ADVERTISEMENT

Well Lets Hear It ( Murphy vs East Surry)

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
Can East Surry keep the Western Championship and State Championship in the NWC for the 14th year straight or does Murphy have the edge in this one ?

Last edited:
Sounds like it could go either way I expect it to come down to the final minute. I’ll pick East in a thriller. GO CARDS!!

Sounds like it could go either way I expect it to come down to the final minute. I’ll pick East in a thriller. GO CARDS!!
If it's like the Mount Airy vs Murphy western Championship last year, It was considered to be the real state Championship because Mount Airy only beat Murphy 46-35 for the Western Championship and blowed by Pamlico 69-32 in 2018 and beat Pamlico 66-40 in 2017 after getting by Avery 49-38 that year. So East Surry, keep it in the NWC for the 14th straight year.

Last edited:
Just be glad that cherokee girl swung her elbows otherwise your team wouldnt have been playing tonight....getting hot from 3 is part of the game...just like having one great player is part of east surry's game.

Reactions: uk-te-na
Murphy has to be the favorite. They were here last year and they are playing really good ball right now.

I agree, somewhat, if the girl for doesn’t get a technical foul, East probably does not win that game. BUT if East makes some of the easy shots around the basket that they missed down the stretch, then Cherokee never takes the lead to begin with.

Murphy is a very good team, and East Surry is too. I just think East inexperience might show up this game.

I have picked ES from the start. I think they have a great supporting cast to go with Sutpin, with that being said Murphy is playing really good basketball right now and seemed to have peaked at the right time. Additionally both teams are well coached.

I’m going with ES by 3 BUT if this goes to OT I think it goes Murphy’s way by 2.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
East is the favorite with Sutphin but like has been mentioned already Murphy's experience could play a factor.

At the end of the day you have two very good teams battling it out. This could very well come down to a key play or two by a role player to make the difference. I believe it will be that close.

Murphy were the second best 1A team in the state the last two years and if that were to be the case for a third consecutive year, with no titles or even a title game appearance, it would be a really tough pill to swallow.

I'm hoping it goes down like it did for the Murphy baseball team last year, who had been knocking on the door for the better part of the decade (three regional final appearances, two undefeated regular seasons, two title game appearances, etc) and then that last group finally get over the hump as seniors.

Keep dreaming this won’t be that big of a margin either way y’all mountain people think the SMC is untouchable it’s hilarious.
Look man. I will be straight up with you. If you didn't have sutphin transfer you would have got killed by Cherokee. We mountain people don't have the luxury of lets see I will just go to es this year. You got who you got in the mountains. Sutphin is awesome. But if Murphy shoots well, it's over!!

East is the favorite with Sutphin but like has been mentioned already Murphy's experience could play a factor.
I said whoever won last night would go to state, and I still think that. Avery's players have been together for 5 or 6 years, and I think think sutphin will get her 20 or 30 points, but 1 player only gets you so far. Remember you struggled with a smaller Cherokee team that Murphy easily beat 3 times. The key word guards!!!

Look man. I will be straight up with you. If you didn't have sutphin transfer you would have got killed by Cherokee. We mountain people don't have the luxury of lets see I will just go to es this year. You got who you got in the mountains. Sutphin is awesome. But if Murphy shoots well, it's over!!
Sutphin lives in the East Surry district wasn’t just oh I’m gonna move schools ordeal. Nice try tho

Sutphin lives in the East Surry district wasn’t just oh I’m gonna move schools ordeal. Nice try tho
My point is mountain teams can't just jump the ship. One year I'm playing for north Surry going to state in 2a. Now north Surry isn't that good I will just go to es and play in final four. The thing about mountain basketball teams is they are pure basketball teams. Most of the schools are too far apart to transfer. Like saying you put Murphy Cherokee and hayesville together they would kill teams. If you put Avery Mitchell and mh together they would kill people. You can't recruit in these mountain areas like you can the prep schools and charter schools down in the foothills.

Reactions: PantherPit07
My point is mountain teams can't just jump the ship. One year I'm playing for north Surry going to state in 2a. Now north Surry isn't that good I will just go to es and play in final four. The thing about mountain basketball teams is they are pure basketball teams. Most of the schools are too far apart to transfer. Like saying you put Murphy Cherokee and hayesville together they would kill teams. If you put Avery Mitchell and mh together they would kill people. You can't recruit in these mountain areas like you can the prep schools and charter schools down in the foothills.
I agree you can’t recruit like prep and charter schools but neither can East Surry her home is in our district there was no recruiting done. Know what your talking about before you start using recruiting as the reason East is good when that’s just false.

I will be honest , I seen Murphy last year in the regional final , the dawgs are tough . I seen East last night , the girls around supthin carried the game for 3 quarters. But when the game was in doubt supthin took the game over, they could triple teamed her and it wouldn’t have helped , when she wants to or is told to its another level . Should be a good one, don’t think the cards are quite as good as the bears were last year, bears were real good at 5 positions, cards are outstanding at 1 and solid at 4. My prediction is back to back for the cards, depending on how the other 4 develop could be 1 more after the 2

I agree you can’t recruit like prep and charter schools but neither can East Surry her home is in our district there was no recruiting done. Know what your talking about before you start using recruiting as the reason East is good when that’s just false.
Well if that's the case why was she at north Surry?

I will be honest , I seen Murphy last year in the regional final , the dawgs are tough . I seen East last night , the girls around supthin carried the game for 3 quarters. But when the game was in doubt supthin took the game over, they could triple teamed her and it wouldn’t have helped , when she wants to or is told to its another level . Should be a good one, don’t think the cards are quite as good as the bears were last year, bears were real good at 5 positions, cards are outstanding at 1 and solid at 4. My prediction is back to back for the cards, depending on how the other 4 develop could be 1 more after the 2
Union academy is not better all around .You will never ever convince me otherwise. Both teams Avery and Murphy are better than ua. Ua lost to langtree and team Allegheny that beat langtree by 17 lost to Murphy by 27. You can't beat a team by that much and call it luck.

Murphy's guards will eat those guards alive. Just wait til Saturday you will see.
Sorry but families move around in this area all the time if they rent. Most of the time it is job-related where in some cases a husband may have got a job in Winston 35 minutes plus from the Mount Airy / North Surry area and if the other spouse works in Mount Airy it saves a lot of gas, in the long run, to move to Pilot Mountain where East Surry sets. Same goes for Mount Airy as people are moving in and out of the city all the time and always have as long as I can remember. The main thing is I guarantee if there is a move made in this county it is done legally and because everyone knows everyone and what goes on no one would get by with an illegal move. Now I can't say much for the private or open enrollment schools in this conference, Y'all can debate that as I have had my fill proving their advantages over the years. If she came from North Surry it was a legal move and a waste of time debating it because it would have already exploded in the conference and has not been complained about in the NWC that I have seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan
Well if that's the case why was she at north Surry?

She lived in the North Surry district and went to Gentry through middle school which is the feeder for North Surry. I believe during the summer between her Freshman and Sophomore year they moved into East district. She got hurt during her sophomore year at North Surry and didn't play but a few games. They decided to go to East Surry where they now live for the remainder of her high school years. Neither decision had anything to do with going to a school for a better team. When she was a freshman and they made the run to state title she was living in North Surry district.

Even though ES is the #1 seed I think they are the underdog in this game. They are more than capable of winning, but Murphy has to have the edge with their past experience. You have to remember ES has 2 freshmen starters (a 3rd getting decent amount of time off the bench). It's a little different playing in that regional environment and also not on your home court. Murphy was there last year, so they have an edge in this one.

Union academy is not better all around .You will never ever convince me otherwise. Both teams Avery and Murphy are better than ua. Ua lost to langtree and team Allegheny that beat langtree by 17 lost to Murphy by 27. You can't beat a team by that much and call it luck.
Murphy was beaten by Hayesville, a team East Surry destroyed by 26 in spite of the officials calling that game completely one sided to try to keep Hayesville in it, otherwise it would have been by 40 or more. East beat Mt Airy by 36, who you only beat by 11, so I guess that means we would beat you by roughly 25 points or so by your logic. What’s your point? Do I think they are 36 points better than Mt Airy or 25 points better than you, NO! Either team is capable of potentially being blown out by the other, if one gets hot while the other is ice cold or on or off for any reason. That’s basketball, it happens. I get it, Avery and Murphy are the best teams ever! I know you have something against East for unfairly taking Avery’s rightfull spot on top of the 1A rankings this season. You pick against them every chance you get. Maybe you’ll finally be right this weekend, maybe not, just get over it already.

Reactions: gdawg74
Murphy was beaten by Hayesville, a team East Surry destroyed by 26 in spite of the officials calling that game completely one sided to try to keep Hayesville in it, otherwise it would have been by 40 or more. East beat Mt Airy by 36, who you only beat by 11, so I guess that means we would beat you by roughly 25 points or so by your logic. What’s your point? Do I think they are 36 points better than Mt Airy or 25 points better than you, NO! Either team is capable of potentially being blown out by the other, if one gets hot while the other is ice cold or on or off for any reason. That’s basketball, it happens. I get it, Avery and Murphy are the best teams ever! I know you have something against East for unfairly taking Avery’s rightfull spot on top of the 1A rankings this season. You pick against them every chance you get. Maybe you’ll finally be right this weekend, maybe not, just get over it already.
Couldn’t have said it better myself

Reactions: Tony1038
Couldn’t have said it better myself
I can see this as the best game to end the season and my opinion this will once again be for the real State Championship game no mater who wins. I like both teams but will East Surry let down the NWC after 13 straight years of State Championships ?
Good luck to both teams and to both I say keep it in the west ! !

Who cares if you recruited her she lives in your district. And again, Murphy should never say anything about transfers. Ever. As far as the game, I think Murphy gets over the hump and gets it done, this wins the state title

Reactions: KW23
Who cares if you recruited her she lives in your district. And again, Murphy should never say anything about transfers. Ever. As far as the game, I think Murphy gets over the hump and gets it done, this wins the state title
Could be but East Surry has been as in the movie Dirty Dancing . no body puts baby down, East Surry in football and basketball this year has taken that seriously, they don't like to be overlooked or put down ! They will be put down by the conference if they can't keep the NWC's string of 13 wins going.

Last edited:
Could be but East Surry has been as in the movie Dirty Dancing . no body puts baby down, East Surry in football and basketball has taken that seriously,they don't like to be overlooked or put down ! The will be put down if they can't keep the NWC's string of 13 wins going.

How many of those were by a private school playing public with unlimited boundary lines?

Murphy fan was complaining about transfer.......that was avery county fan

Yes hayesville beat Murphy at Hayesville, but murphy was without the freshman Center, and nothing they shot went in and im from hayesville they beat us by 40 at Murphy, so i wouldnt look much into that

Reactions: mbdfan
I can see this as the best game to end the season and my opinion this will once again be for the real State Championship game no mater who wins. I like both teams but will East Surry let down the NWC after 13 straight years of State Championships ?
Good luck to both teams and to both I say keep it in the west ! !

I don’t think the East Surry players or coaches could care less about who has won the last 13 championships. In fact, when the NW streak started everyone on this East team was 3 years old, or younger.

Is the Sutphin girl related to former Prep Poster Old Rebel?

Good luck to the winner in the State title game next weekend!

Murphy fans know they'd be throwing stones from a glass house to complain about big girls moving into the district midway through high school, think that was an Avery fan that brought that up.

As far as Clapsaddle, she went to Hayesville while her parents worked there, but has always lived in Murphy and has been there all of high school.

Reactions: mbdfan
The Clapsaddle's are from Martins Creek, a feeder community for Murphy. They've always lived in Martins Creek, they only went to school in Hayesville when their parents (educators) worked for the Hayesville school system.

Murphy does have a transfer on the team, the Moore girl is from Hiwassee Dam, but she sat out her sophomore year when she transferred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Griddie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT