ADVERTISEMENT

West Charlotte vs Ardrey Kell (AK player suspended for racial slur)

Also at the bottom of the article, From Charlotte Observer:

"There have already been tensions about this game after the N.C. High School Athletic Association made West Charlotte move the game to Vance due to limited seating at West Charlotte. The game will start at 7 p.m. Tuesday."

NCHSAA has seating requirements across the board. WC seats about 450 people for a 4A 4th round game that’s not even close to what was the min. In regards to the games moving aspect just people wanting drama. All coaches and AD’s understand the seating requirements needed and that with a smaller gym you know it’s a possibility. WC has earned the right to host but this right here is another reason beginning with the 4th round all games should be neutral.

Reactions: ThePolkNation
I agree the game should have been moved. I go to the games over here all the time. If you don't get to the JV games at WC you won't get in. WC was mad because they didn't have a say in the location. They wanted the game to be moved to Phillip O' Berry. I know the NCHSAA rules about seating. Butler football games get moved all the time because of it.

All American whats the size of Olympics gym and Independence's gym? Assuming they are similar in size to West Charlotte or maybe a little bigger? WOuld AK have gone to Olympic or if the seeds reversed made WC go to AK? Its a basketball gym. Once AK had their allotment the rest should be first come first serve. Many people were turned away from Olympic or just refused to go once they saw the lines wrapped around the building.

Its just a bitter pill to swallow when you go to a small hostile environment and beat the higher seed in a small gym, then when you et homecourt advantage its taken away. Why wasn't the rule enforced at Olympic or Independence?

I agree the game should have been moved. I go to the games over here all the time. If you don't get to the JV games at WC you won't get in. WC was mad because they didn't have a say in the location. They wanted the game to be moved to Phillip O' Berry. I know the NCHSAA rules about seating. Butler football games get moved all the time because of it.
Berry I think would have
All American whats the size of Olympics gym and Independence's gym? Assuming they are similar in size to West Charlotte or maybe a little bigger? WOuld AK have gone to Olympic or if the seeds reversed made WC go to AK? Its a basketball gym. Once AK had their allotment the rest should be first come first serve. Many people were turned away from Olympic or just refused to go once they saw the lines wrapped around the building.

Its just a bitter pill to swallow when you go to a small hostile environment and beat the higher seed in a small gym, then when you et homecourt advantage its taken away. Why wasn't the rule enforced at Olympic or Independence?
indy has a huge gym, Olympic is much bigger than WC but smaller than Indy. Once again to put it into prospective Albemarle high seats 550 max and WC seats 450.

Why in the world would a 4a high school have a gym that fits 450 people
That’s a great question. That’s still the original gym that was built with the school. With all of the other new construction in CMS you would figure they could throw some change towards WC and get that done.

I do not think there are seating requirements in basketball. In football, yes. But not in other sports. I COULD be wrong but im pretty sure thats right.

Starting last season the regional semifinal moved from the site of the regional final. That would be Hickory and previously Greensboro and Winston. Schools requested the regional semifinal to be moved to higher seed due to travel. Charlotte schools wanted the change as they often had three schools in this round with two in the same game. The mountain and far western schools were very vocal for the move. NCHSAA agreed but was hesitate for this exact reason. It was specifically reviewed and determined that neutral sites would need to be used if deemed necessary due to travel distance and / or facility size or conditions.

Hopefully the new building that is set to be constructed on the same site will include a sizable gym.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT