ADVERTISEMENT

Weather plan

Feb 3, 2015
With all the weather talk on several threads I thought I would start one where we could talk about the possible outcomes and problems it is causing.

According to max preps brackets only one game in the entire state was played yesterday anyone please post to let us know if that is incorrect and it looks like very few will be played in the next two days. Next I would love to get some coaches, longtime fans, mods, school personnel etc. to post and let us know what has been done in the past and what they think could be a plan the state may use if they have any inside knowledge. I think it is way to much to ask teams to play 3 days in a row if that happens I highly doubt we see the best team win the state championship there are far too many other factors that come into play. Things like long travel days in a row, conditioning (teams should never be expected to be in such good condition to play three days in a row), possibly injuries, and much more I really hope the state has a good plan in place so that we can see good basketball and that we still see great games decided by the best team that night not the factors mentioned above.

This post was edited on 2/25 10:57 AM by yellowjacket25

To Keep the agreements with the venues for the regionals, do you think the NCHSAA will consider compressing the brackets and do away with the first round games. In other words advance the No. 1 thru No. 16 seeds who have not played yet. With the amount of snow forecast for the state tonight, I dont see many teams playing before Saturday at the earliest.

No chance the state dumps the first round games. The more likely scenario is that the regionals get moved (either the date or locations or both).

Originally posted by Dave2kMA:
No chance the state dumps the first round games. The more likely scenario is that the regionals get moved (either the date or locations or both).
Agree that is not an option....

And now the bigger question is how does the NCHSAA handle this logistical nightmare and the fast approaching Regional schedule?....

How hard would it be for the NCHSAA to move the 1A and 2A Regionals to different venues like the Hickory area that is more centrally located for the 1A schools, while leaving the 3A & 4A in Winston-Salem for a friday thru sunday Regional Semifinal and Final setup?

Hickory could host the 1A & 2A under the same schedule setup by using 2 venues?

This would allow teams more scheduling flexibility for the Sectional Playoffs, and would also give teams the necessary rest and practice time that ensures a more competitive playoff game, but more importantly reduces the chances for injury due to the fatigue of playing a playoff schedule that was condensed with little or no rest for the body in between games...

Again, I know these are unusual circumstances, but that also means that there should also be some unsual solutions to ensure the playoffs are fair, competitive and more importantly safe for all fans and teams to travel to and from the different playoff venues!

Just don't know if there are any 1A schools that would have the size to host a Regional Semifinal without turning a bunch of folk away at the door, and Regionals have always been a neutral site location, so don't know how that would work in the "Fair-Competition" department?....

Hopefully, there are some smaller Venues like UNCA's Kimmel Area or the Asheville Civic Center that would have an opening to host a Regional on short notice, or the Hickory area with CVCC, Lenior Rhyne, Hickory High or East Burke?.....Don't know if the NCHSAA is even exploring those options, but it's something that needs serious consideration, based on the forecast.....

No chance they utilize Hickory or Asheville (lol) as regional sites in place of Wake Forest.

The city of Winston-Salem is invested in the event, so the NCHSAA is more likely to utilize some of the 4A facilities in the city as alternate sites if the Joel and/or the Annex are unavailable. Those gyms would be perfectly fine for the smaller classifications where they wouldn't have to worry about turning people away.

Now that might all be a moot point since a quick check of the Joel's schedule shows no other events until March 21st, but I'd bet big money that the regionals will stay in Winston.

This post was edited on 2/25 1:21 PM by Dave2kMA

The 1A/2A move to Hickory would mean that either the boys or girls would have to play next Thursday in one Regional Semi-final at 2 different venues with the boys playing on Friday night.....If the coaches could agree, the Regional finals could be played on that Saturday at 1 venue site which could reduce a conflict with one of the two chosen venues, around Hickory? Both boy Regional Final games could start after the 1A/2A Western Regional Final Girls' games, are completed....Of course, that would mean that the boy's teams would get No break after the friday night Semi-final games, but that has always been the case for some teams thru the years at the Regionals because there is generally a Regional Semi-final every year on friday night that has been rotated between the 4 classes?

Be interesting to see what the NCHSAA chooses to do?

No chance they utilize Hickory or Asheville (lol) as regional sites in place of Wake Forest.

The city of Winston-Salem is invested in the event, so the NCHSAA is more likely to utilize some of the 4A facilities in the city as alternate sites if the Joel and/or the Annex are unavailable. Those gyms would be perfectly fine for the smaller classifications where they wouldn't have to worry about turning people away.

Now that might all be a moot point since a quick check of the Joel's schedule shows no other events until March 21st, but I'd bet big money that the regionals will stay in Winston.

This post was edited on 2/25 1:21 PM by Dave2kMA
That might be Dave, but it don't mean that I can lobby for it!....lol!

How I miss Lenoir-Rhyne? I played my last high school basketball game in that gym against Bunker Hill in the 1989 2A playoffs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The complex in fay does not even list the eastern regional tournament. Says they have circus 2/26 - 3/1 and hockey 3/8.

Deanna_King...I agree 100%. I played in Regionals there for 2 of my last high school years. The atmosphere was always unreal and a perfect venue for high school sports. I'm assuming you played girls and played against a very good Bunker Hill team led by Kelly Morrison who was better than most guys. I wish we could go back to that venue as well.

this is why they should go to 2-2-2 weeks so plenty of wiggle room for the snow. heck at the last two you could have a final four at a site for the state. let the final four get reseeded and go with a east and west mix. that be fun

This just in!!! Breaking news!!!!!!! Playoffs may be cancelled due to lack of interest. Strong consideration being put into moving basketball to the spring so no games will have to be played within a week of snow fall or freezing temps. LMAO

no I mean instead of the 3-2-1 model they use ..... use a 2-2-2 model... and keep girls and boys off the same nights unless snow

Cherokee has the venue and will GLADLY host the Western Regionals!!

The Smoky Mountain should have their turn for the 1A AllStar games in Cherokee in 2016. The West and Midwest alternate locations each year. It is in Cherryville this year on March 21, 2015. Here is a link naming the Midwest players found in the Gaston Gazette:

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/high-school/gaston-basketball-players-headed-to-all-star-game-1.441133

REGIONALS

The Eastern Regional Tournament Committee will meet tomorrow to discuss options for next week's schedule. Last year, they did not play on Tuesday due to inclement weather. Instead they played a 5:30 game at both venues on Wednesday and Thursday to get the schedule caught up. That would again be an option if only one day is lost. If Tuesday and Wednesday are lost, I think playing at Fayetteville State or Methodist University might be considered. I don't know if the contract with the Crown would allow for moving the games. That might be an issue in Winston-Salem as well.

Personally, I think the NCHSAA will do all they can to avoid playing on Sunday. Sunday would not be an option in the Crown Coliseum as there's a hockey game on March 8th. The Fireantz are the primary tenant in the Coliseum. The Arena would be available if needed on that day.

There are a small handful of games being played in the East tonight.

Originally posted by ThePolkNation:
no I mean instead of the 3-2-1 model they use ..... use a 2-2-2 model... and keep girls and boys off the same nights unless snow
That goes in the opposite direction of what schools want in some form. We have written other thoughts on another thread about this.

Schools and the NCHSAA are interested in the regional semi-final being played at a neutral site that is geographically situated near to each of the two participants. Only the regional final would be played at a set venue, such as Winston Salem Or Hickory. I agree Hickory was the best spot for the regionals. Even going to Hickory I prefer the semi-final be an option to the schools involved. Remember years were Charlotte had six of the eight 4A teams in boys and girls but traveling to Forsyth County. Not so logistically or economically smart.

Going to two teams for the state title in a tournament format is a return to pre 1981 when the regionals came into play replacing the eight sectional winners going directly to a state three round tournament. Not as good a deal for the teams or fans. Imagine Murphy playing three games in Raleigh between Wednesday and Saturday.

What we have now with the regional format is the way to go but needs tweaking on the regional semi-final games and then the site of the western regional final.

Yes Trojangreen. We had just beaten Newton-Conover with Mickie Drum then had to play the Bears. There was another girl that was really good for them. I can't remember her name, but she got injured early when she hit the door on a play. She came back to help them best us. Another player was Tomiko Finger.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Mickie Drum was quite the athlete. But her contributions to basketball did not end in college. She coached many local AAU teams in Newton and even coached my daughter in recreation ball. Mickie is a solid coaching talent and works well with the youth. I think the AAU teams she coached were called the Newton Flames.

Is there a single area in the state that has a chance of playing tonight. It is definetly not in Sparta. I do have hopes for tomorrow here though based on how quickly it seems to be melting.

Wildcat,

You should have a good drive with most of it being the Interstate.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

Is there a single area in the state that has a chance of playing tonight. It is definitely not in Sparta. I do have hopes for tomorrow here though based on how quickly it seems to be melting.
I know of five games being played in southeastern NC tonight.

Lumberton @ EE Smith (4A Boys)
South View @ New Hanover (4A Boys)

Farmville Central @ Red Springs (1A Girls)
Jones Senior @ Whiteville (1A Girls)

East Carteret @ East Columbus (1A Girls)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT