ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Swain @ Starmount

Originally posted by BigSkyCountry:
I understand what you are saying, but the Yadkin River valley is a similar situation, and yes it is a few hundred feet lower than Bryson City. The NC mountain towns are 3000 - 5000 ft. I will give you that Bryson City is not too far under 3000, but certainly not as high as some of the towns on top of the mountains. If you want to go that far, then West Montgomery sits in the oldest mountain range in the United States, the Uarie Mountains. I think Mountain Football refers more to a style played by schools in and at the base of the mountains. Swain exemplifies Mountain Football, so no disrespect to the folks from the Smokies. You are certainly close to the mountains.
Elevations in Swain County range from 1,085 to 6,643 feet. Swain is not the foothills.
Sorry I posted this before I read the rest of the thread. It made my head spin and then ache.

This post was edited on 12/1 8:18 AM by Knight-of-old

As for the style of football. It has nothing to do with weather it is Option based, Wing t, wish bone, spread, or the Notre Dame Box. It is about a discipline, a determination, a will to win, courage, and a do or die spirit. It is bread and taught in special places. If you want to know were they are, Look in the record books. Not at some Topo Map.

Originally posted by Knight-of-old:
Originally posted by BigSkyCountry:
I understand what you are saying, but the Yadkin River valley is a similar situation, and yes it is a few hundred feet lower than Bryson City. The NC mountain towns are 3000 - 5000 ft. I will give you that Bryson City is not too far under 3000, but certainly not as high as some of the towns on top of the mountains. If you want to go that far, then West Montgomery sits in the oldest mountain range in the United States, the Uarie Mountains. I think Mountain Football refers more to a style played by schools in and at the base of the mountains. Swain exemplifies Mountain Football, so no disrespect to the folks from the Smokies. You are certainly close to the mountains.
Elevations in Swain County range from 1,085 to 6,643 feet. Swain is not the foothills.
Sorry I posted this before I read the rest of the thread. It made my head spin and then ache.

This post was edited on 12/1 8:18 AM by Knight-of-old
Its a lot harder to find the dividing line between the foothills and the coastal plain than it is between the mountains and the foothills.

Saying Swain is not in the mountains is like saying the Pope Is not Catholic.

Saying Starmount is kind of in the mountains is like saying a lizzard is kind of a crocodile.

Saying Starmount is kind of in the mountains is like saying a lizzard is kind of a crocodile.
As offical grader of the upcoming geography/history/literature test I declare this answer gets knight-of-old 10 points extra credit.
smile.r191677.gif

We have had people think Starmount is in Boone before, so who knows...lol!!

I guess PE class will be Friday night at 7:30 gal.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by gal durnit:

As offical grader of the upcoming geography/history/literature test I declare this answer gets knight-of-old 10 points extra credit.
smile.r191677.gif
For a lot of us, geography and BBQ, is all we have left to talk about until next season....lol

Originally posted by Deana_King:

I guess PE class will be Friday night at 7:30 gal.

We will start with the Presidential Physical Fitness Test.

First event is the V-Sit and Reach. We will then move to the shuttle run, followed by the straight bar hang. We will then do the 1 mile run. Finally we will play 4 quarters of football.

This post was edited on 12/1 1:49 PM by gal durnit

Deanna, thank you for that Starmount history about Jackie Brown. I remember seeing him in my mother's old annuals. I did not know what happened to him after Starmount.

Jackie became a minister and passed away too early due to cancer. He played before my time, but I have heard stories of him and what he could do.

Some more interesting facts: Starmount Head Coach Scott Johnson is an Alleghany alum and his alma mater is playing Robbinsville for the 1A West Regional championship. Pretty big week for Alleghany football.

Starmount is one of them teams you always look forward to playing in the playoffs. This should be another epic battle between a good offense and good defense.

Diablo: nchsaa is the one that needs to know that swain is in the mts. and not the foothills(beach)? but we enjoyed the sea-food! and sorry to mt. airy about nchsaa's great selection of swain as a 10th place draw in first round!!!!
mad.r191677.gif

First time posting in so long I forgot my old password. ...been nearly a decade. Way back in college it was closer to watch Campy Walker play with my room mate Dusty Choate and Kevin Ireland at Starmount than to come home to watch Swain. Anybody know where Kevin and Campy are these days?

As for football this is strength on strength with tradition enough that neither has learned to quit. This has the makings of a pretty good game. WouldN'T miss it.

Kevin lives in the area and works at Lowes in Mooresville. Campy is a security guard at Wake Forest University. Dusty lives in Chattanooga,Tennessee and owns Tremont Tavern (restaurant/bar)..

Here's a little history and geography!

Someone up above mentioned Clingman's dome was in Swain County Well, that Clingman fellow was born in Huntsville, a community in southeastern Yadkin County!

I have said for years that this RAM team will take us to a state championship! I am glad the Swain folks are getting to take that long trip this year! Last year I didn't think we were ever going to get to Bryson City...

Go RAMS!

BigDaddyRam
GATA RAMS!

Was at Starmount HS tonight for a basketball game (daughter cheering for the visiting team). Noticed someone down painting the football field so should look nice Friday night. Only the girls games were played so I assume most of the Starmount boys basketball players are on the football team. Good luck to both teams Friday night! Wish I could be there.

Arguing over geography was funny enough with the coastal posters, it's even funnier when all of them either live in or around the mountains.
laugh.r191677.gif

I know what mean Bigdaddyram. I've driven to Elkin & Mt. Airy several times. Not that long of a drive, but on 40 it seems endless.

As far as players, who should we watch out for from Starmount?

A lot of our kids play both ways and we do use a lot of kids at the skill positions.

OFFENSE
11 - John Johnson - RB - 116 - 1,315 rushing yds - 23 TDS
4 - Zach Freed - QB - 162 - 635 rushing yds - 17 TDS
21 - Trey Lomax - RB - 43 - 565 rushing yds - 6 TDS
24 - Trey Bryant - FB - 66 - 395 rushing yds - 1 TD
17 - Sawyer Davis - FB - 71 - 350 rushing yds - 3 TDS
23 - Brandon Prescott - RB - 35 - 349 rushing yds - 6 TDS
25 - Ken Kelly - RB - 47 - 331 - rushing yds - 3 TDS
55 - Garrett Stokes - C
65 - Josh Houser - OL

DEFENSE
65 - Josh Houser - DL - 120 tackles, 33 TFL, 12 sacks
55 - Garrett Stokes - DL - 90 tackles
24 - Trey Bryant - DL - 100 tackles, 14 sacks
17 - Sawyer Davis - LB - 135 tackles
25 - Ken Kelly - LB
4 - Zach Freed - DB - 6 INTS
32 - Austin Holcomb - DB - 7 INTS (been hurt since Alleghany game with knee)

SPECIAL TEAMS

7 - Nick Gunnell - 60 PATS - 6 FGS - 78 points

Swain is goin to run all over starmount. Their defensive line is too weak. especially their other end besides that bryant boy. i think #5. whoever you are we are going to run it down your throat.

Im am just being sarcastic in my last post, starmount is going to run right over swain. Walker pardue #3, is the best WR an DB in north carolina. The best ive seen in a long time.
Go Rams

Starmount is playing their best football right now, and its going to be hard to stop them. I dont care how many of them come down the mountain, they are going to take a beaten.
This post was edited on 12/3 12:30 PM by Deana_King

Starmount has a solid defense. The line is stacked with several excellent players, and then a stud middle linebacker that will DESTROY YOU!

You Swain fans look at guru3 post history, you will see he doesn't represent Ram fans at all.
smile.r191677.gif

Well there guru3 nice one sided conversation your having with all your friends (yourself)... "I don't care how many of them come down the mountain,"... really dude your a flipping bigot... and you will soon care cause their bringing some more ole boys with them so you keep tooting that little horn son, you may be getting your tune to loud
This post was edited on 12/3 12:30 PM by Deana_King

Come on now guru!! You don't need to be posting stuff like this especially if you are a player, Coach Johnson will not be happy about this at all!!

Originally posted by football_guru3:
Starmount is playing their best football right now, and its going to be hard to stop them. I dont care how many of them indians come down the mountain, they are going to take a beaten.
Hmmm.... since about 60 to 70% of the Far Mountain population has some Native American blood this could be one post that boarders on racism. But down from these hills many shall come for Swain too is playing their best ball of the season. And need ye be reminded of last season's outcome?

Now back to topic, this is gonna be one tough game for the winner. I still see this one as the type of game were two groups of young men are trying to force their wills on the other. Turnovers will be paramount in this one. Mark my words on that.

Just a kid that doesn't know any better. Ram fans are not like that at all. Guru, you do realize Swain wiped the floor with us last year.

I do not appreciate the racist posts on my boards either. You keep posting stuff like that and you won't be on here long.

Those are some great stats Deana. It seems like everybody likes to get in on the action on defense and your corners do a great job with the turnovers. It will be interesting to see how they do against our WRs. They are great at attacking the ball at its highest point.

Originally posted by football_guru3:
Swain is goin to run all over starmount. Their defensive line is too weak. especially their other end besides that bryant boy. i think #5. whoever you are we are going to run it down your throat.
Nothing will be easy with Starmount. Indians.... really dude?????

This post was edited on 12/3 3:18 PM by Kazuma

I think guru is skipping class and got himself a Preps account. If you are a palyer, you are in for a rude awakening. Enjoy
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT