4. Holmes
5. Mitchell
6. Robbinsville
7. Swain
8. Mtn. Island Charter
9. Mount Airy
10. Thomas Jefferson Academy

Let's see your poll.

North Stanly will be in the top ten, no doubt.

Top ten of what? They lose 17 seniors and the recruiting trail has dried up. Who wants to play for a team that can't get out of it's own way. Nothing has been proven more over the last 4 years than North Stanly has loads of talent and ZERO coaching. North Stanly is back to being Homecoming opponents. Remember the one statistic that matters most. Four playoff wins in 57 years.

Top ten of what? They lose 17 seniors and the recruiting trail has dried up. Who wants to play for a team that can't get out of it's own way. Nothing has been proven more over the last 4 years than North Stanly has loads of talent and ZERO coaching. North Stanly is back to being Homecoming opponents. Remember the one statistic that matters most. Four playoff wins in 57 years.

All of North's "recruited" players truly wanted to come play for north. I also heard that north is getting a couple really good athletes from around the county to come and play for them. Whether or not a coach asks a kid to come and play, it is ultimately the kid's decision on if he wants to transfer so don't get mad at the coaching staff if one of your best players wanted to try another shot at a state title.

Reactions: atucker2
1 Tarboro
2 East Surry
3 Mitchell
4 Murphy
5 Robbinsville
6 Swain
7 Holmes
8 Mount Airy
9 North Stanley
10 Thomas Jefferson

Tarboro is #1 until someone proves different. Mitchell returns some very good skill players. Murphy will depend on how long it take their QB to settle in. The SMC should be tight at the top next year.

1 Tarboro
2 East Surry
3 Mitchell
4 Murphy
5 Robbinsville
6 Swain
7 Holmes
8 Mount Airy
9 North Stanley
10 Thomas Jefferson

Tarboro is #1 until someone proves different. Mitchell returns some very good skill players. Murphy will depend on how long it take their QB to settle in. The SMC should be tight at the top next year.

Not trying to argue, honestly want to hear your reasoning. Wouldn't you think Robbinsville is returning more than Murphy and would be favored in the conference? Anderson and Hooper will have big years.

Murphy loses their QB and McTaggert/Allen/Roberts in backfield. I know they'll play the JV QB as a tenth grader (how long will it take him to develop?) but how will they replace those three in the backfield? All three of those backs are linebackers. How do they replace them on defense?

The QB was the starting safety. Is there anyone who can play safety? I realize the lines will still be strong, but they lost Shope and Bodine. I didn't see anyone on the Murphy JV that I think will be ready to replace them as sophomores.

All of North's "recruited" players truly wanted to come play for north. I also heard that north is getting a couple really good athletes from around the county to come and play for them. Whether or not a coach asks a kid to come and play, it is ultimately the kid's decision on if he wants to transfer so don't get mad at the coaching staff if one of your best players wanted to try another shot at a state title.

When has North had a "shot" at a State Title? You don't win State in losing in the 3rd Round. And if you don't think the coaches are out actively trying to get kids to come to North Stanly then you are more delusional that you sound. You can call it what you want but if I'm a decent player I'd like to play for a coaching staff that can coach.

Reactions: KnightyKnight63
My 10:

1. East Surry (bring back more than anyone else)
  2. Tarboro (lose more than anyone else, but will reload)
  3. Robbinsville (best backfield in West and as good as anywhere else)
  4. Mitchell (hope to see you in Regional Finals)
  5. Holmes (as close as they will ever be to Tarboro)
  6. Swain (bring back virtually everything and were clicking at end of season)
  7. Murphy (growing pains)
  8. Mount Airy (lost their best players, but QB is real deal)
  9. MIC (just want to give them false hope so the SMC can crush their dreams in playoffs)
  10. Polk County (talent is there)

When has North had a "shot" at a State Title? You don't win State in losing in the 3rd Round. And if you don't think the coaches are out actively trying to get kids to come to North Stanly then you are more delusional that you sound. You can call it what you want but if I'm a decent player I'd like to play for a coaching staff that can coach.
Putting teams together like that never works, not at any level. Kids playing together over several years develops a chemistry that you can't create on the fly. I'd be surprised if N. Stanley is even Top 20 next year.

Reactions: DeadpoolX
Not trying to argue, honestly want to hear your reasoning. Wouldn't you think Robbinsville is returning more than Murphy and would be favored in the conference? Anderson and Hooper will have big years.

Murphy loses their QB and McTaggert/Allen/Roberts in backfield. I know they'll play the JV QB as a tenth grader (how long will it take him to develop?) but how will they replace those three in the backfield? All three of those backs are linebackers. How do they replace them on defense?

The QB was the starting safety. Is there anyone who can play safety? I realize the lines will still be strong, but they lost Shope and Bodine. I didn't see anyone on the Murphy JV that I think will be ready to replace them as sophomores.

I don't think Robbinsville is returning more but that's just my opinion. Keep in mind Robbinsville is also replacing their QB. I still think Murphy has the best line in the conference next year. Key skill players returning, Murry, Dorsey, Rathburn. Add in McCraken, Wood, Rumfelt, Isray Smith and Hunter Laney and they're as good as anybody in the state. Isray Smith (if he plays) can fill that safety and be just fine. Either way I expect them to be more than capable of another conference and title run.

does anyone know what east surry has on jv? and don’t sleep on murphy ... the coach always has the boys right

I don't think Robbinsville is returning more but that's just my opinion. Keep in mind Robbinsville is also replacing their QB. I still think Murphy has the best line in the conference next year. Key skill players returning, Murry, Dorsey, Rathburn. Add in McCraken, Wood, Rumfelt, Isray Smith and Hunter Laney and they're as good as anybody in the state. Isray Smith (if he plays) can fill that safety and be just fine. Either way I expect them to be more than capable of another conference and title run.
There is some talent in the kids you named, I just don't think they'll be where they need to be NEXT year .... 2020, yes. McCracken is really small and I haven't seen him play anything but receiver and DB. Rumfelt will be a really good QB before it is all said and done, but he'll take some lumps next year. Wood is a big strong fast kid, but like the others, he's a year away from anything special. I don't know the Laney kid you're talking about ... is his dad a coach over there? I'm not sure about Smith either.

Next season IMO is just the Knight's year. We've waited for this bunch since our last championship team and it is finally here. They overachieved this season and the experience has given them a boost. I can hardly wait for August to get here.

Reactions: BK13T-$
My 10:

1. East Surry (bring back more than anyone else)
  2. Tarboro (lose more than anyone else, but will reload)
  3. Robbinsville (best backfield in West and as good as anywhere else)
  4. Mitchell (hope to see you in Regional Finals)
  5. Holmes (as close as they will ever be to Tarboro)
  6. Swain (bring back virtually everything and were clicking at end of season)
  7. Murphy (growing pains)
  8. Mount Airy (lost their best players, but QB is real deal)
  9. MIC (just want to give them false hope so the SMC can crush their dreams in playoffs)
  10. Polk County (talent is there)
Tarboro is returning 20 Seniors next year. East Surry is returning 16.

MA returns alot with a JV team that was undefedeat and real good QB and running backs. JV has #82 suppose to be real deal. Will miss Green brothers for sure. Offense will change to wing T. Line play will be better and will get bigger. Alot of speed at skill positions. Kicker should be D1 prospect. #20 from JV real good. 2020 MA should contend again.

Last edited:
Tarboro is returning 20 Seniors next year. East Surry is returning 16.
Not all seniors created equal. East returns nearly ALL of their key players, you guys lose nearly ALL of your key offensive players. Listen, I'm not throwing off on your team .... obviously they are right at the top of the poll. I just think they take a small step back to the pack next season.

There is some talent in the kids you named, I just don't think they'll be where they need to be NEXT year .... 2020, yes. McCracken is really small and I haven't seen him play anything but receiver and DB. Rumfelt will be a really good QB before it is all said and done, but he'll take some lumps next year. Wood is a big strong fast kid, but like the others, he's a year away from anything special. I don't know the Laney kid you're talking about ... is his dad a coach over there? I'm not sure about Smith either.

Next season IMO is just the Knight's year. We've waited for this bunch since our last championship team and it is finally here. They overachieved this season and the experience has given them a boost. I can hardly wait for August to get here.

You seemed to overlook Murray, Rathburn and Dorsey. None of those are a year away. Two Seniors and a Junior next year. IMO Rumfelt just needs to be serviceable next year. He has more than enough talent around him to take the load off. Call pass plays that fit his skill and experience level and let him hand the rock off to those seasoned players. I think he can get it done.

Reactions: mbdfan
Not all seniors created equal. East returns nearly ALL of their key players, you guys lose nearly ALL of your key offensive players. Listen, I'm not throwing off on your team .... obviously they are right at the top of the poll. I just think they take a small step back to the pack next season.
I see where you’re coming from and respect your opinion - but I just don’t agree.

No offense but I think Murphy people know what's coming back more than a fan of another team, the drop off next year won't be nearly as steep as some outsiders may think. Murphy has some big shoes to fill at certain positions but I don't see a lot of big question marks going into next year at too many places besides free safety (depending on whether Isra plays), outside linebacker and maybe tight end. They'll be a few spots where Murphy is young: QB, WR, CB but they won't lack for talent in those places.

Yes, Murphy loses Nelson at QB and that's a loss but Robbinsville also loses Orr at QB. Murphy has their answer at QB on the roster in Rumfelt, he's going to be young and he'll experience the typical growing pains a young QB does but whoever Robbinsville starts at QB will have the same learning curve.

Murphy does lose McTaggart and Allen in the backfield, both super talented players and their losses will be felt. But the kids replacing them are talented in their own right. Murray will take over at RB, Rathburn at FB and probably Dorsey at WB, they'll be more than fine at those spots. And those backs are going to be running behind what Murphy's o-line coach has said will be the best o-line he's had at Murphy.

As far as replacing McTaggart and Roberts on defense, that's a big concern but Murphy does return two starters at linebacker in Ray Rathburn and Parker Posey. Robbinsville on the other hand is losing Orr, Ornelas and Lovin at linebacker, so I could ask how's Robbinsville going to replace those three? Those are huge losses for your defense as well.

Murphy loses Nelson at free safety and to me this is a bigger blow than his loss at QB, Nelson was a very very good safety. They do have a potential talented answer there in Isra Smith (who was Murphy's starting FS and RB on their undefeated 2017 JV team) if he comes out to play again next season, which I feel confident that he will. Isra is Murphy's most talented skill player in the sophomore class. Another kid that will probably start in the secondary if he comes back out is Mikey Crowder, who was the fastest kid on the team before he quit. He like Isra was a starter in the secondary on Murphy's undefeated 2017 JV team. Robbinsville loses Jase Phillips at safety as well, that's a big loss for the Black Knights too. I know some Robbinsville people who considered Phillips your best all around player.

Shope and Bodine are big losses on the d-line but Murphy will definitely not be counting on JV players to fill those spots. Rashad Davis will take Hunter Shope's spot on both sides of the line and he's going to be a beast, kid would've started anywhere else in the conference this year. The other likely replacement on the d-line is Slade's younger brother Bailey McTaggart, who will be a senior next year and got plenty of reps this year. Murphy's d-line will be fine, maybe not quite as good next year but it won't be too far off, especially with Rayburn and Stalcup returning.

Last edited:
Tarboro and then everyone else. 20 seniors from that kind of program with those kind of athletes. You know it's a wrap. Get real everybody. Don't kid yourselves.

Reactions: DeadpoolX
Y’all can go ahead and place East Surry about 5th word on the street in pilot is Gosnell won’t be with the cards next year due to a family situation. with Gosnell and his younger brother who got a good amount of reps this season gone East will suffer a good amount with both of them East was primed and ready to make another run at Tarboro but if they really do leave it’s a wrap for the cards sadly.

Murphy won't be as young as you seem to think and remember Murphy's rising seniors beat Robbinsville's rising seniors on JV. 'Dogs starting backfield will likely be two seniors, a junior and a sophomore. That's somewhat young but not overly so, Murphy will be the youngest at WR and CB.

McCracken doesn't have to be that big, he's a CB and WR, he doesn't need to be muscled up to play those positions, he did more than fine at his current size at CB. McCracken will be one of the best corners in the conference next year and he'll be a solid option at WR. Rumfelt won't be asked to take on a huge burden next year, he'll be more of a game manager and he'll only need to keep defenses honest, which I think he's more than capable of with his arm and feet.

Wood isn't going to have to be a star next year, he'll get backup reps in the backfield and he could maybe start somewhere on defense possibly, depends on who does and doesn't play. Hunter Laney is a future stud, I don't guess you follow JV football? He was easily the best WR in the conference this year. He's 6'2 and fast, he'll be in the mix at WR next year.

Isra Smith I already mentioned in the last post, best sophomore skill athlete at Murphy. He was the starting RB and FS on JV last year. Like I said I feel strongly he's going to play again next year. Isra won't be a RB on varsity (probably WB or WR) but he's the best option Murphy has to take over for Nelson at FS for sure.

Murphy is also suppose to have two transfers coming in next season but you can't count on that until it actually happens, so I don't include them for next year. But one of them is 6'3 sophomore QB/WR/DB from a 3A school in Georgia who is supposedly moving here in January and the other one is a stud JV player from within the conference who is supposedly moving here next summer. We'll see if either actually happens or not but the parents of both said that's what they're doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cold Biscuit
East Surry has certainly upgraded their schedule....They will play Reidsville next year....not sure which school will be at home.................

Have heard the same about Gosnell ,that kid and his brother are hard to replace .East Surry takes a hit from that for sure,East won’t be back to state ,also losing Mitchell Edwards and few more seniors .

1. Tarboro
2. Mitchell
3. Holmes
4. Murphy
5. Robbinsville
6. Swain
7. East Surry (without Gosnell brothers)
8. Mount Airy
9. Starmount
10. ???

Last edited:
Reactions: Cold Biscuit
2019 preview begins and ends with one word. Tarboro. When the realignment shuffled WRH to 2A, it just meant four rings in a row for Tarboro.

Everyone that was closely related to the East Surry football program knew most of the season there was a good chance that both kids would be moving due to family circumstances, so it is not as big of a surprise to those. East Surry should still be good, just not as good. It is an unfortunate circumstance and both kids want to stay, but are unable to do so. East Surry will still be 1 of the top 5 teams in the state though.

You are forgetting about Murphy's transfers and the hidden kids, plus HD has a couple pretty good looking kids.

East Surry will still be 1 of the top 5 teams in the state though.
Gosnell is a huge loss, he's the one kid that look like he belonged athletically going up against Tarboro, I'm really not sure they're top 5 without him or his brother (who was going to be a big time player) but they'll be top 10 and have a good shot at getting back to state because the 1AA west will be terrible next year if Mitchell and Murphy are 1A again.

Y’all can go ahead and place East Surry about 5th word on the street in pilot is Gosnell won’t be with the cards next year due to a family situation. with Gosnell and his younger brother who got a good amount of reps this season gone East will suffer a good amount with both of them East was primed and ready to make another run at Tarboro but if they really do leave it’s a wrap for the cards sadly.

Some coach is going to get a real present when those two show up at practice. LOL

Reactions: mbdfan
Some coach is going to get a real present when those two show up at practice. LOL

It will be a school in Virginia, so no one in NC will have to worry about them. Unfortunately for the brothers, the school is very bad at football so they will not have any talent around them.

East will not go back to state ,in a big card fan ,Gosnell is the engine for that team,boaz can throw like hell ,but he cant run it .Very sad news for Card fans ,his brother was also a beast in the making.

Another shot at astate title? North Stanly? When was the first?

Gosnell is a huge loss, he's the one kid that look like he belonged athletically going up against Tarboro, I'm really not sure they're top 5 without him or his brother (who was going to be a big time player) but they'll be top 10 and have a good shot at getting back to state because the 1AA west will be terrible next year if Mitchell and Murphy are 1A again.
Mitchell will have a better shot at 1aa than Murphy, and no, that is not an EC joke. The Mountaineers return 9 starters on offense, 8 on defense. Lost Stud lineman Hudson Boone, 1100yard rusher Landon Miller, and Lineman Garrett Greene. They will return 2700 yard QB Noah Pitman, and 1700 yard WR Tyler Mckinney, along with one of the best kickers in the state, Elliot Kadens. They will start some big hogs up front, and should have another bruising rush attack, and very prolific passing game.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Putting teams together like that never works, not at any level. Kids playing together over several years develops a chemistry that you can't create on the fly. I'd be surprised if N. Stanley is even Top 20 next year.

I've seen it work plenty of times. All great programs get transfers. It's part of being a winner and kids want to come.

Mitchell will have a better shot at 1aa than Murphy, and no, that is not an EC joke. The Mountaineers return 9 starters on offense, 8 on defense. Lost Stud lineman Hudson Boone, 1100yard rusher Landon Miller, and Lineman Garrett Greene. They will return 2700 yard QB Noah Pitman, and 1700 yard WR Tyler Mckinney, along with one of the best kickers in the state, Elliot Kadens. They will start some big hogs up front, and should have another bruising rush attack, and very prolific passing game.
Yeah I'm well aware of what Mitchell has coming back, that offense is going to be prolific. The losses of Boone, Miller, Johnson and Greene on D will hurt though for sure, those four I thought were among your best players on defense and won't be easy to replace.

Mitchell is the favorites out west next year for sure with Pitman and McKinney but 'Dogs will be a very tough out again come playoff time, Murphy will be one of the only teams in 1A that can match Mitchell on the lines next season. Homefield will be big for that game if it happens.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT