ADVERTISEMENT

Weddington 27 Butler 19

mpj2k8

Sep 12, 2009
Butler had a chance with 5 minutes left 24-19 and driving but penalties killed them. Lawerence missed most of the 2nd half due to injury.

I think Weddington took their foot off the gas once it was 24-0. What threw them off is the back up QB is a running threat which they didn’t prepare for so the offense was giving them fits and once they sold out for the run he was able to hit a deep td pass. Lawerence got hurt mainly because the offense was pretty easy to defend with that front four. He passed most of the time he was in so eventually he would get hurt.

0-4 but not sure what to make of the team if Lawrence is out. If he is fine then I think they should finish second in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: onioncfb
The tale of 2 halves….. Weddington should have put up 35 in the first half. After 24 they quit but Butler didn’t. Butler figured out the Weddington run and could have won this game. Looks like they are figuring things out. They will be ok. Impressed at the way they fought back.

Butler had a chance with 5 minutes left 24-19 and driving but penalties killed them. Lawerence missed most of the 2nd half due to injury.

I think Weddington took their foot off the gas once it was 24-0. What threw them off is the back up QB is a running threat which they didn’t prepare for so the offense was giving them fits and once they sold out for the run he was able to hit a deep td pass. Lawerence got hurt mainly because the offense was pretty easy to defend with that front four. He passed most of the time he was in so eventually he would get hurt.

0-4 but not sure what to make of the team if Lawrence is out. If he is fine then I think they should finish second in the conference.
Looks like same limp as before week2. Maybe re-injured it? You sit him next week vs Garinger obviously. Then it’s Providence and East meck. Can they win without him against Providence? East meck of course they don’t need him. It’s all about him resting up to get back.

I know the run defense was going to be bad for butler first half when I saw their only decent LB wasn’t playing and was in sweatpants. First half the defense couldn’t stop a damn thing, some of those kids are some of the softest I seen at butler in the schools history. They played with way more passion in the 2nd half and it helped. Too many penalties, and kids that don’t want to hit, so I can’t shit on the defensive coaches, that’s not their fault. The linebackers are limited besides #12 and he didn’t play tonight. They also were missing assignments with the RB being open out of the backfield consistently.

You are what your record says you are, so they are 0-4. Could be wrong but I see them being 5-4 going into the Indy game.

Weddington plays a clean brand of football. I like their style. They don’t have the athletes like some of the old Mallard creek or butler teams but they have 2-3 “un-blockable” kids in the front 7 and then some solid kids who don’t have the best size or athleticism but can tackle, unlike butler who is struggling to wrap up and would rather arm tackle. If you want to beat them you have to play mistake free, but they are definitely beatable.

someone told me to take it easy on butlers defense. Was told they have a couple freshman they have been rotating at Lb on varsity? That makes much more sense as far as physicality.

@mp2k8 have you heard they are super young at some spots? I know they start 3 sophomore/juniors in the secondary.

someone told me to take it easy on butlers defense. Was told they have a couple freshman they have been rotating at Lb on varsity? That makes much more sense as far as physicality.

@mp2k8 have you heard they are super young at some spots? I know they start 3 sophomore/juniors in the secondary.
Yeah I heard the same thing, the defense is young and had to fill in some spots with younger players. I did hear the same thing about the secondary which is amazing considering they don’t get much pressure with their front four at all. Weddington’s QB had time to deliver the ball for sure.

The issue is the offense doesn’t help the defense. With Hales the offense can protect the defense with the running attack with the wing t and different formations. This allowed the defense to rest while the offense did their work. The offense now is a spread offense with four receivers with barely any shifting or motion. Lawerence isn’t a threat to run and they pass 60 percent of the time so the run is easier to defend especially with a talented front seven. When the offense has a few three and outs the defense is gassed and it feels like Butler barely touched the ball.

If you remember the 2013 Butler team, they pretty much was out of the spread no huddle with ARW as a dual threat QB. They had the linemen and QB for it and it worked. The new staff is using a similar scheme but it’s not a fit. If Lawerence is indeed out the backup is a dual threat which does open the running game but definitely losing a lot from the passing game

Butler will be ok. Super Young on defense. Didn't realize they lost so much from last year. Few guys going both ways. They are super young.

I like East Forsyth and Grimsley over Weddington. They are NOT as good as last year.
Defensively Weddington is a handful. Weddington doesn’t have a lot of team speed so that can give them some fits especially if you can block them up front. Its a big if lol.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Butler will be ok. Super Young on defense. Didn't realize they lost so much from last year. Few guys going both ways. They are super young.
If they cleaned up the penalties they had opportunities to win the last couple of games. With Lawerence out (potentially) lets see how the offense adapts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT