ADVERTISEMENT

week 2 scores

About 3 years ago, Watauga approached Mitchell about playing and Mitchell refused. Personally would have thought it would be an entertaining game.
This may be true and not saying it's not, but I haven't been able to to find anything to collaborate it. I've asked some guys that are associated with Mitchell county football and they have never heard of Watauga asking to play Mitchell and said if they did it must have been a scheduling issue because they all like the idea that's why Mitchell did get games for the middle school team to play Watauga. Personally myself and everyone I've talked to thinks it's a good match close in distance good competition and even if you lose no shame losing to a really good larger school.
Also found out another reason Mitchell agreed to play Cannon when they asked is that the Cannon couch and Mitchell coach played football together in college and are good friends.

Which mountain team in 1aa will have the best chance to knockoff East Surry. There want be a team in this area within 4 scores.

Which mountain team in 1aa will have the best chance to knockoff East Surry. There want be a team in this area within 4 scores.
I’d be very careful overlooking Swain, their program and championships posted at the field speaks for itself. Good teams win games their supposed to and championship teams win games they have no chance in. Just my thoughts. Swain co has made “ a living” in games like that. Just my thoughts. Go Knights

Not a East Surry fan but will probably go watch a few of their games. This maybe their most talented team ever.

I’d be very careful overlooking Swain, their program and championships posted at the field speaks for itself. Good teams win games their supposed to and championship teams win games they have no chance in. Just my thoughts. Swain co has made “ a living” in games like that. Just my thoughts. Go Knights
Swain has won a few championships on guts alone. They were good in 2011, but Mitchell should have beat them in the 3rd round, West Montgomery should have beat them in the 4th round, and Ayden Grifton should have won the state championship. I learned a long time ago never over look a Swain team in the playoffs. You will regret it.

Not a mountain team that can play this year with East ! Starmount team returned close to what they had last season ,and I felt they would put up maybe 21 , but I was way wrong ,love it or hate it ,this east Surry defense was lights out , did notice East defense was playing a couple guy from offensive unit also ,this looked to have shut out any chance on the corners ,only think Mitchell team would give them a game for a half .

Not a mountain team that can play this year with East ! Starmount team returned close to what they had last season ,and I felt they would put up maybe 21 , but I was way wrong ,love it or hate it ,this east Surry defense was lights out , did notice East defense was playing a couple guy from offensive unit also ,this looked to have shut out any chance on the corners ,only think Mitchell team would give them a game for a half .

East Surry is about to put an 07 Mount Airy or 03/06 Elkin on everyone in the area. This may end up being the best team the area has seen. That's saying something special.

East Surry is about to put an 07 Mount Airy or 03/06 Elkin on everyone in the area. This may end up being the best team the area has seen. That's saying something special.
Hard for them to beat the 2008 Mount Airy team.May come close to matching them. They came close to scoring the most points scored in a season. Scored 845 for and 54 against in a 16 game undefeated season. Blew every team out including all the playoff teams. They are on track so far to a high scoring season but may hit a wall against Reidsville.
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schoo...(mount-airy,nc)/football-fall-08/schedule.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Hard for them to beat the 2008 Mount Airy team.May come close to matching them. The came close to scoring the most points scored in a season. Scored 845 for and 54 against in a 16 game undefeated season. Blew every team out including all the playoff teams. They are on track so far to a high scoring season but may hit a wall against Reidsville.
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schoo...(mount-airy,nc)/football-fall-08/schedule.htm

2008 is what I meant instead of 07. Thanks for the correction. Years get mixed up that far back.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Seriously dude, you need to tone it down a little. Everyone in the West would love to see the 1aa trophy come back from the east, but keep running the mouth and you'll have everyone and their brother rooting for Tarboro. Just enjoy your season, be proud of your cardinals, but cut the shit talk out. You sound foolish man.

Hard for them to beat the 2008 Mount Airy team.May come close to matching them. They came close to scoring the most points scored in a season. Scored 845 for and 54 against in a 16 game undefeated season. Blew every team out including all the playoff teams. They are on track so far to a high scoring season but may hit a wall against Reidsville.
The 2008 MA Team was a beast. Their schedule didn’t include any major challenges until the small 1A championship game, but they absolutely dominated everyone they faced. I would have loved to seen them play a Tarboro, Reidsville, Thomasville, Wallace-Rose Hill from 2008 just to see how they compared to the better 1AA or 2A competition. Regardless, they were awesome to watch.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
The 2008 MA Team was a beast. Their schedule didn’t include any major challenges until the small 1A championship game, but they absolutely dominated everyone they faced. I would have loved to seen them play a Tarboro, Reidsville, Thomasville, Wallace-Rose Hill from 2008 just to see how they compared to the better 1AA or 2A competition. Regardless, they were awesome to watch.
Starmount was 2A in 2008 and lost to the western champions Newton-Conover 52 -6 & lost to Mount Airy 51-7 . Newton-Conover beat Tarboro 51-28 for the state Championship, So in beating Starmount that bad Mount Airy did beat a rather strong 2A school as bad as the 2A state champion. Of coarse Starmount and Mount Airy probably got better after that first game of the season.

2008 MA was awesome ,East has an awesome team ,still early in the season ,but watching the defense earlier ,there were some issues ,but I think putting gosnell and another player both ways really changed that .I think the Starmount team was gonna be a little trouble early ,but whatever changes they made before that game really shocked everyone ,a running clock on a Starmount team does not happen a lot .A long way to go to compare to 2008 bears ,but they could be the team .I would like to say t Mitchell montie how bout u tone it down ,sick of hearing about your mountain teams past ,this is this year we are talking about now ,,so do disrespect other people talking or loving their team ,you are the fool and yes that 2008 Bear Team would have destroyed any mountain team you have had .

I'm not sure Mt Airy in 2008 played any team like Reidsville. Reidsville is probably second best team in 2a behind Shelby so if the Cards win or play them close it will mean a lot. Hope to go to that game.

Last edited:
This year's Mitchell team is fo real. They are so good, no other 1a team can touch them. Everyone sick of hearing bout weak ass northwest teams. Mitchell has 5 linemen that run the 40 in 4.4 or faster. This team would have beat any of the Albemarle, Thomasville, Clemson, WRH teams of the past. This defense is on another level. No team in the state could score on them. Y'all just jealous cuz there's a new team winning games. You can't handle it.

yes that 2008 Bear Team would have destroyed any mountain team you have had .
Yeah Im sure they would've just crushed the Murphy team with the Gatorade national player year at wide reciever (All SEC at Tennessee, NFL All Pro with Bengals) two D1 signees in the backfield and two D1 signees on the line (one started for multiple years at NC State and probably would have played in the NFL too if he didn't tear his knee up). Yep, they would've killed that team. LOL

Reactions: Cold Biscuit
Yeah Im sure they would've just crushed the Murphy team with the Gatorade national player year at wide reciever (All SEC at Tennessee, NFL All Pro with Bengals) two D1 signees in the backfield and two D1 signees on the line (one started for multiple years at NC State and probably would have played in the NFL too if he didn't tear his knee up). Yep, they would've killed that team. LOL
3rd RD 2008 27-20, East Bladed SC

Mbdfan, you know darn good and well that the 2012/13 Mitchell teams would have embarrassed the 87 Bulldogs. And the 76 knights. And the 08 bears. And any other weak mountain team. You just don't want to face facts.

Reactions: mbdfan
Made that post after looking up 2008. Thought you would figure out what I was posting.

Still a lot of time left in this season to see where teams match up when comparing the best ever from our area. The 1998 Starmount, 2003 Elkin, 2008 Mt Airy, and the 2011 West Stokes teams were all pretty special. I got the opportunity to go to Pilot last Friday and watch the cards play Starmount.
My take on this 2019 Card team is this; they are very explosive offensively and have multiple weapons besides the ones who get all the press, they are very aggressive and nasty up front as well. Defensively, they flew to the ball, were very fast and played multiple guys on defense who are mainly offensive players in key situations. Their defensive line and linebackers were all over the field and shut Starmount down running the football. Their secondary was very athletic and had great speed. Special teams were very solid as well. When I left the game I was very impressed. There where a lot of moments in the game that I just shook my head when I saw how they dominated a quality opponent in every phase of the game. I plan to make the trip over to Reidsville in a couple of weeks. Hoping for a good game. I plan to take in the MA/Elkin game this week in what I think will be the best game in our area. Good luck to all teams and hope the hurricane don’t affect things.

Last edited:
Swain has won a few championships on guts alone. They were good in 2011, but Mitchell should have beat them in the 3rd round, West Montgomery should have beat them in the 4th round, and Ayden Grifton should have won the state championship. I learned a long time ago never over look a Swain team in the playoffs. You will regret it.
I feel like Swain was the better team out of the 3 you listed above but I understand your statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT