 1A athletics to contact their local coaches, athletic director, central office, and school board. Strength lies in numbers, and if there is enough momentum and support I honestly believe that it can be done. I have heard that a few SMC schools have seriously considered this option. It has been done before and it can be done again!

Excerpt from the NCHSAA website about the WNCHSAA (full link below):

The Western North Carolina High School Activities Association was founded on December 10, 1929. Charter members included Belmont, Concord, Kings Mountain, Lexington, Lincolnton, Monroe, Newton, Mooresville, Black Mountain, Cliffside, Hickory, Lenoir, Marion, Morganton, and Rutherfordton-Spindale. The WNCHSAA grew to 42 members in four conferences before it was dissolved in June of 1977 and its members joined the NCHSAA.

Only three of the 42 members failed to win a Western title in some sport during the WNCHSAA’s existence. W.C. Clary served for many years as executive director of the organization.

From 1930-1953, the WNCHSAA had two conferences, South Piedmont and Western, and later there were four conferences. Playoffs were held in a number of sports, including football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, wrestling, track and field and other sports.

it will take strong leader and some administrators with balls to get the discussion to pickup steam.

What's the maximum enrollment? Will that number fluctuate each alignment and if so how is it determined? Can schools compete if they have students that do not live in the actual district? Can students change schools without physically moving but be eligible to play sports at their new school? Should the new association override the various system rules for GPA and attendance making it the same for all? Would there be different offseason practice rules for sports especially football? Could schools play more games in non football sports than currently allowed to add money to their budget? Would it be statewide so all small traditional publics could participate? Would home schooled students be allowed to play? Would early college students be included in the ADM?

I think there would be a lot of new rules that would come up for discussion.

How loud is the outcry from 1A schools from around the state in regards to this unlevel playing field?

If there is a lot of vocal opposition to what is happening, but nothing is being done? Then, the NCHSAA is devoid of leadership, and that leadership needs to be brought into question, and replaced by it's membership!

If there is NOT a lot of vocal opposition from 1A Coaches and Administrators from around the state: Then, what is the NCHSAA suppose too do, since they are not hearing any opposition from a majority of the 1A membership?

It's a problem that can ONLY be solved by the 1A Coaches and Administrators who want to voice their concerns and desires for atheletic equality for all schools with similar enrollment....

Is the system currently unfair?.....Absolutely!

Will it get fixed anytime soon?..... It doesn't look likely if ONLY the 1A fans are the LONE voice of opposition!

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
The problem is the coaches, ADs, and administrators do not work together but work for the most part with their personal/school interest. Many administrators are not that concerned with sports, some do not understand it, and others are not going to rock the boat.

It takes more than complaining. It takes a unified front that presents information and offers some solutions.

Set a date to protest. I bet we would have many show up! I would!

Set a date to protest. I bet we would have many show up! I would!
How about Saturday, March 12 at the 1A State Championship game. I'm sure it might get a little bit of media and press coverage (no pun intended) if there were several dozen fans out on the court with signs during the game. Wonder how long it would take them to round everyone up and get us all off the court. Could make for an interesting game!

BK- as a courtesy to customers if you all go to this protest, please at least put out an announcement that the Robbinsville Waffle House will be closed on Saturday, March 12. Thank you.

Reactions: swett2victory
If you are serious, you should try to talk football Coach David Diamont from East Surry to spear head the NEW Western North Carolina High School Athletic Association. He was in the NC House for 20 years and knows people throughout western North Carolina. He has told me many times how difficult, if not impossible, to compete with WS Prep and Bishop in girls and boys basketball. Those schools are all in the same 1-A conference (Northwest 1-A).

How about Saturday, March 12 at the 1A State Championship game. I'm sure it might get a little bit of media and press coverage (no pun intended) if there were several dozen fans out on the court with signs during the game. Wonder how long it would take them to round everyone up and get us all off the court. Could make for an interesting game!

I would definitely be all in but I have to work. I was going to take it off if Avery made it that far but I done told the boss man I would work it. If y'all go though make a big sign for me.
"2 4A's enter, but only 1 4A can be crowned 1A champ." Then someone could stand beside of the 1st sign with another that reads " You can cut the tention with a knife". Lol. Sure that would get some attention.

If you are on the court it could get you arrested firctreso
If you are serious, you should try to talk football Coach David Diamont from East Surry to spear head the NEW Western North Carolina High School Athletic Association. He was in the NC House for 20 years and knows people throughout western North Carolina. He has told me many times how difficult, if not impossible, to compete with WS Prep and Bishop in girls and boys basketball. Those schools are all in the same 1-A conference (Northwest 1-A).

He has voiced his opinion / concerns on this before at the football coaches meeting. They (editing to add: The other coaches) do not care as it is not their problem which is the issue with this and many other items that are unfair to someone.

Last edited:
Well if they really do not care, then there is no need for negotiations. It's time to hit them in the pocketbook. If they really feel that way, pull out now then its their problem. I just hope that if something isn't done to resolve these issues that all the real 1A schools stand together and show they have a back bone. Then let's see how much cash they lose at the gates and let's see what they do come tourney time.

Saw highlights of the girls game (prep vs Atkins) look like a very small crowd, they should start to draw attention to the issue but bottom line the state is not going to do anything to address this issue because they don't see it as a problem with the magnet, charter, and parochial schools. It will be interesting to see if Prep girls even have a team next year with 7 of the 9 players seniors and no JV team.
Why won't the newspapers ask Prep coach about this? Is it because they don't want to know the truth. Prep girls have 3 players on this years team that start their high school career somewhere else. Claytor (Glenn) Craig (Weddington) and Grant(West Carteret) They have all transfer under the rules set up by the NCHSAA and are eligible. They are a very good team that will be hard to beat on March 12th . But

VIKING STRONG the "they" in my post are the other coaches. If it does not directly affect a school or more precisely the team of a particular coach then there is little support on most matters. Have noticed this for years and part of the reason our football out of season practice rules are so ridiculous.

Saw highlights of the girls game (prep vs Atkins) look like a very small crowd.

Prep girls have 3 players on this years team that start their high school career somewhere else. Claytor (Glenn) Craig (Weddington) and Grant(West Carteret) They have all transfer under the rules set up by the NCHSAA and are eligible. They are a very good team that will be hard to beat on March 12th . But

The rules are those of the local school system. There were votes in the last few years on various eligibility requirements.

The NCHSAA is the schools and the schools are the ones that get change. The admin in Chapel Hill follow the votes of the elected board members which represent the school. No one from the admin in Chapel Hill has a vote on the board. It's starts with the coach, AD, principal, and superintendent. The get their board member teps to vote on a topic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT