ADVERTISEMENT

Watauga/Burns…any thoughts

I'll tell you. We throw the ball 90% of the time. Absolutely no run game. Yes we are young. But you can't have a sophomore throwing the ball 40 times a game. It doesn't work. Offensive play calling has been questionable at best the last few years. It's got to change.

While I agree whole heartedly with this...it’s hard to fully commit to a RB who is also a sophomore who just decides he will skip practice Monday and Tuesday.

While I agree whole heartedly with this...it’s hard to fully commit to a RB who is also a sophomore who just decides he will skip practice Monday and Tuesday.
We have other backs though. Lemont Wilson, remember him? We are way too one dimensional.

The play call on our last TD should’ve been the play call when we turned it over on downs at the 1,

The pick 6 totally changed the game. The Crest, KM, and Watauga games have basically been the same game. We haven’t been able to put teams away. We get up by 2 scores but can’t go up by 3. Dominate the first half statistically but get dominated in the second half. They are good teams but if something doesn’t change we are going to get eaten alive by Shelby. They came back and made a game of it against Rock Hill South Pointe. We are definitely lucky not to be 0-4.

I had a great time though, got to see Howard’s Knob and the App football stadium before the game and the student section sang happy birthday. Got everything I could’ve asked for except the W.

I’m just plain disappointed. I don’t know what’s going on. When you take the ball all the way to the goal line 2 times and can’t score- ? Watauga is big. They play fundamental football pretty dang good. Our youth really showed last night. I have no words, I can imagine how the boys feel. Well- we were lucky to win against Crest at least. We should have beat KM. Forestview gave us a gift. Watagua is the team of the 4 games so far that I’d say beat us. Anyway you look at it we would still be 2-2.

Didn’t see this one coming. Watauga had been underperforming and Burns might have caught them when things finally turned around.

Reactions: beamer24
Watauga is almost always underestimated but they rarely beat themselves and are always physical. Maiden must be damn good this year
Hey everyone, for some reason my old username isn't working, but this is us_doss11 from a ways back.

To answer everyone's questions about Watauga under performing, not playing to potential, etc, what a lot of you may not know is last night was the first time they've gotten to play their starting QB since early in week 1. Against Maiden, they were down to 2nd string, by the end of that game, 3rd string due to injures. They played a tough Mitchell team with a 3rd string QB making his first start. That only scratches the surface to the injury problems the Pioneers have faced so far this season.

So they aren't under performing or underrated, they've been hurt at multiple positions. Last night you saw the 90% strength Pioneers. They've still got a few lingering injures but that is close to what you'll see.

The biggest problem I see is finger pointing. Too many moving parts in sports for it to be ME and not WE. If you want to bet on yourself be a boxer. Do your part to the best of your ability and if you make a mistake admit it. Too much talent on this team for them to be folding in the second half of the games. Come out On fire and then it’s a lug in the second half. So much potential but they gotta get it clicking as a unit. It doesn’t matter what one person can do if nobody else is going to pull the wagon.

You hit the nail on the head. Play together- we have athletes- we can make the big plays, we have talent but all that ain’t worth a bit if we don’t create a team effort. Give me a “pioneer” team who lines up and runs right at you any day over individual show offs. I have seen glimpses of good stuff this year- we need to grow up, pull together, and win together. Go Dogs. We are pulling for you. We need to play a whole game like we played for that last TD, and the last TD against KM- play with fire 🔥 in your belly!

Hey everyone, for some reason my old username isn't working, but this is us_doss11 from a ways back.

To answer everyone's questions about Watauga under performing, not playing to potential, etc, what a lot of you may not know is last night was the first time they've gotten to play their starting QB since early in week 1. Against Maiden, they were down to 2nd string, by the end of that game, 3rd string due to injures. They played a tough Mitchell team with a 3rd string QB making his first start. That only scratches the surface to the injury problems the Pioneers have faced so far this season.

So they aren't under performing or underrated, they've been hurt at multiple positions. Last night you saw the 90% strength Pioneers. They've still got a few lingering injures but that is close to what you'll see.
Congratulations to a solid team- no you are not perfect but you should do fine this year!!!

To start with yes this team is young but quit using that as an excuse. All but a few played almost all year last year. Players are missing practice and for what reason. If you have passion for the game and want to win and believe you can win, you go to practice. This team is missing something and it’s hard to put your finger on it. It seems some of the players are all about ME instead of trying to help the team win. Let’s pad my stats instead of getting the W. Devine is a hell of a coach but it seems they aren’t making the adjustments that are needed to be made when the other teams are. Maybe the players aren’t responding to the coach or maybe it’s a ME mentality. Burns has played good teams and all of the 2A class and are 2-2. Granted they could be 4-0 and also could be 0-4. That being said take the 2-2 and count your blessings.
The offense is nonexistent. You have 3 capable backs so leaning on 1 is not an excuse. Run the dang ball!! Throwing the ball 40 times is stupid and it seems the qb looks for #2 every down. Can’t and won’t be a good QB doing that. You have 2-4 other good receivers that can make plays and get in the end zone. Why the QB doesn’t ever run is beyond me. Scared, no plays in book, looking for #2? Several times this season the QB has had chances to run it up field and either throws a bad ball, takes a sack, or runs it out bounds. Young is no excuse. Run the dang ball!! Why does this team run basically 3 plays. Bubble screen(30 times a game), run up the middle, screen pass. Not going to win many ball games doing this. When the line doesn’t hold up it is hard to call many plays so this is a big problem as well.
The defense can be great but when they’re on the field 70% of the game, they can’t be. Outside linebackers don’t attack like they should either but somehow defense plays well.
All this being said this team has ton of talent and with offense adjustments can in the conversation for a state title. They have time to make progress but they need to make them starting next week.

Good post and i agree....the qb needs to pull it some to keep defenses honest. 11 men with 11 assignments so if the qb is not threat to run it creates an advantage to the D. That guy after matt bad a pretty bad o but we saw more points even then...kids missing praxtice without a valid reason is unacceptable....i stand behind coach Devine and the offense will get better. Unfortunately the middle school we play Friday wont be any type of measuring stick.

It’s fine! You’ve played 4 tough games in a row

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT