ADVERTISEMENT

Weddington at Asheville Round 3

We almost doubled up Weddington in total yardage and still found a way to lose. Unbelievable.

Again, yes we shot ourselves in the foot many, many times. But they beat us by 5 points. When the game film comes out you'll see that we actually won the game by 2 points. Green was at least three feet over the goal line on that last touchdown attempt on fourth down.

And yeah, 119 yards in penalties on us but only 2 flags on Weddington. Sure, that sounds legit.

If you double up the other team in yardage you should win the game.
However, when you have 119 yards in penalties and the other team has 15, that seems a little sketchy to me.

An 80 yard td was called back on Asheville on a holding call by the tight end who was running a pass route! What unusual to me about this is that we weren't a very penalized team all season long. Its not like we were averaging 80 yards a game in penalties and then to inexplicably have 119 yards is just odd to me. Should we have won. Yes. But the refs did have an effect on this game and when you lose by 5 on some controversial plays, you could make a case that they could have had a hand in the outcome. This tape should be sent to Raleigh for sure. Coach Wilkins has probably had 5 flags thrown on him in 15 years and he had one tonight and kudos to him for not getting more.

I gotta say that this one surprised me. But that penalty count tells a big story

Just saw the replay on T.V. Paulk definitely caught that pass in bounds that was ruled out of bounds on third down early in the third quarter. Also looked like Green probably got in on 3rd and goal.

Sounds like a lot of butt hurt up in the mountains. Congrats to Weddington. Hope you guys will be joining my Rams in Raleigh. As for Asheville, don't commit 119 yards in penalties and you are still playing. The losing team always resorts to blaming the refs and it makes you look a fool.

Well they did deny us a td. Had it confirmed this morning that Green was definitely in the end zone on the third and goal. Wasn't even close.

Biggest play of the game.... Salters goes out for ONE play. Fumbled exchange on the handoff and a scoop and score for Weddington. You could feel the air go out of that place.

I agree, but when it comes down to it, we had our chances to win that game, after the safety we get good field possession on they 40 and do nothing with it, also got the ball back with 2 mins left. 119 yds in flags, 2 tds taken from us and 2 fumbles. We had our chance, we need to convert but didn't. Hats off to weddington. Until next season boys

Originally posted by Ramnasty:
Sounds like a lot of butt hurt up in the mountains. Congrats to Weddington. Hope you guys will be joining my Rams in Raleigh. As for Asheville, don't commit 119 yards in penalties and you are still playing. The losing team always resorts to blaming the refs and it makes you look a fool.
We had our chances to win the game. We should have won the game. However, when the refs take 2 touchdowns off the board, one to tie the game at 28 it causes some outrage that can be called "butt hurt" from an outsider who wasn't at the game. Typically when refs are flag happy it effects both teams, last night we had over 100 yards in penalties more than Weddington. I find it unfathomable that a high school team that throws 15-20 times gets 15 yards in penalties in the entire game. The penalties were bad for Asheville last night, but there were 2 calls that the video will show were called incorrectly that I believe effected the outcome. Alex Paulk had a long catch down our sideline very late in the game that was ruled out of bounds when he wasn't out of bounds. I know this because the Cougar Sports broadcast has the video of it and he is clearly in bounds. You expect refs at this juncture of the season to be able to make calls and this guy flat out missed it and it wasn't a difficult call. Also the goal line stand that was late in the game. The 4th down play from the 1 yard line Green didn't appear to get in, but the 3rd down play from the 2 yard line he was in. As a matter of fact his entire upper body was in and his knees never even touched the ground because he was on the pile…This play too is evident by watching it on video. It would be one thing if we were bitching based on speculation about stuff you can't see, but you can see it with you own eyes over and over. It hurts to lose and every team in NC is gonna feel the same way except 8 teams out of 400 but the refs were subpar last night and I think what pisses alot of the asheville faithful off, is the ref on our sideline called most of Ashevilles 119 penalty yards.

This post was edited on 11/29 11:17 AM by AhsCougar1

It's going to take a while to get over this one. You would be hard pressed to find another program in NC the last 12-13 years with more heartbreaking, close losses in the playoffs than Asheville.

People can say we're "butt hurt" all they want. Doesn't really matter at this point.

You can't deny the facts though. We put up 3 times as many yards on offense as Weddington did. We had 2 fumbles, but they threw 2 interceptions. We had dropped passes, and so did they.

At the end of the day the BS penalties and called back touchdowns were what made the difference. I don't care if God is coaching the team and Jesus is calling in the plays from the booth. There is no way whatsoever that Weddington realistically finishes that game with only 15 yards in penalties. That just doesn't happen.

Crest had a pair of refs like that in the 2nd round...worst refs we've had all year

I haven't seen the ratio of penalties between Crest and West Rowan but I swear, we must have doubled the amount of yardage versus WR

IMO you can fine something wrong on just about every play...Holding comes to mind...We know that holding probably occurs on just about every play...it's just whether the ref A. sees it; and B. chooses to call it.

I do believe in biased refs...I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but to human is to error, therefore, to believe all refs are fair is to be naïve.

I believe we should trade refs from SC or in Asheville's case TN from time to time...especially in the playoffs.

Hey thanks for that 91. It's all part of life. These boys will rebound and rebuild and get ready for next year. Hopefully you guys or South Point will bring back a ring for the west. Good luck to you. I'll be lurking around and sending ya'll good mojo.

Couldn't go the game, I was in ATL all week, but I heard through facebook how the refs pretty much screwed over aville, they said Christian Green was over the goal line on that third & goal play, it has to suck worst for the seniors to have their high school careers end because of the BS calls from the refs. So sick of going through these heart breakers as an Asheville fan.

This post was edited on 11/29 10:26 PM by Fadeca

I am trying to upload the picture of Christian Green a yard over the goal line that would have tied it at 28-28 in the 4th quarter but it won't let me. A clear touchdown that wasn't called. I'll keep trying.

Like Dandy Don would sing on MNF," It's all over but the crying". I think I've sung that one myself a few times and if you remember that tune then you have too.
wink.r191677.gif

You want some cheese with that wine 90? Should not have went after me when the refs screwed Erwin.

Congrats to Weddington. No respect being shown here but all the whining in the world will not change the outcome of the game. Hope you guys join us in Raleigh next week.

You want some cheese with that wine 90? Should not have went after me when the refs screwed Erwin.

I never said one negative word about Erwin or you when they got screwed by the refs. My comments were too you and you alone when you said you didn't respect our coaches or players. Get your facts straight. As a matter of fact, I even took up for you guys talking about Mickey. You're just a d!ck, plain and simple.

Yes the pic shows him in....but the pic doesn't show what happened prior to that frame. Did his knee, elbow, or other body part hit first? Lots of TD's in college and pros alike are called down prior to crossing the goal line even though the runner is laying across the line. Just saying, I wish Asheville had won, I was pulling for them but this pic isn't proof.

Ok I've read enough I had to sign up and reply.

First of all , I have a lot of respect for the Asheville program. The stadium is awesome, hell you got banners on the scoreboard from 1922 !! Weddington hasn't even been open for 15 years. You have a good football team it was a close game as we all expected and we expected to win as I'm sure ya'll did. I'm sure all of ya'll are tired of hearing that mountain teams are slow and un-athletic. Well if you noticed there's not much difference in the make up of our teams. In fact Asheville may be more "athletic". We are in the suburbs of Charlotte and hear that same crap every week ! In fact for years in youth sports and up.We have learned to make up for what we don't have.

First want to address the guy that said we were cocky clapping and talking after every play. You definitely see things one way.
I saw a plenty of that both ways (go back and watch so will you ) . Like I said we have to deal with that every week we don't back down and it doesn't bother us. Maybe ya'll are used to teams backing down ?

The penalties I went back and maybe missed some but you had 3 offsides on -O and 4 on D pretty obvious. 1 hold on 2nd series of game(obvious tackled the dl) that's it. Also 2 Block in the backs…they were obvious ! There was also 1 pass interference. The td that got called back was a "block in the back " by the TE it wasn't questionable he shoved the db on the ground from behind. It didn't matter ya'll scored a td on that drive anyway .

The "late bad call" on the pass that was ruled incomplete . Was really your 2nd pos of the 2nd half. At the game , that was on the other side of the field , so I don't know if he was in or not but I did see our db's hand in there and the ball fly across the track. I don't know . Your coach got a flag and really is lucky he didn't get another and tossed the way he carried on. That call really didn't hurt you punted we threw you an int and you scored in a few plays.

The td that wasn't . The rb hit the ground (chest and ball) and then scooted in the end zone . Nice picture but it doesn't show the play. He was down where it was spotted. A power I team with 2 tries from the 1 should be able to score without question !!

You got a safety and then couldn't do anything . Ballgame.

We are not great but if you are going to line up and run 75-80 % you are doing us a favor. You have to make good teams defend the whole field . We are a very balanced team we have to run and pass they set each other up. As far as no holding calls on us ..well they way our line blocked , they needed to hold some . Your d line lived in our back field. There is always holding but I didn't see any obvious. There was only 1 holding call all night between both teams ?

We did not look real sharp on offense in the game but that's what happens when you play good teams. To be honest, the flags ya'll got , for this time of year was for mostly stupid stuff…undisciplined play. Refs are always part of the game

You can say that you are better, probably more talented, but you have to execute and scheme a little better. We don't pass the "eye test" never have, but we are a pretty good football team.
We have beaten you at home ( cold as hell to us) 2 years in a row, we respect Asheville and think you have a good football program and team.

We have never been this far ! We are moving on.

This post was edited on 12/2 5:39 AM by onioncfb.1

Originally posted by onioncfb.1:
Ok I've read enough I had to sign up and reply.

First of all , I have a lot of respect for the Asheville program. The stadium is awesome, hell you got banners on the scoreboard from 1922 !! Weddington hasn't even been open for 15 years. You have a good football team it was a close game as we all expected and we expected to win as I'm sure ya'll did. I'm sure all of ya'll are tired of hearing that mountain teams are slow and un-athletic. Well if you noticed there's not much difference in the make up of our teams. In fact Asheville may be more "athletic". We are in the suburbs of Charlotte and hear that same crap every week ! In fact for years in youth sports and up.We have learned to make up for what we don't have.

First want to address the guy that said we were cocky clapping and talking after every play. You definitely see things one way.
I saw a plenty of that both ways (go back and watch so will you ) . Like I said we have to deal with that every week we don't back down and it doesn't bother us. Maybe ya'll are used to teams backing down ?

The penalties I went back and maybe missed some but you had 3 offsides on -O and 3 on D pretty obvious. 1 hold on 2nd series of game(obvious tackled the dl) that's it. Also 2 Block in the backs…they were obvious ! The td that got called back was a "block in the back " by the TE it wasn't questionable he shoved the db on the ground from behind. It didn't matter ya'll scored a td on that drive anyway .

The "late bad call" on the pass that was ruled incomplete . Was really your 2nd pos of the 2nd half. At the game , that was on the other side of the field , so I don't know if he was in or not but I did see our db's hand in there and the ball fly across the track. I don't know . Your coach got a flag and really is lucky he didn't get another and tossed the way he carried on. That call really didn't hurt you punted we threw you an int and you scored in a few plays.

The td that wasn't . The rb hit the ground (chest and ball) and then scooted in the end zone . Nice picture but it doesn't show the play. He was down where it was spotted. A power I team with 2 tries from the 1 should be able to score without question !!

You got a safety and then couldn't do anything . Ballgame.

We are not great but if you are going to line up and run 75-80 % you are doing us a favor. You have to make good teams defend the whole field . We are a very balanced team we have to run and pass they set each other up. As far as no holding calls on us ..well they way our line blocked , they needed to hold some . Your d line lived in our back field. There is always holding but I didn't see any obvious. There was only 1 holding call all night between both teams ?

We did not look real sharp on offense in the game but that's what happens when you play good teams. To be honest, the flags ya'll got , for this time of year was for mostly stupid stuff…undisciplined play. Refs are always part of the game

You can say that you are better, probably more talented, but you have to execute and scheme a little better. We don't pass the "eye test" never have, but we are a pretty good football team.
We have beaten you at home ( cold as hell to us) 2 years in a row, we respect Asheville and think you have a good football program and team.

We have never been this far ! We are moving on.
nice post. Fair enough.

Onioncfb.1,

Can't say I agree with everything you said, but congratulations on the win. You guys have come into our house and beaten us twice. I respect that. Good luck this Friday night, and I mean that.

You have some valid points Onion. I do disagree on several things though. No doubt some of our penalties were warranted. But for Weddington to have only 15 yards is fishy. Our D-line and outside linebackers were quicker than your O line and there were several obvious holding calls missed on passing plays. Also on several of the off-sides, what Weddington does to draw the D is illegal. The QB was flashing his hands and stepping towards the line of scrimmage, you cannot simmulate the snap. If his hands were already in the air and he said "go" it would be legal. And last, I don't think you can talk about scheme when we almost doubled your offensive output. Anyway, like you said it is water under the bridge and doesn't matter now. Weddington is a very good team, and good luck this week, hope you get revenge against Cuthbertson.

i watched the game friday n the game i watched was very close asheville had every opportunity to win the game at this time of year the best team doesnt always win but weddington stood up n took the game imo hats off to both teams though both are very good but as a reynolds supporter id love to know which game the erwin guy was watching that he says they got screwed in look at the films so if u want to blame the refs have at it good luck to weddington this week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT