ADVERTISEMENT

Western Highlands Conference JV change

BlueVols

Jun 27, 2003
I'm hearing that Madison, Yancey, Mitchell and Avery counties will be running JV foot ball like the Smoky Mtn Conference with grades 7-8-9 and varsity will be 10-12. Madison Middle has been playing in the Blue Ridge Conference. The last I knew Cane River, E. Yancey, Bowman, Harris, and the consolidated Avery team were in the Toe River Conference but I believe I had heard earlier that Mitchell and Yancey had combined or were going to combine their MS teams also. Does anyone have more insight on this?

I'm hearing that Madison, Yancey, Mitchell and Avery counties will be running JV foot ball like the Smoky Mtn Conference with grades 7-8-9 and varsity will be 10-12. Madison Middle has been playing in the Blue Ridge Conference. The last I knew Cane River, E. Yancey, Bowman, Harris, and the consolidated Avery team were in the Toe River Conference but I believe I had heard earlier that Mitchell and Yancey had combined or were going to combine their MS teams also. Does anyone have more insight on this?
If you have Facebook Cranberry Middle Facebook had something about on their page.

Our whole conference will be jv 7,8,9 and Varsity 10,11,12. Mitchell has been combined and Heritage is combining middle school this year. I also think Avery is one middle school team.

Our whole conference will be jv 7,8,9 and Varsity 10,11,12. Mitchell has been combined and Heritage is combining middle school this year. I also think Avery is one middle school team.
So would that include Owen? Owen Middle has played in the Buncombe Co. Conference in the past.

Avery has had one combined MS team for about five years or so, I think. They were the first to do it.

Avery combined in 2016 if I am not mistaken and Mitchell combined the following year. If I remember correct.

I wish this format could happen in the Southern Piedmont this year. But Burns and Shelby play with Crest, Kings Mountain, the Rutherford County schools and the Lincoln County schools in middle school so it wouldn’t work.

Other than Rosman I don't see why this needs done in that confrence.
Another thing is junior high kids can't play ANY on varsity unless it a freshman and once he plays varsity he can't play JH any more. One or the other no more 15 quarter rule. You can't play any out of confrence games unless it smc teams.
It makes it harder to get non con games.

The SMV JH champ could play the WHC champ last game if year.

Reactions: owen98
Owen and Madison will play in this format. The whole conference is doing it

Other than Rosman I don't see why this needs done in that confrence.
Another thing is junior high kids can't play ANY on varsity unless it a freshman and once he plays varsity he can't play JH any more. One or the other no more 15 quarter rule. You can't play any out of confrence games unless it smc teams.
It makes it harder to get non con games.

The SMV JH champ could play the WHC champ last game if year.

It comes with some challenges and problems for sure, but as I continue to hear about football participation numbers dropping across the state at schools of all level, I would not be surprised if more 1A and 2A conferences move in this direction. At the end of the day it requires you to field two teams from grades 7 through 12 rather than three.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT