ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Forbush at East Surry

The Pilot Cards return after their bye week fully rested and ready for a nice return home. Forbush meanwhile is limping into this one nowhere as healthy as last year. They have a 3 game win streak but none of the wins have been convincing or solid. They are reliant on one player and you can’t beat East with just one dude but you can play them hard. However he is their QB and he can’t take a beating too much due to his size. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Bush goes with the direct snap wildcat to see if they can run it on the Cards. But East’s line is so good I doubt it will work.

East by whatever they want here.

Surry Central at North Wilkes

North Wilkes let one slide last week as WC’s speed just wore them down much like what I expected. They played WC great in the first half but from experience WC’s size and especially speed can wear a team down. NW just couldn’t hang and they made mistakes. Meanwhile SC played the Bush hard despite not having a great offensive night. Typical rivalry game between those 2. This one I think will be an opposite deal. NW’s way more experienced especially on the line and it will show when their run gets settled and moving the ball well. SC struggles vs physicality this year. I just don’t see them handling the Vikings well. NW needs to do a better job mentally and completing drives. If they screw up too much SC will find a way to make it annoying.

Elkin at Alleghany

Last week’s matchup went much like my gut told me; the Trojans love to irritate the heck out of the Ronda Cards when they are at home. They beat them a few years ago and almost did again, Lyon just has the magic there. Elkin meanwhile had their worst performance of the season last week vs their best buddies Starmount. They were thudded the worst they have been since my senior year in 2010. Just a nightmare in every way and they are looking to get back on track this week in an annual rivalry game.

These two have been a really, really fun rivalry to watch these past 12 years. There has been a lot of parity as both sides have their streaks and they both play each other very hard. Some years in the past in the old system these two would play to decide who went to the playoffs a lot of years. I expect another potentially interesting one here.

It’s gonna require a solid outing from the Elks to keep it close. With their QB out supposedly (he wasn’t on the stats list last week,) this puts Elkin in a massive hole. Last year they fell apart similarly but it looked like they found more variety this year. Settle has turned into a dependable RB but they have got to get the QB position settled.

With that looking iffy and Alleghany playing hard on all ends it looks really bad for the Elks.

Reidsville at West Stokes

The Wildcats have slowly started to turn things around the past couple of games. Offensive system transition isn’t pretty but they have gutted it out to a solid turnaround with 2 wins in a row including a huge win over Andrews down in HP at Simeon. Having been there that place is intimidating as can be and very hard to win at. Johnson has done one thing UpChurch never did which was to win there; they played in the 2nd round there in 2012.

This week however presents a different situation as they host the Reidsville Rams who are struggling for their standards. However of course their standard is miles above everyone elses. Offensively they aren’t destroying everyone and they have injuries. D Wise especially in conference they are doing really well and have only given up 13 total points. This game will be Reidsville’s best test so far as West is way better at offense than Walkertown is.

West will need to show what they have here. If they perform well it shows they are capable of making a deep run like many figured. Reidsville’s just so athletic and well coached it will take a herculean effort to get there and I don’t think West is ready just yet. However a good performance here will give them enough juice to make a run these next 2 weeks and get a playoff spot.

North Stokes at East Wilkes

The Ronda Cards got a wakeup call they badly needed last week. Alleghany made them suffer and earn that W. Alleghany has always found a way to have the Cards number in Ronda every couple of years and that was no exception. Just comes to show EW cannot afford to sleepwalk as they are too talented to let their progress slip which has been a danger under Wilmoth. This week they host North Stokes for their senior night in this senior group’s farewell. They want to go out with a bang and they should be able to. The Vikings have had a rough few weeks including two shutouts in a row. However they have managed to not completely fall apart either they are still surviving and that’s a W by itself.

East by whatever they like. N Stokes’s season will end next Friday vs ole’ Dave.

Starmount
at South Stokes

Speaking of Dave South hosts Starmount for their senior night; not a great matchup at all. Starmount’s been jamming as of late after a needed landslide over Elkin to boost their spirts. Dezern had another good night as Elkin had no answer of any kind for that run game. Tonight should be another repeat as South struggles badly on defense vs it.

Starmount by whatever they want.

West Wilkes at Wilkes Central

The Eagles have their senior night as they host West Wilkes in Moravian Falls. The Eagles came back from a rather mediocre at best first half last week to run wild over the VIkings. Much like I expected their athletes just had a show to put on vs the slower and bigger Vikings, they look to do the same thing tonight. West meanwhile comes off after a win on their senior night thanks to 2 bad timed turnovers by NS. West however had to hold on for their lives in the 2nd half as time slipped away for the Hounds too much enough to give them the W. WC however will be a different beast and one the Hawks will struggle to handle. There are no athletes in WC’s caliber on West’s squad and they won’t be able to ball control them if their defense continues to struggle.

Freedom at Ashe County

Despite their tough conference slate the Huskies are proving to be competitive and super annoying to everyone they played. Last week they dropped a good wad on Hibriten however the Panthers did the same to the Huskies in return. However it’s looking like the brothers Peters are proving to be a solid pair for Ashe’s future. They will be in good hands the next few seasons. This week they host a down for their standards Freedom team. They are having an okay year but their defense leaves a lot to be desired and it’s not a good week to have those issues. Last year the Huskies had probably their shining moment of the season as the Huskies upset the Patriots on JV up in Jefferson last year so these kids do have experience winning over this team. However they got to play a perfect game on all fronts, Freedom is no slouch.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT