ADVERTISEMENT

Walkertown @ West Montgomery

Maybe or maybe not. They also didnt score that many points on some of the bottom feeders in their conference either. Just saying.

Maybe just maybe West got frazzled when they got hit in the mouth. After running roughshod over all conference foes. Someone came in and played with a sense of urgency and had the athleticism to match it.

Want to congratulate walkertown. Will do right way this week. Got sickening news today so i cant do both teams justice but will.

Walkertown took most of their loses earily in the season. Some to very good teams. Strength of schedule!!!!!!. They just got better and better near the end of the season. Perfect timing. Don't think WM had been mentally tested , like Walkertown. Not WM's fault entirely with the weak YVC they play in. But when they met a team that could give them tat for tat I think it rattled them. Walkertown could win it all.

I alluded to it yesterday. It was mental, not physical. Plain and simple. Teenagers, it can happen to anyone. Good teams get beat. Scotland County got beat. Other really good teams will get beat next week. This is the same team that beat East Wilkes 51-7 last year. This is the same team that was one play away from possibly playing for a championship last year. But, we were physically better and more talented this year. That is the painful part. This is the same team that played inconsistently all year. That is what beat us, the mental aspect. The focus. We lost it (if it was really there, which leads one to wonder now) and we will be spectators from here on out. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm now exhausted myself, so I will bid you all farewell, its time to talk about teams that actually are still alive and have a chance to keep playing. We'll be relevant again next August and we will be back.

Walkertown is a better team. We are a very good 1AA team. We lose quite a few players but we return one of the best QBs to ever play at WM. Anyone that questions that hasn't been watching WM play. We also return quite a few playmakers as well. OL will need to be rebuilt but we have a program, not a flash in the pan team. Walkertown will be 2AA next realignment and they should do ok. They are almost double our size and should make it to State. West had a few chances but I honestly believe regardless of the drops Walkertown was the better team last night. Can't see anyone beating them if they play like they did last night.
778 Walkerton 601 WM far from being double your size

Beating East Wilkes 51-7 last year wasnt a great feat. East only won 3 games. So please dont gauge your success on beating last years East Wilkes Cardinals. East is a different team this year. And yes, its definitely way past time. The program funneled thru some talented athletes with super lackluster results for years. The coaching staff now has them believing that the sky is the limit. West Montgomery is a traditional 1a power. To me however without Thomasville in that conference it isnt particularly as strong as it has been in the past. I would say that you guys may have faired better playing perhaps the bigger nonconference schools like you have in the past. The MVAC at the top had tons of parity between top 4 teams. East benefited this year by seeing a a back from Wilkes Central Andreww Bynum that no one in 1a will rival. Ashe had a great passing game and a huge line. Starmount is full of tradition and beat Thomasville earlier this year. Usually East finishes well below thise teams. However the program is definitely on an uptick as the JV Cardinals dismantled everyone and finished 10-0 with over 25 freshman on that JV squad.

East Surry vs. Walkertown should be a very good game. Walkertown is very good clearly. What surprises me is that with all of the complaining about charters and privates, there is not more complaining about Walkertown and Forsyth School choice on this thread. I mean you realize not all those really good players are from Walkertown? I know the last couple of years they certainly were not. I don't care obviously since I have no dog in the fight, but I am surprised there is not any griping about that.

I think it's time to end this thread to be honest! It is what it is we lost and any given day all teams will. But the fact of the matter is WM has a well established program and excellent coaches that get the most out of the kids. They have a program that will year in and year out compete in 1a. Eddins loves WM and the community so I don't see a threat of losing him at this time. He'll give the guys a little time off then back to work for next year. We will be fine just wait and see. Thanks to the Warriors for a great season and go get ready for next year!!

778 Walkerton 601 WM far from being double your size
The argument about school size is not always what it seems. Obviously a larger student base gives the opportunity of a deeper team,assuming the gender breakdown is applicable. Unless Walkertown football team has a cut ( highly doubtful), the Walkertown -West Montgomery school population is a moot point, according to Maxpreps both schools have 45 players on their Varsity football roster.

Last edited:
It's not a mute point when Walkertown draws from great football tradition schools like Carver, East Forsyth, ect. Not sure what all the fuss is, they are moving up next realignment, though I do understand why some feel the NCHSAA should have went ahead and moved them up. But that would have made too much sense. The NCHSAA doesn't like to move schools until realignments, I do know that.

As far as West Montgomery goes, great season, nothing to be a shamed of. They had a chance to go up 28-7, ground jars ball lose, and they don't score. Walkertown busts off big play, then ties the game on a tremendous catch right before the half. West never really recovered I don't think. Up 28-7 with all the momentum and I think the Warriors win. But momentum is HUGE in the playoffs, and that is an understatement. I predict right now that WM wins a state title within the next four years.

Walkertown, what else can you say. They were bigger, faster, and more athletic than WM - and I never expected to see or thought I would say that. They were battle tested after playing the big schools, and never folded. Jay Perdue has always, imo, been one of the top OC's in the state and has been in state title games at higher than 1A levels in 2A and 3A. You could tell. He never panicked. And once he got on a roll, especially in the 2nd half, he just took WM behind the woodshed. And I say that having been on the other side with Perdue and Cummings taking teams I've been affiliated, behind the woodshed. So I don't say that in a negative way. Just that Jay is that good and when he's on his offenses are hard to stop. I have no clue if they can play the same way this Friday night. But I do believe that they will give East Surry all they want and then some.

And I should have started off this by saying I hope they young man for Walkertown that was injured is ok. The last thing you ever want to see is a kid hurt. And you could hear a pin drop in that stadium. Hearing the despair in his mother and family was almost too tough to take. I certainly pray the young man is going to be alright and that's certainly more important than any football game.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
It's not a mute point when Walkertown draws from great football tradition schools like Carver, East Forsyth, ect. Not sure what all the fuss is, they are moving up next realignment, though I do understand why some feel the NCHSAA should have went ahead and moved them up. But that would have made too much sense. The NCHSAA doesn't like to move schools until realignments, I do know that.

As far as West Montgomery goes, great season, nothing to be a shamed of. They had a chance to go up 28-7, ground jars ball lose, and they don't score. Walkertown busts off big play, then ties the game on a tremendous catch right before the half. West never really recovered I don't think. Up 28-7 with all the momentum and I think the Warriors win. But momentum is HUGE in the playoffs, and that is an understatement. I predict right now that WM wins a state title within the next four years.

Walkertown, what else can you say. They were bigger, faster, and more athletic than WM - and I never expected to see or thought I would say that. They were battle tested after playing the big schools, and never folded. Jay Perdue has always, imo, been one of the top OC's in the state and has been in state title games at higher than 1A levels in 2A and 3A. You could tell. He never panicked. And once he got on a roll, especially in the 2nd half, he just took WM behind the woodshed. And I say that having been on the other side with Perdue and Cummings taking teams I've been affiliated, behind the woodshed. So I don't say that in a negative way. Just that Jay is that good and when he's on his offenses are hard to stop. I have no clue if they can play the same way this Friday night. But I do believe that they will give East Surry all they want and then some.

And I should have started off this by saying I hope they young man for Walkertown that was injured is ok. The last thing you ever want to see is a kid hurt. And you could hear a pin drop in that stadium. Hearing the despair in his mother and family was almost too tough to take. I certainly pray the young man is going to be alright and that's certainly more important than any football game.
Unless the players are selected(from a cut) or roster #s are inflated from JV players 45=45, it doesnt matter if the school has 100000000 students , they have 45 football players. The best 1AA teams , can compete with a lot of 2AA teams and roster #s are similar . Clinton is in the Elite 8 2AA have 38 on their roster and were beaten by Wallace Rose Hill this year.

With all due respect Griddie, I don't think WM will win a title in the next 4 years. I have a feeling the window is closing for them to do so. I have thought this all along but never said it, next year is the year if they are going to get one. I hope I'm wrong but we will just have to sit back n see what happens.

Reactions: WM hater
WM is WM
They always have talent. If it werent for a blown call they would have had one
Its coming. Window is closing lol.

WM is WM
They always have talent. If it werent for a blown call they would have had one
Its coming. Window is closing lol.
I did say with all due respect. But if that is how you want to take it that's up to you.

And I respect your opinion. But WM has always had great talent. And in 1A theyve been very very good. With rose hill, james kenan and others going up
I look for the Warriors to become one of the premiere 1A programs year in and year out.

Emont is the one in real trouble. No way they excel in 2a. I would guess they get put in a league with er, trinity, wheatmore, jm, randleman, pgrove, and maybe andrews., Or will they be stuck with tville?

Emont is the one in real trouble. No way they excel in 2a. I would guess they get put in a league with er, trinity, wheatmore, jm, randleman, pgrove, and maybe andrews., Or will they be stuck with tville?
Not sure who we go with, but like I've said before it is what it is. I do think the west is getting tougher so WRH and JK leaving the east may be irrelevant for WM. Just a thought.

WM will be fine. It's a tough loss but we have a program. It will come through. We will get a title soon.

My wish would be a split conference with wm, em, jm, nm, cc, and sd. Chatham charter and uwharrie charter as nonfootball.

Reactions: Like A Pro
Hater I have to ask why all the hate for WM, I do agree west will never win a championship well I shouldn't say never not next year not until they make a change on offense.

Hater I have to ask why all the hate for WM, I do agree west will never win a championship well I shouldn't say never not next year not until they make a change on offense.
What change on offense do you suggest? I find it interesting that an offensive change is suggested after an opponent SCORES 63 vs you. This reminds me of a time when a very good friend of mine told me that the head coach was the reason a softball team lost was because he took out the ACE pitcher when they were TRAILING 3-0. The final score was 6-0, seems like a similar concept, lol.

When you can't move the ball and have to punt, that tells me you need to make a change, yes west gave up 63 that's because the offense didn't move the ball and the defense was on the field way to long wore out in 4qtr.

Reactions: WM hater
I have to wonder all this griping and fussing about WM. I kinda figure Walkertown would win this game since they are battle tested and play much bigger team than WM ever will. NOWWWWW...I understand WM could not play many 4A schools simply because where they are located at. It is not WM fault at all. When Walkertown play against 4A schools.....it would help them tremendously or seriously hurt them (Thomasville was in same boat this past two years and their morale went way south)

This Wolfpack team took it on the chin and gotten better as season goes along. I bet you big time that Walkertown players feel somewhat relieved in a way when they see 1A school across the field instead of 4A. IT does help WT morale for sure. They played all non conference teams that are 2A (1) 3A (1) and 4A (3) . Their first 1A school team they play against was first conference game. By the way, Walkertown ADM is ONLY 778 students while WM have 575. That is only about 200 more kids at WM. You don't see CC complain? Why I said that, CC only have 1247 kids and playing against South Meck (Same Conf) which has 2970 and won. CC will play against North Davidson in the playoff and ND has 1594 Students ......HMMMM That gives ND 350 MORE KIDS. Some of WM complains??????? IT IS what it is!

I heard good things about WT football program few years ago and knew they will have a fine football team along with their baseball team. Walkertown is in RIGHT spot compare to WM. WM is in rural area of the state while Walkertwon is right outside of Winston Salem and Kernersville. That is the DIFFERENCE...not the numbers of students at the school.....it is where it is located at.

The argument about school size is not always what it seems. Obviously a larger student base gives the opportunity of a deeper team,assuming the gender breakdown is applicable. Unless Walkertown football team has a cut ( highly doubtful), the Walkertown -West Montgomery school population is a mute point, according to Maxpreps both schools have 45 players on their Varsity football roster.
I know you know softball but I think the point is if you have a bigger number you have more to choose from. Think about travel softball, if you have a bigger group of girls to choose from then you can pick the best out of the group and field your best players. If you have 15 girls total to choose from them you take what you got and do the best you can.

I alluded to it yesterday. It was mental, not physical. Plain and simple. Teenagers, it can happen to anyone. Good teams get beat. Scotland County got beat. Other really good teams will get beat next week. This is the same team that beat East Wilkes 51-7 last year. This is the same team that was one play away from possibly playing for a championship last year. But, we were physically better and more talented this year. That is the painful part. This is the same team that played inconsistently all year. That is what beat us, the mental aspect. The focus. We lost it (if it was really there, which leads one to wonder now) and we will be spectators from here on out. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm now exhausted myself, so I will bid you all farewell, its time to talk about teams that actually are still alive and have a chance to keep playing. We'll be relevant again next August and we will be back.
While I agree with what you're saying, I look at how many people kept telling these kids (WM) how talented, how good they are that maybe, just maybe they all got a bit of the big head.

I know you know softball but I think the point is if you have a bigger number you have more to choose from. Think about travel softball, if you have a bigger group of girls to choose from then you can pick the best out of the group and field your best players. If you have 15 girls total to choose from them you take what you got and do the best you can.
That's why I said UNLESS there is a cut or selection process , 45 =45. I seriously doubt they cut at Walkertown, one on their fans would know I actually know nothing about "softball" , but regardless math is math.

No we Sodium Free...lol[/QUOTE

hop-logo.png

Reactions: Sweaterfee
Wow headhunter haven't heard from you lately, the warriors must have run you out from behind the woodshed when Walkertown took them back there Friday night!!!

I didn't think West players were big headed. They seemed confident but all good teams are. It was just a typical playoff games. WM had the chance to put Walkertown all but away in the opening half. When they didn't, Walkertown got the momentum and WM never really seemed to get it back even after the quick TD in the 2nd half by the Warriors. A fumbled punt gave Walkertown back the momentum if I remember correctly and they never let it go. Things snowballed from there and you see that a lot in the state playoffs.

When the players are at school months ago giving ring sizes, sounds like big headed to me.

More bad news for WM. If I'm not wrong they will have to contend with Walkertown one more year.

With all due respect Griddie, I don't think WM will win a title in the next 4 years. I have a feeling the window is closing for them to do so. I have thought this all along but never said it, next year is the year if they are going to get one. I hope I'm wrong but we will just have to sit back n see what happens.
Moot point. Not mute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT