ADVERTISEMENT

West Stanly @ Albemarle

1-1,0-2, 0-3, or even 0-4, our record really doesn't matter at this point. I will say winning games gives the team confidence so in that regard, the record does matter. Albemarle has played a decent 2A team and a above average 3A team, without all of our starters. That being said, it's not time to fire the flare guns off and signal that our ship is sinking. Yes, our defense must improve, and it will improve, if nothing more than just playing games and getting experience. We all remember in 2007 we got our but kicked by West Montgomery 41-10, we beat West Stanly 15-13 in a game we should have lost. We were getting killed at North Stanly and came all the way back to win 30-27. We entered the playoffs with a 7-4 record, in the third round we went to Mt.Airy to play the #1 seed Bears. They had not even been trailing in a game all year. We came out of there with in my opinion one of the best playoff wins (34-23) in Bulldog history considering "OUR RECORD". We played WM in the West Regional Finals the next week and lost 12-7. We blocked a field goal and returned it for a TD, but alas it was called back for roughing the kicker. I won't even go into that call. Anyway, my point is, the Bulldogs always pull it together and become a legitimate threat come playoff time. WE WILL HAVE A GOOD SEASON, and who knows what can happen in the playoffs. If that 2007 team can do it, all Bulldog teams can, will do it. GO DOGS

The same things where said the last two years. We don't stand a chance against West is a common phrase after starting 0~2. We are still the most Athletic Team in the County. We have got to hit because these Teams in Stanly County can't take getting hit. We will be able to score Friday. Just lay into these Ball Haulers on Defense

I don't recall a drive that was not aided by a penalty after the opening drive. You had the fumble that was not a fumble, the wrapped up QB that unloaded the ball in the grasp roughing the passer call on WM, and the time the entire WS line fired off the ball without a snap of the ball and the 45 second ref conference before calling WM offsides that sustained a drive. I don't think they scored on that one though.
The roughing the qb call and another one either on Tezz or someone jumped offsides where we had them stopped bit those calls gave them new life resulting in td's that's all I'm saying. I remember the crowd booing like crazy......

I had a long conversation last night and I was told some "Interesting" info. All positive.

As far as the corners go, I was told that it will be fixed come Friday. It's happened 2 weeks straight and it won't happen again. Linebackers are still a ?. We might see a kicker also.

@fallenmpireofalbemarle your tag speaks volumes. But according to your post, anything is possible....strange.

@BulldogsFollower, thoes Jackson's put out very good athletes.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
While watching the game fri night at Concord, me and some of the guys got to talking about something that hasn't been mentioned about this Albemarle team. Something that we've always had but don't seem to this year. Overall team speed. We seem slow compared to years past. Team speed. You either have it or you don't. Not something that can be taught or learned. Think it is really hurting us on defense. What to do about it. Think we have to learn to always be in position to make plays. When we are out of position we can't recover and make the play with speed. Just something to think about. I'm sure the coaches are well aware of it.

Reactions: sway1532
I had a long conversation last night and I was told some "Interesting" info. All positive.

As far as the corners go, I was told that it will be fixed come Friday. It's happened 2 weeks straight and it won't happen again. Linebackers are still a ?. We might see a kicker also.

@fallenmpireofalbemarle your tag speaks volumes. But according to your post, anything is possible....strange.

@BulldogsFollower, thoes Jackson's put out very good athletes.
I have been harping on this for 2 weeks now. The linebackers and corners are the biggest weaknesses on this team. I would make this my first priority at practice this week. Jackson seems to be WS's offense. Period. If we can't contain him on the corners it will be a long night. I'm sure the coaches are aware of this and will address it this coming week.

Right now, we should be 1-1 is all I can say. I'm praying that they make this adjustment or it will get ugly real quick. If West Montgomery players had trouble containing him, just imagine how we'll do. WM has 2 athletes at every position compared to us.

On top of that, West Stanly seems to hit pretty well. I heard one of WM running backs went down.

We need a win. Any kind of win. WS seems to be improved and we are decimated by injuries and suspenions. Might get AJ back this week and maybe one more. Will that be enough?
Friend of mine on CP's watched the game and wants to know why we don't have more spacing with our OL. Have to ask coach Smith. Guess he wants to hide the ball better.
Two questions come to mind after last night.
1. Why is Smith coaching from atop the press box?
2. How do we improve our defense?
Sway or anybody. Help me out. Thought qb Bird is doing a good job all things considered. It may be midseason before we get everybody back, if then. Last night we had 10 starters on the sidelines. 10.
We could be 0-3 or 1-2 after WS. Don't really know how to call this game. Could go either way.
I know Coach Smith can see whats going on better from the press box and I'm not sure how much help the coaches he would have up there would be for him. I know this is the first year of coaching for Herlocker and I'm not sure how much experience and expertise is on this staff right now. I think when we get Jacoby back he has to play some linebacker and that will help some. This Friday's game will be close as they have been the last two years and I'm afraid we might be on the short end of the stick this year.

Right now, we should be 1-1 is all I can say. I'm praying that they make this adjustment or it will get ugly real quick. If West Montgomery players had trouble containing him, just imagine how we'll do. WM has 2 athletes at every position compared to us.

On top of that, West Stanly seems to hit pretty well. I heard one of WM running backs went down.

Nothing serious. He could have played but I don't think coach thought he was needed to get the win which was a good call. No need to take any chances this early. WM issue was playing disciplined defense. If you overpursue and give the WS back a cutback lane and don't have someone filling from the backside you are in big, big trouble because he can fly. I know our fans were talking about he got the corner but one of those runs was a cutback that was essentially straight up the middle. They also scored on a ball that was batted up instead of batted down. We do that way too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: WARRIOR_PRIDE2005
Remember that we have played Latin who dominated Davidson Day who have dominated us in the last two years, Thomasville who is 2a, better coached and well improved from last year, Concord who should have beat Brown last week. We play a 2a team this week which is still far from small 1a that we play when it all matters. However, even with our injuries I hope we can scrounge up enough to win. We need a Stanley Cup. Worse case scenario we lose to West, get healthy and on task for SD and CC, a week off, and then play WM. I believe in everything we are doing, but I am waiting for it to happen.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I believe this is a pretty easy game to call. If we contain #33, Jackson Albemarle will win. If we don't WS will win.

I don't think at this time we have a defense that can stop him. I hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be so sure Buddy. If WS can throw it, it will be a long night. Concord decimated the secondary.

Think you're right Dogs9. However I think this issue will get a lot of attention at practice this week. Hope they can find somebody to play corner and outside linebacker. Hope they can come up with something.

If we can't stop Jackson sway they want have to throw it. Our corners and db's have no idea about playing their positions. Big challenge.

I think Jacoby might be the answer at linebacker when he comes back.

I hate to say it, but I believe West will beat us. I think it will be a close and hard fought game but once again my Dogs come up short.:(:(

The WS initial passing attack vs. SS was a couple of bubble screens. These quick hitters on the edge were effective. If they can force you to press, look out for the middle crosser. I think WS wins this one in a close contest. AHS vs. CC and SD.... two wins....then (like Batman on MeTV on Saturday nights at 7)....then it is BAM! BIFF! ZOWIE! POW!. (WM is about to hit its stride.) Ouch.

This is a big game for the dogs. We have to go to EM next week so we need a win bad or after 4 weeks we could be 0-4. However I am still optimistic that when we get healthy we can start to get some wins. We are so low in numbers that any kind of injury really hurts.

Think you might make it up to the Skybox fri night, nipit? The NCC is hurting on numbers also so we need bodies.

The coach just needs to put his best athletes on the field. I would put Bennett as a DB as well as some of the freshman running backs, Jacobi and Stanback at LB.....done deal

Not basing coach Smith success off of Gaster's first year, but just curious on how many games did Jack win his first year....?

@Buddy Rich I wish you could have stayed and saw the D2 youth team run the DW. It was a thing of beauty! and with Rushing son running the rock, it was ridiculous!

I really hope they don't close down our school, as I can't see it happening, but they say the freshmen hall-ways are empty at AHS and they barely have a math teacher there to teach. We need to vote this coming election....

This upcoming election is so very important. Will find out but I think several of the school board members are up for reelection. Everybody needs to get involved and see what these people really plan to do. The future of AHS is at stake.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Think his record was 4-6.
Correct. That AHS team opened with three straight wins, then beat only Mt. Pleasant the rest of the way. But the losses were all razor-thin. In the last game of the season, AHS led powerhouse North Rowan in the second half before losing 29-19. You could feel the change in the atmosphere around the program that year.

That was also the last year North Stanly beat Albemarle (20-0 at AHS), which I'm pretty sure was the last time AHS was shut out until a home loss to West Stanly in 2005.

Correct. That AHS team opened with three straight wins, then beat only Mt. Pleasant the rest of the way. But the losses were all razor-thin. In the last game of the season, AHS led powerhouse North Rowan in the second half before losing 29-19. You could feel the change in the atmosphere around the program that year.

That was also the last year North Stanly beat Albemarle (20-0 at AHS), which I'm pretty sure was the last time AHS was shut out until a home loss to West Stanly in 2005.

I remember when North Stanly beat Albemarle 20-0. I was in the 6th or 7th grade I believe.

Remember that we have played Latin who dominated Davidson Day who have dominated us in the last two years, Thomasville who is 2a, better coached and well improved from last year, Concord who should have beat Brown last week. We play a 2a team this week which is still far from small 1a that we play when it all matters. However, even with our injuries I hope we can scrounge up enough to win. We need a Stanley Cup. Worse case scenario we lose to West, get healthy and on task for SD and CC, a week off, and then play WM. I believe in everything we are doing, but I am waiting for it to happen.

Hard to use a scrimmage this year against Latin and D Day's loss to them last year to determine where Albemarle stands right now. Not sure on Thomasville but after their first two games (1-1) I would agree the chances are they will improve on last year's showing. With one win they are one short of their 2014 win total.

Concord was physically beat up by Kannapolis. Brown was gashing them for huge yardage as the game went on. Concord had no answer for their running game and Concord's O line was smothered. Kannapolis will get the same treatment in at least two conference games so not too concerned. Last week Albemarle ran into a coach that does NOT (corrected with edit) stick it up your butt when you are down.

Albemarle just needs to be healthy / stay healthy and not make mistakes and they should be a one loss team the rest of the way with a few tight games.

Last edited:
"Last week Albemarle ran into a coach that does stick it up your butt when you are down."

Does or doesn't, because I could have swore it was 35-0 in the second quarter and the final score was 49 - 12 which could have been 100+ - 12 if he did want to stick it too us.

Albemarle will have a tough game come Friday, but the level of talent is not even in comparison what we faced against Concord, Thomasville maybe.

I bet that T-Ville gives WM the same performance and WM beats T-Ville down....T-Ville lost against Southern Lee and by the looks of it, they are "Terrible".

This is another one we should win though.....should....

Reactions: Sleehrat84
"Last week Albemarle ran into a coach that does stick it up your butt when you are down."

Does or doesn't, because I could have swore it was 35-0 in the second quarter and the final score was 49 - 12 which could have been 100+ - 12 if he did want to stick it too us.

Albemarle will have a tough game come Friday, but the level of talent is not even in comparison what we faced against Concord, Thomasville maybe.

I bet that T-Ville gives WM the same performance and WM beats T-Ville down....T-Ville lost against Southern Lee and by the looks of it, they are "Terrible".

This is another one we should win though.....should....

Does NOT. I corrected that. My bad. No, Glen Padgett is a class act. He is going to play a lot of kids and not do anything crazy to show you up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT