ADVERTISEMENT

West Regionals Set

Dave2kMA

Feb 3, 2009
Girls:

Cherokee vs. Albemarle (Fri @ 5:30pm)

Hiawassee Dam vs. W-S Prep (Fri @ 4pm)

Boys:

Albemarle vs. Lincoln Charter (Thu @ 8:30pm)

W-S Prep vs. Avery (Thu @ 7pm)

Tip times are TBD, but the state usually likes to get the schools traveling from the furthest distance to play first, so expect Cherokee to be the early game on the girls side and Avery to be early on the boys.

Interesting matchups on both sides.

This post was edited on 3/4 12:23 PM by Dave2kMA

HD is further away than Cherokee by about an hour,not that it matters.Conference pride they will support each other at this point.

Yeah, I know. I figured that since Albemarle also has to come from a little ways that would be the deciding factor in the start time. Prep can pretty much walk there since their campus is 10 minutes from Wake.

This post was edited on 3/3 6:51 PM by Dave2kMA

I would rather play the second game if I am HD as they will not need to leave as early.

I think there will be some really good games Thursday!

Originally posted by Dave2kMA:
Girls:

Cherokee vs. Albemarle (Fri)

Hiawassee Dam vs. W-S Prep (Fri)

Boys:

Albemarle vs. Lincoln Charter (Thu)

W-S Prep vs. Avery (Thu)

Tip times are TBD, but the state usually likes to get the schools traveling from the furthest distance to play first, so expect Cherokee to be the early game on the girls side and Avery to be early on the boys.

Interesting matchups on both sides.
Wow that's awesome. There are 2250 traditional public schools and 108 charter schools and Voyager , Lincoln Charter , WS Prep men's and women's and Roxboro Community are Charter / Magnet and are still in the 1 A playoffs . They make up less than 2 % overall but are 33% of the 1 A 4th round teams.

Number of Public Schools (2012-13)

Elementary (Grades PK-8). 1,834. 72.6%

Secondary (Grades 9-12). 413. 16.3%

Secondary (Grades 9-13 Early College). 73. 2.9%

Combined. 98 . 3.9%

Charter Schools. 108 . 4.3%

and if you read the 1A football page, Albemarle may soon be a magnet.....

Excuse me. HD is over 60 miles west of cherokee therefore they are the "furtherest distance". I was raised by how long it takes you to get some where not how many miles it is. Lol. Not sure if the state cares about distance either. I was just clarifying that cherokee is not the furtherest away.

This post was edited on 3/4 10:22 AM by ealgessportsfan

Public school governed by a local school board but with enrollment open to the entire school district, and generally offering a specialized academic curriculum. Generally have admissions requirements and an application process. Gastonia Highland Tech, Durham School of the Arts, Berry School of Technology in Charlotte are a few examples. In Albemarle, that would mean it would be open to any kid from Stanly County, even if they were zoned for North Stanly or West Stanly, if they wanted the special classes offered at Albemarle. Not sure if they will do entrance by lottery or what if they go that route. But it kind of seems like a lot of the kids who would be interested would already be at Gray Stone Day, which is a local charter school.
This post was edited on 3/4 3:38 PM by ObserveAndReport

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

Public school governed by a local school board but with enrollment open to the entire school district, and generally offering a specialized academic curriculum. Generally have admissions requirements and an application process. Gastonia Highland Tech, Durham School of the Arts, Berry School of Technology in Charlotte are a few examples.
The majority of schools that offer magnet programs are not magnet only schools. In the larger areas magnet programs are placed in schools to bring up enrollment at that particular school and lessen enrollment at schools that will feed the magnet program. It is also used for socio-economic stabilization. Close to half of the schools in Charlotte have magnet programs but for the most part they are limited to the students from the host school and two or three surrounding schools. The magnet programs in Charlotte for education are competitive for entry and very strenuous. That is the key, how tough are academic standards?!?! I think this is the problem we are seeing.

The issues that 1A is seeing with charters and magnets would easily be relieved for the time being if a football classification system was set up separate from other sports. I am ok with those schools playing football at the 1A level but the other sports need to be moved up in classification.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT