ADVERTISEMENT

West Montgomery vs Swain (2011) - Classic game

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Wow...I watched the whole game last night. I remember the game and hearing all the comments that year on here. Awesome game....speed vs power.

The Game

Still can't believe WM had to play that without their DC. very unfortunate. And hey last years game was a classic as well.

Of course they post the classic that we lose. Come on Swain, post last years!!! lol
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/24 2:54 PM by WMFootballFanatic

Come on now fanatic...let us enjoy 2011.

A note about last year's match-up. Our top offensive threat and bone rattling playmaker at WR/FS was thrown out of that game for an illigal hit very early on. Later that ejection was thrown out by the state. Would loved to have played the whole game with him. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the end but to have his skill on both sides of the ball especially on that last drive would have been nice. I heard they are still trying to get the pucker marks off the home side bleachers from the final Swain drive to close that game. The figurative, "This can't be happening again!" could almost be heard as the devils marched deep into warrior territory only to be sacked on the final play. Great battle. WM has my all time respect for their toughness and style.

Originally posted by gal durnit:
Come on now fanatic...let us enjoy 2011.

I heard they are still trying to get the pucker marks off the home side bleachers from the final Swain drive to close that game. The figurative, "This can't be happening again!" could almost be heard as the devils marched deep into warrior territory only to be sacked on the final play. Great battle. WM has my all time respect for their toughness and style.
Funny but true
laugh.r191677.gif
And I will agree, much respect for WM. Two great fall classics.

And this game, I gained much respect for the Warriors of WM! And the following year.... if Swain had ten more seconds.... But the Devils held their heads high in defeat.

I have it from a reliable source that Drake was going to score on that 4th down play when the ball was snapped over his head with a minute to go. You guys can just trust me on that.
wink.r191677.gif

When the ball went flying over his head he was heard saying, "Started from the bottom...now we here."

Sorry I had too.

I had to give ya'll a deep thought to go to sleep on Gal. Word on the street is that we had been saving the double reverse flea flicker pass to use on a 4th and one in a critical situation. Alas, it was not to be...lol. For future reference I did pucker when that ball went over his head.
This post was edited on 11/24 9:55 PM by WMFootballFanatic

LOL! The double reverse flea flicker is the bread and butter for any 4th down section of the play book. Drake is an amazing talent. Capel was amazing too.

What impact do you think this game had on the West Montgomery program? Not saying this game was the sole reason but yalls program has really taken off with tremendous talent and great coaching.
This post was edited on 11/25 8:35 AM by gal durnit

We have been generally successful over the years when we have had the right coach. But everyone can say that. Playing for years in the YVC with Albemarle and Thomasville providing the gold standard of football made it easy for us to be overlooked. And we had some years in there were WM was just awful for whatever reason. Over the last several years, we have had a cycle of some really good years followed by not so good. 2007 we made the title game and easily could have won, should have, 2009 western finals where our friends at Albemarle laid one on us and then 2011 was first year with a new coach and we were close. That game was for the state championship. I think that team was instrumental in helping us get to where we are now. The kids have bought into the current coaching staff. We paid the price in 2012 being a really down year with all those graduations. Now, we have had 2 really good years in a row even with losing 17 seniors last year and only having 5 seniors this year. Next year we will be even better. JK was just a better team last year, but there were several factors in play, or not in play, that could have allowed us to be more competitive. We still could not have won that game IMHO. But, that is water under the bridge. That is really a testament to your program. If you can consistently compete with Swain, with the level of play that you bring year in and year out, you feel like you can be really good. I hope we are good enough some day. We have 3 second place finishes. I don't want to be the Buffalo Bills of high school football....lol

You guys are legit contneders this year and for sure next year. That 2001 game arguably could go down as the greatest Swain victory outside of a state title game. And the classic from last year was equally as good. You guys have a class program and I will pull for yall everytime unless the Maroon Machine is lining up against yall. I hate losing but if we ever get beat by someone I respect the Warriors and the Murphy Bulldogs above all the others.

This night in 2011 featured 2 classics between the SMC and YVC as Murphy nipped Albemarle on the road in 2 ot's 42-41. All time classics that will be talked about for a long time.

Knine,

Now you are just torturing the YVC faithful...

But agreed. Two classic match ups between 4 Champion teams.

Same to you. If it doesn't work out this year for us to match up I am almost promising one for next year. Maybe be will both find a way to make it through Friday and give both crowds the next edition in this classic match up.

You guys are legit contneders this year and for sure next year. That 2001 game arguably could go down as the greatest Swain victory outside of a state title game. And the classic from last year was equally as good. You guys have a class program and I will pull for yall everytime unless the Maroon Machine is lining up against yall. I hate losing but if we ever get beat by someone I respect the Warriors and the Murphy Bulldogs above all the others.
Gal, I know you meant 2011, but that 2001 game in Bryson City between your Maroondevils and my Tigers was also a classic with a seldom used play(HB pass), making the difference...Coach Rod White said after the game," he knew that his team had to do something different because giving the ball back to Jim Fox and Rosman, would mean that we probably would not get the ball back in the last 7 minutues."

Not to mention, Swain QB Michael Watson blocked an extra point and a Field Goal in that win by Swain which sadly was the last great chance for Rosman to beat the Maroondevils...

Still hard to believe that Rosman nearly beat back-to-back state champs that season as Swain of course won the 2001 1A title, and Elkin who Rosman beat in the 2nd round in 2001, won the 2002 & 2003 state titles....

Sure would like to see those glory days return for the Tigers in the future....That 2001 season was also the last time that Rosman finished the season with a winning record....

Sorry for hijacking the thread, and sorry that I missed that 2011 classic game between the Warriors and Maroondevils....I was however at the Swain/Monroe Western Final in Bryson City in 2012, which was also a great come-from-behind classic victory by the Maroondevils!

Thanks Deana for providing the link to the 2011 West/Swain game!

Back to the topic!

Roar Tigers Roar!

After reading all the remarks in this thread, I had to watch the game again. I was lucky enough to witness the "MUD BOWL" at Rosman, the winning last second TD reception against Maiden, the infamous brawl at the Murphy/Swain Game, and many other great Maroon Devil games.

There was over 800 combined yards of offense in a very cleanly played game with very few penalties. Kudos to the referees for letting the teams play without all the laundry flying around. Good sportsmanship shown by both teams and respect earned on both sides. The 2011 West Montgomery @ Swain game is the best one I ever attended.

This post was edited on 11/26 10:07 PM by Diablo

Rick that 2001 Swain/Rosman was unreal! What a battle!
Yeah, it was extra special for me as my nephew who played LBer on that team, intercepted Watson's pass near midfield, and returned it to the Swain 20yd line to setup the Tigers first TD of the night, which suprisingly enough was a fade pass to the back left corner of the endzone with Justin Powell making the reception....Nephew told me years later that he remembers Coach Fox before the game telling the team that they were going to win that game that night....As for the HB pass, the Coaches told the guys to watch out for the trick play, but got to give credit to WR Trey Burns who ran a great route, and used a great head fake to get just enough room for the RB(Stephenson) to loft a perfectly thrown pass over our defensive back...Oh the heartbreak...lol!

Seriously, good luck down at Whiteville tomorrow night, and thanks for your service to our Country....I as a veteran appreciate it!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Back to the topic!

Thanks for yours as well. And thanks for the well wishes. I bet it isn't snowing down there in Whiteville lol.

Absolute classic game, both teams left it all on the field. A heart breaker obviously for WM, but maybe it has served as a launch to where WM has come the past three years. Remember that was coach Eddins first year as a head coach. Notable facts about this game:

1. Every TD for both teams was scored going to the end zone towards Bryson City; only score the other way was the winning FG
2. Points off of turnovers - Swain 21 WM 0
3. Swain actually fumbled twice on their last possession, but both times got it back, and was able to kick the FG

WM turnovers were huge in 2nd quarter (3 fumbles lost and one INT). one fumble was a bad snap off of Capel's leg, another he made a poor decision late and basically pitched into the arms of Swain player. Key momentum swing- WM up 28-14, 1st and 10 on Swain 27 with 38 seconds until half. On first down WM throws the ill-fated pass which Mannele picks at the goal line and makes a nice return. That is the call of the game that can be second guessed from the WM perspective - WM scores it may be ball game, but it went the other way. Swain then threw the long bomb TD on next play to make it 28-21 at half.

Lots of talent on the field for both sides - Mannele and Patillo were all over the place - Mannele doing well with Mars Hill now. 16 and 84 for WM playing at next level. I am sure there are others for both sides

A game of inches. I never faulted the call or going for the jugular on that pass. If that ball was 6 inches higher I think we would have scored. The backbreaker was the return and the ensuing pass for a td before the half. That Swain team was loaded and made the plays when they counted the most. I always wondered why they kicked it with so much time left to go and didn't bleed the clock some more. But, they did have that fumble that they recovered in their mind I guess. It must have been their kicker's sweet spot where the ball was spotted or something. And then the kickoff return to the 50...there was still hope. Dang what a game! It can still get the blood flowing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT