ADVERTISEMENT

West Montgomery @ Albemarle

First I would like to congradulate WM on the win. They have some good athletes and great coaching. We have a few good athletes and lousy coaching. We all know Smith is just putting in his time for retirement. All the coaches just stand on the sideline like they are at a funeral.
The score could have been much worse except for Eddins calling the dogs off and all the penalties for WM. Be glad when this season is over. Never thought I would say that.
WM could win the west but they really need to clean those penalties up. However I don't see who ever wins the west beating either WRH or JK. Just being honest.
Albemarle has no team speed, can't tackle and the offensive line is the worst I have ever seen. NO coaching. Period. Also no discipline. Again no coaching.

Albemarle hasn't had a coach since Baxter.

When Smith got the job, everyone on here was praising the hire. Me, I stay suspect...

Question is, what is the AD going to do? Looks like that good ol boy system has finally backfired at Albemarle.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Well not going to argue that West was clearly the better team tonight, That was easy to see. But can someone please explain to me WHY would the Albemarle Coaches ask for a running clock with 5 minutes left in the first half and then on side kick in the second half? Come ON you ask for mercy them slap Coach Eddins in the face. Eddins is a better man than me... I would've simply put my starters back in and run it up for that

I didn't realize it but Coach Eddins is tied for 2nd in the "Most Wins" category for WM after today! Not sure of the number or how many more until he takes the record!

The Albemarle coaches are coaches in name only!!!!!!!

I respect Eddins to the fullest. He is an excellent coach, and I honestly wish we had someone like him. I know the assistant head coach for WM and I know he's tickled to death right now lol. Heck, you know there had to be an issue when an Albemarle Alumni left Albemarle for West Montgomery. Who can't respect Eddins. He is the Jack Gaster and Brown of 1A now, and there's no stopping that.

Hey Buddy, hope you're doing ok. Had to work till 430 and didn't get to make the game. Was planning on coming over and say hello. Maybe next time.

Sorry you couldn't make it spud. Having a hard time adjusting to life after losing my wife.

Was at the game. First one I've seen in a few years. Came away with a lot of thoughts on the team and program. Obviously, AHS football is a bit of a mess right now. It's going to take great coaching and better support from the admin (e.g., keeping track of player eligibility) to get the program back up to the level of the recent past.

Congrats to WM. They were disciplined, well-conditioned, and well-coached. Honestly, it was a little hard to rate them because the game was basically non-competitive. Do not see this WM team winning a state title, but they could well make a fool out of me come playoff time. Their staff seems to be getting the most out of the talent on hand, which is to their credit. Good luck to them the rest of the way.

From what I can piece together, sounds like a pretty dominant performance. Great job Warriors. Time to move on to N. Stanly. I'm sure we'll get their best shot. Best of luck to Albemarle the rest of the year. The sun will rise again. Hang in there.

Anyone seen spike, tom, or Jerry?????
I saw Spike and Tom but I am not sure about Jerry. I was not at the game but I heard it was an A$$ whoopin. If I am wrong I will say I and wrong and I was wrong. Our boys are on a one game season vs NSHS. This years WM score is no different than the last two years. Last year we ran a 90+ fumble back to make it 21 and make them not get 50 for two years in a row. WM has a stable program and staff that is doing a great job. They hired West Stanly's coach from last year as an assistant for Christ sake. Coach Smith no doubt knows football and has hired the best staff a coach could a week before the season. A coach cant come in and fix problems from the past. After last season there were no offseason football workouts, no spring ball, no summer workouts or 7 on 7. The ball was dropped by last years staff who obviously knew they weren't coming back without officially announcing until July. I still as an AHS alum believe that AHS is trying to shut itself down. Our current AD has publicly stated that his kids will go to North Stanly, which they are currently enrolled in the NSHS system. Where is the PRIDE that AHS used to have? It is obvious that we need to merge with someone to continue AHS dominance. #PRIDE, #SPIKETOMANDJERRY

I saw Spike and Tom but I am not sure about Jerry. I was not at the game but I heard it was an A$$ whoopin. If I am wrong I will say I and wrong and I was wrong. Our boys are on a one game season vs NSHS. This years WM score is no different than the last two years. Last year we ran a 90+ fumble back to make it 21 and make them not get 50 for two years in a row. WM has a stable program and staff that is doing a great job. They hired West Stanly's coach from last year as an assistant for Christ sake. Coach Smith no doubt knows football and has hired the best staff a coach could a week before the season. A coach cant come in and fix problems from the past. After last season there were no offseason football workouts, no spring ball, no summer workouts or 7 on 7. The ball was dropped by last years staff who obviously knew they weren't coming back without officially announcing until July. I still as an AHS alum believe that AHS is trying to shut itself down. Our current AD has publicly stated that his kids will go to North Stanly, which they are currently enrolled in the NSHS system. Where is the PRIDE that AHS used to have? It is obvious that we need to merge with someone to continue AHS dominance. #PRIDE, #SPIKETOMANDJERRY

And not having the best players from Stanly County on AHS's team like the days of old may have something to do with the "decline." Prior to the Gaster days Albemarle wasn't much to worry about on the football field. Good luck with the salvaging of the school, program...... 94-20 was the combined scores I believe from the JV/V games. And Coach pulled the horses off at halftime. We don't have to have a NCC. We win with class.

You need to check your facts. Talbert resigned I believe the end of April first of May. AHS admin including Deese was begging the BOE to let them post and start interviewing and the BOE denied that up until the current principal was brought in. Once he was brought in they started interviewing of course we didn't have a football coach nor a men's bball coach and the BOE being the BOE decided that a week long open enrollment would be better for our schools rather than redistricting.

In regards to the current AD he is actually doing a really good job. There was a lot out on his plate walking in. Through everything it's shameful how badly the BOE has hurt AHS along with it's athletics. The athletics at NS and WS sure have improved though.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
You need to check your facts. Talbert resigned I believe the end of April first of May. AHS admin including Deese was begging the BOE to let them post and start interviewing and the BOE denied that up until the current principal was brought in. Once he was brought in they started interviewing of course we didn't have a football coach nor a men's bball coach and the BOE being the BOE decided that a week long open enrollment would be better for our schools rather than redistricting.

In regards to the current AD he is actually doing a really good job. There was a lot out on his plate walking in. Through everything it's shameful how badly the BOE has hurt AHS along with it's athletics. The athletics at NS and WS sure have improved though.
OK, however last years staff completely dropped the ball for an offseason program. No spring ball. Etc. Why wait so late to announce? The staff obviously knew or they would have scheduled offseason workouts.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
OK, however last years staff completely dropped the ball for an offseason program. No spring ball. Etc. Why wait so late to announce? The staff obviously knew or they would have scheduled offseason workouts.

Not sure why they waited so long. Knowing Talbert it wasn't an easy decision. He was very close with a lot of those kids.

As an outsider looking into an obvious disastrous situation, I cannot help but wonder if former principal's David Bright and Karen Nixon would have allowed this football dynasty to collapse at the rate it has. Albemarle High School was once the poster child of the conference and state. By the way, what happened to the female AD? She ran fiery competitive programs across the board. Did she retire?

As an outsider looking into an obvious disastrous situation, I cannot help but wonder if former principal's David Bright and Karen Nixon would have allowed this football dynasty to collapse at the rate it has. Albemarle High School was once the poster child of the conference and state. By the way, what happened to the female AD? She ran fiery competitive programs across the board. Did she retire?
Again, how do you question this year when the head coach was on active duty with 2 weeks to go

Former AD went to Forest Hills. She was great. And if I'm not mistaken the hiring of our HC now didn't happen officially until 6 weeks left before our first game. Very limited time to get your staff in order plus train the kids. Coach Herlocker has had some of them in the weight room all summer but I believe that was limited numbers.

You have to keep in mind the amount of athletes that we lost last year. All of our programs took a hit. Not saying we have worse athletes but when you have a coach that's brought in late and has limited time to put in his system develop kids etc what do you expect? It takes time to build a program. I personally give a pass this year even though it's frustrating but these coaches are working hard and if you watch practice you will see that. We have a lot of inexperienced players as well.

Thanks BN2014. Sorry STAJ4..I was just curious. That AD was powerful and loyal to her school. Again, thanks for the update.

I still as an AHS alum believe that AHS is trying to shut itself down. Our current AD has publicly stated that his kids will go to North Stanly, which they are currently enrolled in the NSHS system. Where is the PRIDE that AHS used to have? It is obvious that we need to merge with someone to continue AHS dominance. #PRIDE, #SPIKETOMANDJERRY

Athletics is important to building school spirit and community support, but it's not the reason schools exist, and will not be the reason AHS stays open or shuts down. The BOE will look at a lot more than the importance of sports programs in making that decision.

And as has been stated here and on other forums, a county the size of Stanly absolutely can not, with its static tax base, afford to continue operating four traditional high schools, an early college HS, an alternative school, four middle schools and eleven elementary schools. Even if you redistrict to level out enrollments (which MUST be the first step), it does not reduce the cost of all these facilities and administrators at each school.

Finally, don't fault the current AHS AD for stating his children will go to NSHS...I believe he lives in their district. Most children would like to go to school where their friends and neighbors go. His first priority as a father is the care, happiness, and welfare of his children...not whether they go to the school where he works just because he works there.

First I would like to congradulate WM on the win. They have some good athletes and great coaching. We have a few good athletes and lousy coaching. We all know Smith is just putting in his time for retirement. All the coaches just stand on the sideline like they are at a funeral.
The score could have been much worse except for Eddins calling the dogs off and all the penalties for WM. Be glad when this season is over. Never thought I would say that.
WM could win the west but they really need to clean those penalties up. However I don't see who ever wins the west beating either WRH or JK. Just being honest.
Albemarle has no team speed, can't tackle and the offensive line is the worst I have ever seen. NO coaching. Period. Also no discipline. Again no coaching.
You are 100% right Buddy. After I left the game I went and watched the North Stanly EM game and it was the best game I have seen this season. North Stanly will finally beat Albemarle on the field and how did we hold East Montgomery to 21 points?

Let's talk about Community. Albemarle sure has changed a lot since My days of going to School there. It's a different Society. It's the same thing that happened in other Textile Towns. I live in Richfield now and the Town is somewhat like Albemarle used to be. It would be a culture shock to just send Albemarle Students over to North. But, the same influences are in Richfield, New London and Badin

From an outsider looking in it seems like Albemarle High School was set up to fail from the start! I hate that for the kids. AHS has some big kids for sure. Those Linemen were almost twice WM's size. Maybe Im wrong but #22 must have been the heart of the team because when he was ejected the Bulldogs gave up.

Albemarle pretty much wanted a Coach going into Retirement. The BOE wanted that. There will not be near as much uproar this year if any announcements are made concerning the School. It's probably time to move on

Back to the former AD yes absolutely she was all heart. She worked her tail off to make sure AHS athletic wise remained at the top of the list.

In regards to the BOE measuring the athletics to decide if the school will remain open, they don't care to out it simply. That open enrollment was a shot at AHS and everybody knows it. This BOE is biased against AHS and anybody who disagrees needs to open their eyes. Also FYI some of the kids who transferred were pretty good students as well. The ones I know left because they were tired of turmoil surrounding AHS. Just a fact the day in January that the BOE announced it's plans is the day AHS changed and the wart for AHS dropped from the students prospective. Furthermore think about it if the BOE honestly was representing all 4 schools equally why do open enrollment? What was the point? AHS is the nicest HS in the county and it is the only one surrounded by a community.

In regards to the current principal and AD I think they are doing a fantastic job. The current principal seems to be trying to get the discipline and academics on point.

Alot of talk about how WM won't win a SC this year/they arent as good as previous. Hate to break it too you but our kids are enjoying themselves. We're just glad to be winning, not to mention what a great coach we have either. We are extremely blessed right now and if you don't like it you can stick it where the sun don't shine warriorpride out.......

You're right on point nation. This BOE is hell bent on shutting Albemarle down. Everything that they have done points in that direction. SC has such a screwed up school system it's not even funny. It all started the day of merger and has finally reached this point in time. One bad decision after another has led us to this day. Nothing bears any common sense to all the decisions they have made. So now they can get their way and close Albemarle which is what they have wanted all along. The SC school system is the laughing stock of the whole state. I fully understand we can no longer support 4 HS's finacinally so they will close the best facility in the county and make it a magnet school. Please give me a break. How totally stupid. But hey. We continue to elect these clowns to the school board so what else can we expect. Each one is only interested in their little section of the county and not the welfare of the whole system. So go ahead board members and put the finishing touches on the system as a whole.

Alot of talk about how WM won't win a SC this year/they arent as good as previous. Hate to break it too you but our kids are enjoying themselves. We're just glad to be winning, not to mention what a great coach we have either. We are extremely blessed right now and if you don't like it you can stick it where the sun don't shine warriorpride out.......

For the first time in a while I think the defense is good enough that we can at least seriously be in the conversation when that time comes. And they are getting better every week. Everybody notices Offense, but Defense wins championships. Always has and always will. But there is still a long way to go.

Last edited:
Here is the thing the county can support the 4 hs financially. That has already been stated. Per what they said this has nothing to do with finances. Redistricting will actually save them money and AHS capacity is a 1000 kids so instead of doing a redistricting to get kids out of mobile units they do a open enrollment and to make things worse they include the capacity of the mobile units in their numbers to allow more students. LOL

Here is the brain twister as well, they also invest a good amount of money into NS making their classrooms with out door access safer but yet have a bunch of kids in mobile units. Why invest that money into that area if you have kids in mobile units?

I would like to say this as well. WM played a great game yesterday, the coaches and kids from WM both did a great job. Hats off to you and good luck the rest of the season.

Three HS system talk is brewing again. With what I heard last night, two reports coming out this week on feasability that were requested lasr year are complete. Let the wars begin.... The 4:30 kickoff party was not by accident. Bury the bulldog...the party is over....unfortunate as it may be.

Three HS system talk is brewing again. With what I heard last night, two reports coming out this week on feasability that were requested lasr year are complete. Let the wars begin.... The 4:30 kickoff party was not by accident. Bury the bulldog...the party is over....unfortunate as it may be.

The party just begun. Do thoes idiot's really think they are safe next election? What is done can be undone. We as a county and community have to stand together. I said before that it won't happen....and it won't.

My question is,who's fighting for AHS on the school board? I see a lot of posters on here that claim this is wrong and have love for AHS, but I don't here anybody putting their names on the ballet next year...

AHS will not be shut down. Giffin and her squad of bias thugs need to good..period!

If in response to my comment, I knew somebody would take that personally. Was trying to be objective and not give offense. This year's WM team just didn't look as fast and athletic across the board to me as some past ones.

Hey, I'd love for WM to win a title. Would be great for the YVC. Plus like a lot AHS grads I've got family on that side of the river and some went to WM. Lot of respect for WM from this AHS fan - would like to think it is given back but comments like "stick it" suggest otherwise. . . .

Now finish strong and good luck. . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT