ADVERTISEMENT

Well Lets Hear It ( Murphy vs East Surry)

If anyone has a gripe with Murphy about transfers they'd be more inclined to have a beef with the women's basketball program (Beckner and Moore) or baseball program (Barolet brothers).

Even then, Beckner and the Barolet's physically moved into Murphy's district, all above board. The only one that didn't was Moore and she sat out a year to comply with the rules at the time.

But instead you have idiots that complain about the football program, out of jealousy I guess, which hasn't had a local transfer in years other than two families (Clapsaddle and Posey) that had always lived in Murphy's district.

Last edited:
Murphy is well respected these people trying to make it seem like that the only reason Murphy wins so much is because they pick up recruits it's nonsense. I've read comments for years on the football forums stating the same thing I don't see nothing wroung with young kids wanting to play for a school that has tridition plus loosing is not fun. now transferring does hurt only the schools that lose anyway they just lose worse also if you ask me if a school can pick up a transfer here and there and don't break any rules I believe its a good thing part of being an American is being free to have a say in our decisions .good luck to Murphy bring home the Trophy...

Reactions: mbdfan
Does it matter? Seems everyone protects the advantaged schools these days and I may be wrong as I think you may have also. If I am wrong I apologise !

It’s the truth. I’ve never protected Bishop. Quite the opposite. It was an absolute disgrace what the NCHSAA allowed to happen. I don’t blame Bishop one bit. They were/are allowed to do it. So why would they not.

Murphy fans know they'd be throwing stones from a glass house to complain about big girls moving into the district midway through high school, think that was an Avery fan that brought that up.

As far as Clapsaddle, she went to Hayesville while her parents worked there, but has always lived in Murphy and has been there all of high school.

Thank you for the clarification.

The Clapsaddle's are from Martins Creek, a feeder community for Murphy. They've always lived in Martins Creek, they only went to school in Hayesville when their parents (educators) worked for the Hayesville school system.

Murphy does have a transfer on the team, the Moore girl is from Hiwassee Dam, but she sat out her sophomore year when she transferred.

Thanks as well and good luck to the Dogs. I respect both programs. Should be a great game.

If anyone has a gripe with Murphy about transfers they'd be more inclined to have a beef with the women's basketball program (Beckner and Moore) or baseball program (Barolet brothers).

Even then, Beckner and the Barolet's physically moved into Murphy's district, all above board. The only one that didn't was Moore and she sat out a year to comply with the rules at the time.

But instead you have idiots that complain about the football program, out of jealousy I guess, which hasn't had a local transfer in years other than two families (Clapsaddle and Posey) that had always lived in Murphy's district.
I cheer for Murphy and really dont care who goes where i know Murphy got the Barolet brothers from baseball and garrett clapsaddle if u wanna count that, Aubrey for basketball, the Rumfelts brothers, Posey brothers, reid beal, chad woody all went to Hayesville at some point, and Bri moore, beckener and one other girl from hiwassee dam, and the Martin girl thats a freshman is from Andrews, but from what ive heard they all lived or moved there which is fine, but Mugharbil in football still lives in Hayesville

What do the matchups look like for this game personnel wise. I’ve heard murphy has good guard play, do they have an answer for Sutphin and does murphy have a prolific scorer that East has to guard differently.

but Mugharbil in football still lives in Hayesville
It's true that he lives in Clay County (not Hayesville but Hayesville district obviously) but he isn't a transfer as he's went to Cherokee County schools his whole life, just like his three older brothers Tarik, Mohammad and Mustafa did.

I'm not sure why, maybe because their father Dr. Mugharbil practices medicine in Murphy (or more accurately Peachtree) and it was more convenient for him that way.

Last edited:
What do the matchups look like for this game personnel wise. I’ve heard murphy has good guard play, do they have an answer for Sutphin and does murphy have a prolific scorer that East has to guard differently.
Murphy is pretty balanced in their scoring, they have about 7 girls that can have a big night. But their "big 3" is Clapsaddle 5'7 senior guard, Addison 5'11 junior forward and Rogers 6'0 or 6'1 freshman center.

I assume Addison will be the one guarding Sutphin most of the night, Sydni is versatile and a good all around athlete with some D2 offers in basketball. Sutphin will obviously get hers either way because she really is that good, but hopefully Addison will limit her enough to force some other East Surry players to come up big.

Last edited:
Murphy is pretty balanced in their scoring, they have about 7 girls that can have a big night. But their "big 3" is Clapsaddle 5'7 senior guard, Addison 5'11 junior forward and Rogers 6'0 or 6'1 freshman center.

I assume Addison will be the one guarding Sutphin most of the night, Sydni is versatile and a good all around athlete with some D2 offers in basketball. Sutphin will obviously get hers either way because she really is that good, but hopefully Addison will limit her enough to force some other East Surry players to come up big.
Tough when that many people can beat you, East has had their best games when everyone is hitting shots Sutphin gets her 20-30 reguardless and that has been enough to win but when everyone else is hitting on all cylinders is when the blowouts come, although I believe it’s gonna take everyone in sync to win this one.

Tough when that many people can beat you, East has had their best games when everyone is hitting shots Sutphin gets her 20-30 reguardless and that has been enough to win but when everyone else is hitting on all cylinders is when the blowouts come, although I believe it’s gonna take everyone in sync to win this one.
When I say 7 girls can have a big night I'm talking double digits in scoring, but if we are talking like truly go off (20 or more) it's more like 4 girls that have that in their locker.

If East Surry gets beat it's going to mean at least 2 of the 3 girls I mentioned earlier had great all around games and it will probably take all 3 having one.

Last edited:
I think Murphy pulls out a close one, they are too deep if Clapsaddle is on shes hard to beat, Addison always gets hers, Rogers coming alone nicely she gonna be special years to come, Moore and Martin do there jobs control the ball makes passes, hustle, play D, Pickens off the bench can light it up, and also Pullium can factor in, and the Coach is very good at making changes and stopping the strengths and attacking the weakness, im sure Sumptin will get hers she on another level but the rest of the team will have to step up if they want to win, whoever wins ill be pulling for at State

I think Murphy pulls out a close one, they are too deep if Clapsaddle is on shes hard to beat, Addison always gets hers, Rogers coming alone nicely she gonna be special years to come, Moore and Martin do there jobs control the ball makes passes, hustle, play D, Pickens off the bench can light it up, and also Pullium can factor in, and the Coach is very good at making changes and stopping the strengths and attacking the weakness, im sure Sumptin will get hers she on another level but the rest of the team will have to step up if they want to win, whoever wins ill be pulling for at State
I'm sorry for my comments earlier in the week. Some family issues and the loss to Murphy really had me down in the dumps, and that's because Avery has never had much to cheer about in team sports. But no matter who transfers where it is to win, I respect that. I know when Avery's girls were freshmen, Murphy's coach was at hiwassee dam, and they were number 1 seed in west in playoffs and very good. I want to think Atkins was in their last year in 1a, and upset hd in round of 8, then lost to prep. Avery's freshmen alone in that 2nd round game had 45 of the 55 points, and the seniors did not even play. They cried more after that game than tues night. They were so upset, cause that senior class played lazy in that game like they could care less. I think if Avery didn't lose two starting sophomore guards to Mitchell, maybe they are better. But I will say this, everybody on avery has always went to Avery But those players on Murphy that transferred from hd, I can't blame them for following their coach. I don't know if the state championship game was played between Murphy and Avery or es and Murphy. We will see tomorrow.

Could be but East Surry has been as in the movie Dirty Dancing . no body puts baby down, East Surry in football and basketball this year has taken that seriously, they don't like to be overlooked or put down ! They will be put down by the conference if they can't keep the NWC's string of 13 wins going.
Nobody could ever put down the nw1a, and if they do they are wrong. I think all streaks come to an end eventually. And seems like some of the other conferences are coming on stronger each and every year. Just a matter of time!!

Nobody could ever put down the nw1a, and if they do they are wrong. I think all streaks come to an end eventually. And seems like some of the other conferences are coming on stronger each and every year. Just a matter of time!!
Avery will probably never have a better group of girls for decades or ever. That's how often they are good at basketball. Maybe these girls will have kids that grow up to be better than them lol. But I sure enjoyed the ride while it lasted!!

Well with the East Surry vs Murphy just under 16 hours away I have my prediction. Although I am pulling for East Surry I give Murphy the edge as I can't remember if or when East Surry made it to the western Championship game, not that they haven't but it has to be more then 13 years ago and I may be wrong and they made it and lost. This can be a close game but if ES lets Murphy get a 10 point lead with 4 or less minutes left then I don't think ES can recover for a win. Murphy has the nerves to recover or keep the lead where I am not sure ES can handle it with no deep playoff experience. Good luck to both but I have to pull for the NWC.This will be the real State Championship Game IMO. On the other hand, East Surry can win if they go in with the attitude this is just another game and have the confidence it will take to win then I can see them come away with a win. Which ES team will show up ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan and sbbbfan
I get prepped last night to get up bright and early this morning to make the trek to Hickory. Well my little boy wakes up at 1:30 am running a fever and throwing up, the joys of parenthood lol.

I did a little digging and the good news is that me an anyone else that wants to watch the Murphy - East Surry game (or any of the regional final basketball games) can do so for one payment of $9.95 on http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/

It's pretty straightforward, just make an account and provide your debit or credit card info for payment and you can cancel at anytime. I used this website last year to watch Murphy's state title game in baseball and it works fine.

In a way this works better because I can just watch any of the games I want without changing venues or buying another ticket.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I get prepped last night to get up bright and early this morning to make the trek to Hickory. Well my little boy wakes up at 1:30 am running a fever and throwing up, the joys of parenthood lol.

I did a little digging and the good news is that me an anyone else that wants to watch the Murphy - East Surry game (or any of the regional final basketball games) can do so for one payment of $9.95 on http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/

It's pretty straightforward, just make an account and provide your debit or credit card info for payment and you can cancel at anytime. I used this website last year to watch Murphy's state title game in baseball and it works fine.

In a way this works better because I can just watch any of the games I want without changing venues or buying another ticket.
What time should the Murphy games pop up ?

Murphy controlling the 1st half. ES also 0-6 from 3 point range. The Lady Cards have to start making a few of those in the 2nd half to have a chance against a strong Murphy team.

Well with the East Surry vs Murphy just under 16 hours away I have my prediction. Although I am pulling for East Surry I give Murphy the edge as I can't remember if or when East Surry made it to the western Championship game, not that they haven't but it has to be more then 13 years ago and I may be wrong and they made it and lost. This can be a close game but if ES lets Murphy get a 10 point lead with 4 or less minutes left then I don't think ES can recover for a win. Murphy has the nerves to recover or keep the lead where I am not sure ES can handle it with no deep playoff experience. Good luck to both but I have to pull for the NWC.This will be the real State Championship Game IMO. On the other hand, East Surry can win if they go in with the attitude this is just another game and have the confidence it will take to win then I can see them come away with a win. Which ES team will show up ?
Well East Surry proved me wrong :rolleyes: not only did they come from way behind but they were behind the whole game and won tied up 38-38 with a 3 point shot with 1 & 1/2 minutes left in the game.

I have picked ES from the start. I think they have a great supporting cast to go with Sutpin, with that being said Murphy is playing really good basketball right now and seemed to have peaked at the right time. Additionally both teams are well coached.

I’m going with ES by 3 BUT if this goes to OT I think it goes Murphy’s way by 2.
You would made lot of money n Vegas lol

East Surry girls have shown more heart in these playoffs than I’ve seen from a young high school team no seniors but always stay poised

Reactions: gdawg74
East Surry girls have shown more heart in these playoffs than I’ve seen from a young high school team no seniors but always stay poised
Oh yea that is true. The comeback on both smc teams was monumental. Avery would be a close second. Beating Mitchell in ot with two starters fouling out. Behind ma by 8 with 4 mins left in 3rd. Behind by 10 to Murphy with 1.14 left and forced ot only to come up a ill short. Also es was behind to ua at halftime and pulled away. Congrats to es cardinals. Unbelievable heart and determination to win!_

Oh yea that is true. The comeback on both smc teams was monumental. Avery would be a close second. Beating Mitchell in ot with two starters fouling out. Behind ma by 8 with 4 mins left in 3rd. Behind by 10 to Murphy with 1.14 left and forced ot only to come up a ill short. Also es was behind to ua at halftime and pulled away. Congrats to es cardinals. Unbelievable heart and determination to win!_
Avery was seniors though, and es had young players make the big plays. Unbelievable!!

And East Surry has them all returning next year not one graduates.

Congrats to east surry....ill eat my crowe....i thought murphy's experience would be the difference....but i was wrong. You should send a ring to that cherokee girl that swung her elbows after yall blow out pamlico next week:)

Congrats to east surry....ill eat my crowe....i thought murphy's experience would be the difference....but i was wrong. You should send a ring to that cherokee girl that swung her elbows after yall blow out pamlico next week:)

Well, you are kinda right. Murphy does have much experience slowing the game down.

Excuses excuses all I’ve heard the whole playoff run for the cards. What if this what if that. Fact is they have won and should win next week as well as next year.

This East Surry team and the Mount Airy team from the last two years are completely different. MA had tons of speed and experience. East should win but in a different style

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I don't know why coach's when they get up by say 10 want to go into a slowdown mode and quit doing the things that got them the big lead I've seen to may teams lose because they quit trying to score all it takes is to go cold at the foul line and the other team can catch up fast its the same thing that happens often in football a team gets big lead and changes there defence to the prevent defence why would you change your defence if you have a big lead your defence has had to be playing good so why change what your doing never has made any sence to me..only think I can figure if you do this your playing not to lose instead of to win..

Just my opinion !! I believe some of you are getting confused with saying Murphy tried to slow down the game. I seen a team that was running their offense plain and simple. Every team is not made to run and gun. That’s pretty much all you see anymore. Also I believe both these teams were evenly matched and played great defense which made it look even slower. Keep in mind these are young kids and they had to have been nervous especially playing in a college gym that had 5000 people in it before the game started. Two top notched teams going at it with a lot of underclassmen.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Great game between 2 talented and well coached teams. A defensive battle from start to finish, heck East was held to 14 at the half. I would say Sutphin wasn’t what I expected to see, but I’m sure this wasn’t a game to base anything off of. Murphy doubled her anytime she slid to the post and helped anytime she touched the ball. Murphy’s coach really gameplanned well for her. There were times when you got a glimpse of how good she is but Murphy did a good job of containing her. Even with her offensive game not up to par she makes up for it defensively. As for someone saying she has no supporting cast, well she does, and those girls stepped up to advance East to the state championship. Congratulations and well done. As for Murphy, Didn’t shoot the 3 as well as they did against Avery which ultimately hurt them. Defensively they were great, put bodies on everyone and kept East Surry of the offensive boards for the most part. Rodgers is going to be special, basketball smarts unlike any freshman I’ve probably ever seen. She has good size, handles, shoots, and can take you off the dribble. Plays with her back to the basket mostly because of her height and everyone else’s lack of it but she has wing D1 potential for sure. So I’m pretty sure I got to watch at least 2 D1 girls in 1a so that was great. Stayed for Heritage, Forbush. And like most games with Heritage, they’ll kill you in the 4th. Tipton is great, one of the best guards in the west no matter what classification. They’re deep, 4-5 girls that could go for 20 any game. Make you play at their pace and if you’re not deep, then you’re done. Good luck to both East Surry and Mtn Heritage girls and congratulations on making it to the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT