ADVERTISEMENT

West Montgomery @ Albemarle

No offense taken. Still too early to talk about anyway. I still think the east is going to win again anyway.

If in response to my comment, I knew somebody would take that personally. Was trying to be objective and not give offense. This year's WM team just didn't look as fast and athletic across the board to me as some past ones.

Hey, I'd love for WM to win a title. Would be great for the YVC. Plus like a lot AHS grads I've got family on that side of the river and some went to WM. Lot of respect for WM from this AHS fan - would like to think it is given back but comments like "stick it" suggest otherwise. . . .

Now finish strong and good luck. . . .
Maybe I could have left that out I agree. I think what I'm trying to say is our kids are taking it play by play one game at a time.....

As sad as it may be, we must look at the realistic situation at AHS. Our former booster club president sent his kid to NSHS, or then new booster club president sent his kid to NSHS, our AD will send his kids to NSHS, we also had a few other kids go to NSHS. AHS needs to shut down and blend with North and South. The PRIDE that AHS once knew is completely gone! The players don't care, the coaches don't know what to do with this type of kid, the fans are in disarray, the booster club is less than 20, the fab 40 is 20, we are having to beg teachers to come to AHS and they normally stay for 1 year. The whole community is wanting the football program to be what it was the past 10 years. It is going to take a coach to lose for a couple years and make his own system to ever get back, but the fans and community wont allow that. This years failure is not Coach Smith's but a lot of bad coaching over the past few years. Not only at the high school but the middle school. Gaster was 4-6 his first year with a loss to NSHS if I am not mistaken. Don't give up yet. I hear that we played terrible on Friday but if everything happens to click then we will be hard to beat. #PRIDE

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
The former booster club president "sent" his children to Albemarle. They have always lived in the North district. The currentAD lives in the North district and his wife went to North.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I have no doubt that Talbert was close to the kids, but again why did they do nothing from the end of the season till Aug.1

The NCHSAA implemented new rules that there would not be any practice allowed for football other than conditioning until ten school days before the start of final exams. By the time the new "spring practice" period started Talbert had resigned. I think Herlocker worked with them in the weight room and with conditioning all school year. No idea what went on in the summer.

Once again spike check your facts. Like Btango said the former booster president is a great guy and actually took his kids out of gray stone and sent them to AHS. The current AD has always lived in NS district but has coached for AHS for a few years now and loves AHS. The former booster pres kid is a senior and decided to leave because of everything and people attacking AHS. He is a great kid as well.

You have to understand how much that announcement in January affected these kids. They felt they had no hope and it only a matter of time before these people get their way. As I was told "what the west side of the county want they get". That's how our kids feel. They feel like what's the use? And yet instead of doing what this BOE should do and redistrict they do open enrollment for a week. I was actually told "it's the stanly county way, they never do what makes sense". I just seen where on the 2014-2015 report cards all schools showed improvement. AHS showed improvement and was 3 pts away from a C, let's see what Mr Kilgore is able to accomplish this year. The transportation study will come out Tuesday which I believe will show a huge savings with redistricting. It is estimated that by redistricting AHS will add 100 kids maybe more now. That allows us to keep some of the teachers that we had to send to other schools. Open enrollment for a week was a joke and accomplished nothing except allowing NS and WS to better their athletics lol.

In regards to athletics we will be fine. Keep in mind once again what we lost last year. The class was a dominant class last year and off football we lost 20 kids. This coach was brought in late and has had some serious injury specifically to one of his better athletes. D

Once again spike check your facts. Like Btango said the former booster president is a great guy and actually took his kids out of gray stone and sent them to AHS. The current AD has always lived in NS district but has coached for AHS for a few years now and loves AHS. The former booster pres kid is a senior and decided to leave because of everything and people attacking AHS. He is a great kid as well.

I was actually told "it's the stanly county way, they never do what makes sense". I just seen where on the 2014-2015 report cards all schools showed improvement. AHS showed improvement and was 3 pts away from a C, let's see what Mr Kilgore is able to accomplish this year. It is estimated that by redistricting AHS will add 100 kids maybe more now. Open enrollment for a week was a joke and accomplished nothing except allowing NS and WS to better their athletics lol.

I think the former booster president's children moved due to academic offerings, or lack there of, which is an issue at Albemarle and can only be corrected with a redistricting plan that does not allow any transfers out. I will not speak for him but that is my guess. He put in a lot of hours and effort with the booster club and as a volunteer coach.

The school system in Stanly County has been an issue for years which seems to be standard in most counties as the system must accomodate so many generals. If the AHS was "3 pts away from a C" why did they remove the previous principal? If there is improvement you would think they would keep them in place.

If Albemarle can be saved by adding 100 students can South Stanly be saved also? Is it South or AHS or do both have the potential to survive. I do not see redistricting helping South due to geography and logisitics. Their district needs more school age inhabitants.

We as a county and community have to stand together.

My question is,who's fighting for AHS on the school board? I see a lot of posters on here that claim this is wrong and have love for AHS, but I don't here anybody putting their names on the ballet next year...

AHS will not be shut down.

Why did it take the threat of closing the school to get people involved? One of the biggest issues at the school has been lack of parental involvement.

Here is the perfect person that needs to run for school board: African American, educated, born and raised in town but has lived or worked outside the county, attended Albemarle, understands the dynamics of budget, needs, wants, and requirements, and has passion for the community and kids. Get that person involved now.

Question btango. There is some talk of merging SS and AHS. Is this the best solution or redistricting or what the school board will probably do. Neither!!

The school offerings are there for the kids of AHS regardless. He didn't leave for that reason atleast when I spoke to him that was not the reason he gave. There were a few reasons why the previous principal left.

In regards to offerings plenty of kids at AHS are taking AP classes this year. I know a kid particularly that told me that whatever she can do at Gray Stone she can do at AHS. Her schedule is tough!!! She also has a 4.6 gpa.

But the former booster president not the new one who resigned and sent his kids over to NS the one prior is a fantastic guy and his son made that choice. With coach Andrew retiring and the chaos surrounding AHS particularly from the BOE he didn't want to deal with it his senior year. In regards to the most recent booster president who resigned I think a lot of people were shocked and I am sure he had his reason to do so. With me not knowing as to why I'm not going to comment on that.

In regards to resistricting we have kids in mobile units that's not safe there are more effective district lines that would achieve getting kids out of those units and save the school system money.

I know for a fact that their is a huge push at AHS right now with discipline and academics. I believe this will make a huge impact immediately. We shall see.

Why did it take the threat of closing the school to get people involved? One of the biggest issues at the school has been lack of parental involvement.

Here is the perfect person that needs to run for school board: African American, educated, born and raised in town but has lived or worked outside the county, attended Albemarle, understands the dynamics of budget, needs, wants, and requirements, and has passion for the community and kids. Get that person involved now.

That sounds like me....

Reactions: btango
I do not know what the best solution is but South Stanly is on an island. The only area to expand and get students where there is any population density is into the AHS district and that only takes students from AHS so that does not work. Anson and Montgomery (lake and river) are part of their boundary so the district cannot expand there. The borders with North and West just do not have enough students to make it worthwhile. It is not just four schools but also the population disbursement in the county.

Here is an example. Richmond County is about the same land mass with less population but their single high school has about 2,200 students (9-12 although 9th graders go to the freshman academy). Stanly County had about 2,300 students last year in the four high schools. In Richmond County about 70% of the population is going to be in the central and southeast areas of the county in Hamlet and Rockingham. It makes sense to have one school due to how the population is situated. In Stanly County the population is spread out more evenly so more schools are needed but the density of population in the South district is what makes four schools logistically tough right now. I am curious to see the ADMs in about four weeks. I know AHS will be down but I wonder if South will be much lower than last year.

Just reading the write up in the Snap about the WM game. Coach Smith blamed some of our problems on the early start time. Sorry coach but I'm not buying that. WM had the early start time also and it didn't bother them. My biggest problem with Coach Smith is the offense we are running. Just don't think the wing offense suits our guys. But he does have a point in stating that we are having to play with only 6 linemen on both sides of the ball. That is a major problem and guess he doesn't have a solution for that. So guess we will just have to finish out the year with what we have.

Coach Smith blamed some of our problems on the early start time. Sorry coach but I'm not buying that.

Who does this guy think we are? "Boom Boom the Fool"! I was done bashing and promised to hold my tongue, but that just made my blood boil!

The time dude.....really, the freaking time! By god (yes god with a litte 'g'), what a poor excuse. He needs to tell the truth, he was unprepared coming in, and the players that he has aren't putting forth effort. Done deal. You think I wouldn't tell the SNAP that! Matter of a fact, the SNAP can kiss my "Black" back-end also, as much crap they've put in that poor excuse for journalism paper!

I have never seen such incompetence in my life. It's driving me crazy! I wounder how many seniors will go off to college with a partial scholarship from Albemarle? Is he working on getting tape out to Div III colleges. Jeez Louise, I'm flabbergasted here, shocked, feel bamboozled, hoodwinked and "LIED TOO".

@btango SS and Albemarle will merge friend, you can bet your social security on that. There will be another open enrollment, so all the baseball players will go to West Stanly, via their parents dropping them off, and all the football players will split between West and Albemarle, you can take a wild guess on the reasons why. I bet you.

There will be another open enrollment, so all the baseball players will go to West Stanly,

Sway, how many baseball players transferred into West last enrollment? None that I know of, so why would they next time?

Sway, how many baseball players transferred into West last enrollment? None that I know of, so why would they next time?

1. Why would they want to transfer to West during the last open enrollment? The open enrollment was meant to hurt Albemarle. South wasn't affected during that time...

2. The baseball team at South would rather go to West than Albemarle. You can say a little birdie told me.

Who does this guy think we are? "Boom Boom the Fool"! I was done bashing and promised to hold my tongue, but that just made my blood boil!

I wounder how many seniors will go off to college with a partial scholarship from Albemarle? Is he working on getting tape out to Div III colleges. Jeez Louise, I'm flabbergasted here, shocked, feel bamboozled, hoodwinked and "LIED TOO".

@btango SS and Albemarle will merge friend, you can bet your social security on that. There will be another open enrollment, so all the baseball players will go to West Stanly, via their parents dropping them off, and all the football players will split between West and Albemarle, you can take a wild guess on the reasons why. I bet you.

Lets be realistic. How many of the seniors have taken an SAT and made a decent score? How many seniors are qualified academically to attend college (D1 or D2)? How many players that can realistically qualify are good enough to play D2 ball? You have to take it one step at a time. Send out film on a bunch of players that are not qualified or are marginal for the next level you crush it for every qualified player that comes behind them.

Lets be realistic. How many of the seniors have taken an SAT and made a decent score? How many seniors are qualified academically to attend college (D1 or D2)? How many players that can realistically qualify are good enough to play D2 ball? You have to take it one step at a time. Send out film on a bunch of players that are not qualified or are marginal for the next level you crush it for every qualified player that comes behind them.

That's why I said D3;)

My bad swayster.

D3? No scholarship football. The main difference if you play football they do the leg work for you to get the money but it is available for anyone.

Reactions: sway1532
I think we should all pay special attention to the SC Board of Education in the following months. They will receive the Facilities Report tonight and the Transportation Report tomorrow night. Headlines in the Snap yesterday were about each schools grades for the last fisical year. This was well know info. But just more fuel for the board.
I think in the near future we will see PLAN A rear its ugly head again. I truly believe Dr Griffin will put this back on the table again and I look for this board to take some action soon. Elections will not help get rid of these people because the 5 up for reelection will not be until Nov of next year.
We all need to kept an eye on this board again as I simply don't trust them to do the right thing.
PS. I can almost guarantee everyone they will NOT REDISTRICT.

preach on SWAY
images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT