ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 Area Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
MA at South Stokes

The Bears ended up with more of a challenge than we all expected, I figured it would be respectable for the Cards for a half then MA would go off, but it was a solid 3 quarter game from the Cards. It showed both how real they are, and why MA needs to focus on the little things moving forward or else it will bite them in a month. They got 3 games left to do so, and this week’s matchup is going to be the easiest for them as they head to Sauratown to play South Stokes who are just trying to stay healthy to make it to next week, as they play North Stokes in what is their last chance at a W. This week however they gotta face the MA buzzsaw and it’s not going to be an easy outing for them.

MA by whatever they want.

Forbush at East Surry

The Bush got very lucky last week as Elkin made a beyond dumb mistake with that fumble and their LB’er happened to be in the right place at the right time to scoop and score. They got a chance to make the playoffs but it’s gonna take a perfect effort to get there. But tonight sure isn’t going to be the night for them as they head to Pilot to face a jamming ES team. The Cards make WC look awful last week with that burst of scoring on the long plays, and I expect another one of those outings tonight. Bush’s defense struggles against the run and their offense is very one dimensional. East should win by what they want to here.

Elkin at East Wilkes

A solid chance at revenge is at hand for the Ronda Cards as they return home to play their longtime foe Elkin in what could be a fun night for them. Last year Elkin shocked everyone as they played out of their heads without their HC at the time Wood, who wasn’t even there that night, and they fought hard to get a huge upset win for the Elks which helped both save their season and get them into the dance last year. EW finished the year out okay, but that loss just spoiled their season, and I know it’s lingered in their heads ever since. This year it’s a very similar situation as both teams enter in similar spots to last year: Elkin’s been a very underwhelming team who’s let 2 games they should have won slip away from them including last week’s 1 point loss to the Bush off a bad mistake. EW meanwhile’s lived up to their potential and been a solid pest for everyone in the best way. In a lot of ways the Elks caught the Cards sleeping last year, but this year won’t be that same situation. EW by at least 3 TD’s.

West Stokes at Reidsville

Big one here as the Wildcats have the bad luck of being Reidsville’s homecoming game. West is finding ways to win despite not having sexy wins, last week’s game was very, very ugly as North Forsyth gave them everything they wanted and then some. But they did enough to pull it out and to be able to play for the big trophy. Reidsville’s who they typically are, super athletic and a killer defense they’ve only given up 45 points this year to a tough non conference schedule. Watched the Eastern Alamance game and I was very impressed by how cold and efficient they were, they were like a terminator that night. I expect West to play a very deep planned outing tonight, but even then it will be hard for them to handle that speed. Very few teams around the state can.

Alleghany at North Stokes

Trojans are jamming hard right now while North Stokes’s momentum has screeched to a halt, they had only 19 yards of offense vs Starmount last week. This has always been a traditionally hard hitting game and I expect the best from N Stokes. Alleghany I just think is better right now, more #’s and more successful offense.

Wilkes Central at West Wilkes

A big matchup for West Wilkes here, they haven’t beat WC in 17 years. On paper they have all the big things on their side: bigger line, tougher wins, and way better defense. But WC is very athletic and can be a pest with their defense so West better be ready to thud it up tonight. I think this will be a very similar game to the East Wilkes game, WC will give West as much fits as possible with their offense but West will do enough to pull it out.

Carrboro at Starmount

A rather interesting matchup here, one I’ve always wanted to see too. Carrboro and Starmount have always been a dream game for me, glad they are finally doing it. Carrboro isn’t what they were 12 years ago but they are a decent .500 team and a good test for Starmount they haven’t had this year besides MA. This is a replacement for North Iredell’s drop of them early in the year, so I’m glad the seniors get at least one more game for the Rams. I think Starmount will be fine here, they are one of the tougher teams Carrboro will play and I respect them for scheduling it and taking the drive. Starmount’s jamming on all cylinders right now and I don’t see Carrboro keeping it close.

Walkertown at North Forsyth

Up first among the Forsyth school is a rather solid rivalry game between these two squads, they’ve played hard and unpredictable games ever since the WPAC days and they’ve never let up since in the Mid State. This game has a ton of implications for both teams in terms of playoff hopes. Walkertown winning here would help them to a better seed, meanwhile NF is playing for their playoff lives here. Walkertown’s won both conference games however they haven’t been crushing wins either, rather I’d label them mediocre. HP Andrews held them to only 14 and they had a moderate but not crushing shutout last week over Morehead. NF meanwhile has played the 2 best teams in the conference and done very respectable against them: they held Reidsivlle to less than 40 and gave West Stokes all they could handle. They are more battle tested and used to the pressure. However their QB was reported to be injured so if he’s still out that’ll seriously hurt them as they looked to have found some momentum on offense finally. The game will depend on that. If he’s healthy then NF will have a solid chance, if not Walkertown should cruise in possibly not a pretty game.

Corivian Communuity at Carver

Needless to say things couldn’t be any worse for the Jackets, their HC was fired under very odd circumstances after 2 close losses they coulda won, and now they host the conference’s best team in what could get very, very ugly super fast. CC’s jamming beyond expectations as they beat several 4/3A teams early and they’ve cruised over nearly everyone in the conference, last week they got to the running clock score vs Bishop. This week it could be even worse than that, it’ll depend on if Carver’s kids show up mentally to play or not. If they do it’ll be closer, but if not it’ll be ugly. Their season will depend a lot on this game, if they fold it won’t be pretty, but if they coming willing to go then they have a shot at a better end.

Bishop at PL Prep
WS Prep at CSD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT