ADVERTISEMENT

Way-too-Early SMC 2020 Predictions

GreyGod623

Nov 24, 2012
2020 may be the most interesting season in recent memory. There will be more depth and many quality players.

1:. Murphy - Refuse to pick against my Dogs. There is potential for the most talented team since 2010. Big, strong lines and speed at the skill positions. Biggest question:. Depth.

2:. Robbinsville:. Defending Champions, well-deserved. Lost some big time players, but bring back a lot too. #1 and #2 could flip, especially with Knights having home -field for THE GAME.

3:. Andrews:. Best Andrews team maybe in 20 years or more. Plenty of athletes.

4:. Hayesville:. Improved team last couple of years. If they can avoid injuries, they'll be a headache for anyone.

5:. Swain:. My controversial pick. Lost more than anyone to graduation and lost best returning player to transfer. Where will offense come from? Who replaces those lineman and linebackers?

6:. Cherokee:. Probably a one win season, but one more than Rosman.

7:. Rosman:. New coach has some work to do. Biggest task, get the kids out to play. If he gets their numbers up, then he can move around the X's and the O's.

GOOD LUCK to all in the off-season.

Murphy's final position may depend in part on whether a few kids who can make a difference decide to play next year after not playing this season. Murphy was hurt bad this year with injuries, suspensions, etc. especially so because there was a serious lack of depth to cover for it. 'Dogs should have more depth next season just about everywhere with a fairly big rising sophomore class coming up and a small senior class graduating but they really can't afford to lose any potential key contributors to quitting like they have the last two years or the added numbers won't mean much. There's the wild card of a possible transfer as well (that would make a difference if he comes in) but you can't count on those things happening. Flip side is there's a current player who is supposedly very likely to transfer out at the end of the school year. Hopefully he and his family reconsider because I believe he can achieve the same goals at Murphy.

Next year's results will also depend on the mentality of the team as a whole. I really didn't like the response after that first Robbinsville loss, it was obvious some players were not "all in" mentally after that game, that's alarming. Robbinsville just wanted it more in that second game and it showed. One hopes an additional year of maturity, for what was a young team, will help in that regard.

Murphy will be a year older, deeper and should have more speed to work with next season. There's plenty of talent but there's also some big questions. Bottomline the offense will have to be more explosive and diverse next season to achieve their goals, some of these talented underclassmen are going to have to step up and show they're ready for more responsibility and give the coaches the faith in them that they can handle a bigger load, both mentally and physically. Plus there's health, you never know when you're going to have good luck with injuries and when you're not, it's a huge factor at the 1A level where one or two injuries can essentially end a season.

Last edited:
Can’t really argue with those picks. Like you said 1 and 2 has the potential to flip. Just feels like there is more questions marks with Robbinsville at this time. It’s been the Anderson show so long who do they have to really take all the attention off of Hopper next year.

Just my opinion,but I feel like Robbinsville has the fewest question marks going forward..We have the best QB and Running Back in the conference returning.,We have most of our offensive and defensive lines returning, We have a starting WR returning..And also return one of our most dangerous weapons, the top kicker in the SMC.
If anyone watched the State Championship game,you saw a stud blocking fullback that will be back. 2 awesome linebackers and a monster defensive end returning..not to mention a JV team that was very talented moving up....If our stud JV running back contributes like most think he will,look out..It will definitely be the Robbinsville Murphy show in the SMC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT