ADVERTISEMENT

Vance stuffs Mooresville 35-7

OptionFreak

Dec 3, 2005
Planet Earth
The Vance Cougars rolled into Mooresville tonight and kept on rolling en route to an easy 35-7 1st round victory.

It all began with Mooresville punting after their first possession, pinning the Cougars at their own 1 yd. line. Omar Baker scooted 99 yds. on 1st down, 7-0 Vance. The Blue Devils defense settled down a little bit after that, but their offense never seemed to get on track. Vance took away the run and dared Mooresville to throw. The Vance game plan worked to perfection and they led 14-0 at the half. The Cougars got the ball to start the 3rd and scored again a few plays later. 21-0. After a pick 6 the scored ballooned to 28-0 with 6:55 left in the 3rd. Mooresville did manage to get the passing game going and posted a late score but it was not enough. Vance moves on to host Ragsdale next Friday night in the 2nd round.

Make no mistake about it. Vance dominated this game in every phase. They are that good. I can see them playing in the 4A West Regional Final and possibly for the state 4A title.

Mooresville says good bye to this group of Seniors. 10-2 on the season that ended way too soon.

GO BIG BLUE!

Great win for Vance. I thought this would be a battle. Vance has great speed and will be a tough out.

Many times games are about matchups and styles of play. This was not a good matchup for Mooresville and possibly the worst draw for Mooresville in the 4A West. Congrats on a great season Blue Devils!

to my good friend wossa.....i hope that your boys are able to fare better than we did.

they had about a buck fifty in quarterback sneaks alone. we just could'nt handle them at all.

should you decide to drive the '69 panel van down this way, gimme a holler. peace.

Originally posted by shutdownD24:

Many times games are about matchups and styles of play. This was not a good matchup for Mooresville and possibly the worst draw for Mooresville in the 4A West. Congrats on a great season Blue Devils!
My exact sentiments.

.....Vance is for real.....

No doubt. Once I knew that Vance was being placed in 4a and not 4aa, I knew most of the teams in the 4a west were going to have a major problem on their hands.The scary thing about Vance is that people should see some of the kids who are not playing sports walking their halls. If just a few of those kids get interested in football and come out for the team, you are talking about a possible powerhouse in the making.

Originally posted by shutdownD24:

.....Vance is for real.....

No doubt. Once I knew that Vance was being placed in 4a and not 4aa, I knew most of the teams in the 4a west were going to have a major problem on their hands.The scary thing about Vance is that people should see some of the kids who are not playing sports walking their halls. If just a few of those kids get interested in football and come out for the team, you are talking about a possible powerhouse in the making.
That is the same at many of the Meck County high schools and some others across the state. Some of those kids have played very little football, some cannot play due to academic issues (2.0 gpa in Charlotte) or other issues, and some just do not care.

Vance has always been a sleeping giant but they are not quite as big a giant as they once were and being in small 4A gives them a nice lift.

Originally posted by MooresvilleDevil06:
The team that throws on Vance is the team that will beat them. Their secondary was their weakness.
I did not see enough from Mooresville to make a judgement. The one time the d backs were beat was on the TD and the defender let up and gave up position after claiming to the receiver ran out of bounds.

I thought their d backs were good sized and very athletic players. I think comparatively that is the best way to beat them but the QB will need to be very mobile or have an impressive line. If the QB has height and a very strong arm the slant or a quick dig pattern would probably be there as with about any high school team.

For years Ragsdale has been a run oriented team. They threw just enough to keep teams honest but run game was the strength. Although it was more about a balanced attack ( not including Toney Baker era). This is one of the first years where Ragsdale has been more prolific with the pass. They have a good QB with a strong arm and several big and athletic receivers. QB broke his collar bone in second quarter of first game and then missed seven weeks. One of those athletic receivers then became the QB so they basically lost two players and turned into more of a QB option offense. Took them awhile to gel. First game with the new QB was at Dudley who murdered them.

New QB got his legs under him and they played better. Starting QB finally came back and while he has had some good games he has also struggled at times. Hard to say how much better the QB and the team would have been if he had been able to play all season. Ragsdale still has a decent running game but as usual over the last several years they are running behind a smallish O line. Norwood always puts out a disciplined line with good technique but it has been a while since he had any hog mollies up there.

Defense has good linebackers. Special teams is above average. Would love to see them pull off the upset but not sure if they will have the size to match up with Vance. Good luck to the Tigers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT