ADVERTISEMENT

We seem to have lost our momentum

Alleghany84

Feb 22, 2011
This has been a very active board during this basketball season, but now that we are approaching crunch time, the discussion seems to have went away. I realize that some posters are more active at times than they are at other times, but with 2 weeks left in the regular season, and nearly every Western conference championship still up for grabs, I might have thought there would be more arguing going on. I know based on previous posts that BK has been required to take an extended vacation and now Mont might have to be gone a little more than he was, but what about the rest of us. By the way just kidding (BK and Mont) I enjoy your contributions to the discussion.

The only way those of us in the Mountain Valley can keep up with the SMC and the YVC is through the opinions on this board, and I am sure the same is true for you guys. There must be something to discuss. Heck if nothing else we can re-hash the differences in SMC refs and non SMC refs LOL.

It's crazy. lol.

If you guys have a chance, go see Harry Giles of Wesleyan Christian. I went last Friday at Forsyth Country Day. Kid is going to be a superstar. Check the video out on the front page of the highlights.

Speaking of refs...

I think cavalier17 made an interesting comment on another thread about smoky mountain officials calling the hand check and asheville officials not calling it. I agree with him on the games I have seen. It seems more noticeable that officials for games in the Southern Piedmont, SMAC, Big Smoky and LIttle Smoky have made an effort to enforce the points of emphasis with hand checking. Officials in the MAC, WHC, and WNCAC seem to let more of that go. Is this a reflection on booking agents and their points of emphasis or why does there seem to be a clear difference from one group to the next even though they are all using the same rules and have been to the same clinics over the summer?

Since I can remember the SMC has always been a very quick whistle group. They love to hear the whistle blown and there is plenty of games that 40 to 50 free throws are shot. not to say it is wrong or right. I have noticed that it seems to really effect (SMC teams) when they get to regionals and the games are called totally different. From listening to everyone talk it pretty odd that each regional group calls things diff and tighter or looser.

This post was edited on 2/3 1:49 PM by ThePolkNation

When we played in the SMC it was always a foul shooting war, everyone was in foul trouble most games. The WHC is much more free flowing with less fouls. not saying all games just most. When we was in the cherryville, bess city conference it was a balance of both.

I think that the differences we see are based on the clinic leaders, and the respected officials among each clinic. It depends on how vigourously they follow the new rule. As an official, you will adjust to the officials that you are working with. In the MVC, we certainly get our share of the hands calls as well. I was a bit amazed when we played Avery in the Regionals last year that it was allowed to be as physical as it was, compared to what we had saw during the regular season. However, with that said, I think the deeper that you go in the playoffs, the more the officials will allow you to play. They use the phrase that they don't want to determine the outcome of the game, but I always figure that if you don't call a foul that is a foul you are determining the outcome that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT