ADVERTISEMENT

Week One: Dudley @ Page

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
Rivalry game first week of the season. Pirates and Panthers.

Page has slowly declined the past 3 seasons after Gillespie left, but looks to rebound quickly after a dreadful season last year. It will most likely take a few years to get back to where the program should be, making runs in the playoffs and competing for State Championships. Things are looking up with the hire of Coach Robertson and Co.

It will be very interesting to see things unfold for Page in the future. This year will be a wash with covid and the inevitable postponements (knock on wood). We wish everyone involved a safe season.

As for this game, Dudley is probably the early favorite. The Panthers have the continuity and cupboard isn't nearly as bare. Page has seen 4 starters transfer to Grimsley, including starting QB and RB from last year, Barnett and Melton.

Last edited:

Page has slowly declined the past 3 seasons after Gillespie left, but looks to rebound quickly after a dreadful season last year. It will mostly likely take a few years to get back to where the program should be, making runs in the playoffs and competing for State Championships. Things are looking up with the hire of Coach Robertson and Co.

It will be very interesting to see things unfold for Page in the future. This year will be a wash with covid and the inevitable postponements (knock on wood). We wish everyone involved a safe season.

As for this game, Dudley is probably the early favorite. The Panthers have the continuity and cupboard isn't nearly as bare. Page has seen 4 starters transfer to Grimsley, including starting QB and RB from last year, Barnett and Melton.
Don’t know why they transferred but Coach Robertson is a winner.

Page has slowly declined the past 3 seasons after Gillespie left, but looks to rebound quickly after a dreadful season last year. It will mostly likely take a few years to get back to where the program should be, making runs in the playoffs and competing for State Championships. Things are looking up with the hire of Coach Robertson and Co.

+1

Don’t know why they transferred but Coach Robertson is a winner.

It wasn't because of Robertson. It was most likely they were turned off by the last guy, and Grimsley being the "win now, my kid needs the exposure"

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
It wasn't because of Robertson. It was most likely they were turned off by the last guy, and Grimsley being the "win now, my kid needs the exposure"

Actually it was. He even so much as admits it in an interview on "another site". He has been a good coach, but until he proves that he can actually develop players they aren't going to want to play there. Guilford County DOES NOT have open enrollment, but there are many legitimate ways to transfer out of a school. Page is a program that will want to win NOW, and players are also going to expect looks to get to the next level. That is the history of the program and that is what they are going to expect out of Robertson.

Actually it was. He even so much as admits it in an interview on "another site". He has been a good coach, but until he proves that he can actually develop players they aren't going to want to play there. Guilford County DOES NOT have open enrollment, but there are many legitimate ways to transfer out of a school. Page is a program that will want to win NOW, and players are also going to expect looks to get to the next level. That is the history of the program and that is what they are going to expect out of Robertson.
This doesn't make much sense, he developed plenty of kids at Eastern Guilford...

After watching said video, take that comment from Robertson with a grain of salt. He is only just saying what is politically correct in an interview setting. There were multiple guys who transferred out of Page when Rolfes was still the coach, the writing was on the wall. When a new coach comes in and clean slate, everyone has to work for their spot, of course a couple more kids are going to leave. If you think Robertson can't develop players, you clearly haven't been paying attention to Triad area football recently and it's probably some kind of sour grapes or just hate.

After watching said video, take that comment from Robertson with a grain of salt. He is only just saying what is politically correct in an interview setting. There were multiple guys who transferred out of Page when Rolfes was still the coach, the writing was on the wall. When a new coach comes in and clean slate, everyone has to work for their spot, of course a couple more kids are going to leave. If you think Robertson can't develop players, you clearly haven't been paying attention to Triad area football recently and it's probably some kind of sour grapes or just hate.

1. Politically correct, yes, lying, no.

2. There are no "sour grapes" and no hate here. I have no connection to the coach and have no opinion on him one way or another, I'm just giving you the truth of the matter. He told you out of his mouth what the situation was and you still refuse to believe him.😏

3. I'm not the one that he has to convince that he can develop players, it is the players and parents at Page that he has to win over.

4. It will be interesting to see how both teams do.

Last edited:
1. Politically correct, yes, lying, no.

2. There are no "sour grapes" and no hate here. I have no connection to the coach and have no opinion on him one way or another, I'm just giving you the truth of the matter. He told you out of his mouth what the situation was and you still refuse to believe him.😏

3. I'm not the one that he has to convince that he can develop players, it is the players and parents at Page that he has to win over.

4. It will be interesting to see how both teams do.

I think youre taking what he said out of context. We can agree to disagree.

The question from the reporter: "Page's quarterbacks in 2019 were Javondre Paige and Alonza Barnett III, those two guys graduated and transferred respectively. Of course, the Pirates do need a new starting signal caller, so who is the front runner for that job right now?"

Robertson's answer: "Yeah, like I told them, ya know, Javondre is a great leader, so its hard to replace. And Alonza decided, like other people, that this turnaround and difference in culture was not for him, and he wanted to go other places, and that's their business, so we don't worry too much about guys that don't want to be here. We are more focused on the guys that do want to be here."

Gillespie said basically the same thing to the media when he first took the Page job back in 2006, when kids were turned off from Via (just like they were with Rolfes). And Gillespie came from Trinity, where if my memory serves me correctly, didn't develop any high D1 athletes. Robertson at this point has more of a track record of that than Gillespie did at that point in his career, if I'm comparing the two. But quite frankly, no one questioned Coach G's ability to develop players.... and no one is doing that with Robertson. That's not what the Robertson hire is about. It is about rebuilding the program back to where its supposed to be using teamwork and building off that, which will yield high level players in the process.

I still don't understand how you came to your conclusion.

Look, Page is down right now, and will probably receive less recruiting exposure because of it, in the short term. Some of Page's best players moved to Grimsley, for more chances at winning and exposure in the now, its really that easy. It isn't because of Robertson, it is because of those families perceptions of giving those kids the best chance at playing at the next level. Although, its questionable, because some will argue that leaving a team for a greener pasture doesn't actually help in this cause, it could potentially hurt it, showing college coaches that their is no loyalty in hard times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
The question from the reporter: "Page's quarterbacks in 2019 were Javondre Paige and Alonza Barnett III, those two guys graduated and transferred respectively. Of course, the Pirates do need a new starting signal caller, so who is the front runner for that job right now?"

Robertson's answer: "Yeah, like I told them, ya know, Javondre is a great leader, so its hard to replace. And Alonza decided, like other people, that this turnaround and difference in culture was not for him, and he wanted to go other places, and that's their business, so we don't worry too much about guys that don't want to be here. We are more focused on the guys that do want to be here."

Gillespie said basically the same thing to the media when he first took the Page job back in 2006, when kids were turned off from Via (just like they were with Rolfes). And Gillespie came from Trinity, where if my memory serves me correctly, didn't develop any high D1 athletes. Robertson at this point has more of a track record of that than Gillespie did at that point in his career, if I'm comparing the two. But quite frankly, no one questioned Coach G's ability to develop players.... and no one is doing that with Robertson. That's not what the Robertson hire is about. It is about rebuilding the program back to where its supposed to be using teamwork and building off that, which will yield high level players in the process.

I still don't understand how you came to your conclusion.

Look, Page is down right now, and will probably receive less recruiting exposure because of it, in the short term. Some of Page's best players moved to Grimsley, for more chances at winning and exposure in the now, its really that easy. It isn't because of Robertson, it is because of those families perceptions of giving those kids the best chance at playing at the next level. Although, its questionable, because some will argue that leaving a team for a greener pasture doesn't actually help in this cause, it could potentially hurt it, showing college coaches that their is no loyalty in hard times.

It is interesting that whenever a kid leaves a program the blame is ALWAYS put on the kid and the parents. BTW, transferring schools doesn't bother college coaches. It is just "part of the game".

In terms of developing players, my idea of what that means is probably different than others. Either way, the satisfaction level will be on the kids, parents, and administration of Page High School.

The fact that it’s just part of the game is why I’m less and less enamored with high school and college sports. With all of the social media and Hudl, etc., it should be easier than ever to get noticed, regardless of your team’s record.
I’m old and old school. But have little empathy for the me generation approach when it comes to team sports.

Reactions: PagePirates44
It is interesting that whenever a kid leaves a program the blame is ALWAYS put on the kid and the parents. BTW, transferring schools doesn't bother college coaches. It is just "part of the game".

In terms of developing players, my idea of what that means is probably different than others. Either way, the satisfaction level will be on the kids, parents, and administration of Page High School.

It's quite sad that it is "just part of the game" now. Whatever happened to learning lessons from hardships and overcoming adversity? I've always been ho-hum about kids transferring, unless it is because of a legit life matter, and not football related.

The fact that it’s just part of the game is why I’m less and less enamored with high school and college sports. With all of the social media and Hudl, etc., it should be easier than ever to get noticed, regardless of your team’s record.
I’m old and old school. But have little empathy for the me generation approach when it comes to team sports.

If you play QB or WR and your team runs 70+ percent of the time then staying at that school is a tough ask of those players. Same with a RB. If a team throws 70+ percent of the time that may not be a good place for a player. You can't blame a kid for doing that. I say allow kids to play where they are comfortable.

Dudley up 20-0 at half

From the sounds of it, Page is hanging in there, but Dudley just has a few more studs.

Guess he’s engaged😄
The whole Page sideline was heated on a pretty bad no call on a block in the back on the 2nd half kick off return. The play could have caused a very serious injury. definitely didn't change the outcome of the game and its water under the bridge, but you'd like to see the officials do a better job, I guess they have covid rust too. hahaha

Good game Dudley. Good luck and Good health the rest of the season!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT