ADVERTISEMENT

Vance is no more

Stop the insults and work on real problems!!! If you're feeding this narrative to your students...again you are the problem.
These problems are real, you’re just not in reality.

Hole. Getting. Deeper.

I'm glad I'm not as well. So.....if black lives matter...how about the majority of kids who grow up in single family households, where the father is absent. This is highest in the black community. If black lives matter, then let's stop putting the majority of abortion clinics in black communities, where there are a disproportionate share of black babies aborted. Do black lives matter? Then address these issues.

Raise the standards in school. Don't lower them. Raise them. Expect more from the kids. Have more accountability. Hold them back if they fail. Stop making excuses for some kids.

Please don't get me started on administrators.

I have a stepson who currently teaches in the public school system. Not all but I know some of what's going on.

Instead of tackling the more difficult challenges, people like you would rather do symbolic things than tackle the serious issues.

If you're making excuses for kids in the school system instead of being a part of raising the standards, then you are part of the problem.
Stop wasting your time and energy, this crowd is all about oh poor me and always will be!

Stop the insults and work on real problems!!! If you're feeding this narrative to your students...again you are the problem.
You being uninformed and people telling you how uninformed you are, is not an insult. It’s a fact. You didn’t know people have been trying & lobbying to take down the monuments, statues and names on building of these confederate slave owners for half century. Something you just found out yesterday. That’s how far behind you are. Over a Century. UNCGrad2014 wasn’t even born. You’ve been sleeping Brother!

Reactions: Kylar2018
You being uninformed and people telling you how uninformed you are, is not an insult. It’s a fact. You didn’t know people have been trying & lobbying to take down the monuments, statues and names on building of these confederate slave owners for half century. Something you just found out yesterday. That’s how far behind you are. Over a Century. UNCGrad2014 wasn’t even born. You’ve been sleeping Brother!

Dude's a lost cause.

You have no clue what you're talking about. You only think you do in your own mind.
I’ve never been the smartest guy in the room, and I learned a long time ago, you can learn a lot more listening than talking. If you’re ever in the Queen City, I’m open for constructive uncomfortable conversation.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
I appreciate the offer, but I don't think my end of the conversation would be taken too well. It doesn't fit the current narrative many are pushing.
You don’t have to agree or disagree with me and order to have a constructive conversation. It’s the opportunity of learning from each other .. People go into conversations, and change their views often. I know I have. It’s all about the attempt!

Last edited:
First of all I want to apologize to Mr Hughes and Ms King for this thread not knowing it would head in THIS direction. Being that this is a HS football site and being that most people on here are adults that deal with kids on a daily basis I only made it because 1. I am probably the main Vance poster 2. Because were one of the top programs in the state I figured it would b something to talk about...positively. Again I had lots of respect for Mr Honda in the past and the work hes done but it's amazing how quickly someone can flush a reputation down the drain with a cpl ignoramus post. You sir Mr Honda are canceled
I can’t personally speak for either one of them, but from a moderator stand point I have found the conversation very informative and educational. The discussion Has been about real life experiences and issues. I have been impressed by the fact it has all been adult conversations. The childish name calling and presidential candidate horn blowing has not appeared. I see no reason to close or apologize for what has been said.

Let’s just hope we have a football season, We all need it for some sanity.

With this being said I am a Vance fan or whatever name is picked. My advice to the non minorities because it seems like theres a narrative..."if I dont see it or experience it...does it really happen?", yes sir it truly does. Jus like others said if u dont get it then I'm not about to teach a grown up how to think, if u want to truth it's out there. So my advice is sometimes it's best not to say anything, so say this to yourself..."theres people out here experiencing something that u jus dont get...I'll jus b quiet." sometimes it can jus b that simple...

Last edited:
Wow, this truly has been an interesting view into mindset. Educational in sort of a scary way.

Here is the good news. I love where the younger generation is mobilizing here. There needs to be more depth to the demands beyond statues and kneeling but the two things I do see bode well for the future..

Lots of different skin colors in those protesting AND a certain fearlessness in speaking truth to power.

Those of you hoping we could just turn the clock back to a quieter and more simple time ask yourself this question. For whom was it more simple?? When you answer that question you will understand why " privilege" is far more than a buzzword.

Last edited:
I know Vance has a historical site out from Weaverville, N.C. It’s the homestead of Z.B. Vance. I actually have relatives that live close to that area. There they still have the homestead. Out of all the years I only visiting one time. So I know their history as far as who he was and all. Now I will admit that I didn’t realize that they name Vance HS after him until not long ago. All I know was it was name Vance high. Now my question is why did they name it after him to begin with or what is the history of naming after him. Please know that this statement is not to bring any racial comments or division. I was just interested in knowing the history of naming the school after him.

I know Vance has a historical site out from Weaverville, N.C. It’s the homestead of Z.B. Vance. I actually have relatives that live close to that area. There they still have the homestead. Out of all the years I only visiting one time. So I know their history as far as who he was and all. Now I will admit that I didn’t realize that they name Vance HS after him until not long ago. All I know was it was name Vance high. Now my question is why did they name it after him to begin with or what is the history of naming after him. Please know that this statement is not to bring any racial comments or division. I was just interested in knowing the history of naming the school after him.
You asked the question, I’ve been curious trying to understand for years. Who and why did they decide to put these statues, and name buildings after these people in the first place?

You asked the question, I’ve been curious trying to understand for years. Who and why did they decide to put these statues, and name buildings after these people in the first place?
Thanks for your response.

Some people minds are set and will never change. They'll never understand people evolve, people perspectives change. I'm sure 40-50-60 it was accepted to say and do certain things. Times are changing and in this climate, my generation and even younger generations will not tolerate racism, bigotry, sexist behavior, etc. People who can not adopt or adjust will be left in the wind.

I just don't understand how anyone can be ok with anything that represents racism, hatred and division. Nevertheless attempt to protect and preserve these people or objects of racism.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Many of the statues and monuments were erected in the 1920’s, 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. Long after the Civil War, but in the Jim Crow era in the south. Before the civil rights legislation of the 1960’s. Of course, the naming of buildings and streets happened throughout the past 150 years. For many decades, southerners attempted to glorify and justify our history. While it’s true that most white southerners didn’t own slaves, and that the causes of the war were complex, slavery was certainly front and center.
I’m not ashamed of being a white southerner, but I’m absolutely ashamed of those parts of my ancestral history that demeaned, marginalized and even murdered people because of the color of their skin, whether it was black, red, brown or yellow. All of those have been treated miserably by my ancestors and others like them. I don’t know how to make that right. But I do know that I need to listen and learn. And that not every protester is a rioter. And that not every rioter is black.
I despise the violence and destruction. Not only because of the real damage it causes to victims, but because it shouts down a very valid message that our nation needs to hear.

Many of the statues and monuments were erected in the 1920’s, 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. Long after the Civil War, but in the Jim Crow era in the south. Before the civil rights legislation of the 1960’s. Of course, the naming of buildings and streets happened throughout the past 150 years. For many decades, southerners attempted to glorify and justify our history. While it’s true that most white southerners didn’t own slaves, and that the causes of the war were complex, slavery was certainly front and center.
I’m not ashamed of being a white southerner, but I’m absolutely ashamed of those parts of my ancestral history that demeaned, marginalized and even murdered people because of the color of their skin, whether it was black, red, brown or yellow. All of those have been treated miserably by my ancestors and others like them. I don’t know how to make that right. But I do know that I need to listen and learn. And that not every protester is a rioter. And that not every rioter is black.
I despise the violence and destruction. Not only because of the real damage it causes to victims, but because it shouts down a very valid message that our nation needs to hear.
You’re listening and willing to have a open conversation. That’s a great start!

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
You’re listening and willing to have a open conversation. That’s a great start!
In the end that's all that matters. We have heard "all lives matter, blue lives matter, what do u mean you have enough as anybody, what about black on black crime.....etc etc,etc. In the end we know this isnt white people's battle, we wouldnt want you to do anything that doesnt affect you but jus a simple..."you know what this isnt right, the system is messed up will feel your pain, and black lives really does matter," can go a long way.

This is why I said it would not go over well. Mr. Honda has shown his true colors. He was quick to mention black crime rates, abortion, and lack of father in the home, but didn;t ask himself why/how these things happened? From the beginning of America's existence the black man was marginalized by these very men who have these statues. Hell blacks didn't fully get the right to vote until 1965. This has effects even until this day.

The image white media portrayed of the black man as ignorant, angry, and a violent had a real effect on black life ceilings, and how they were interacted with. Its funny how black men were portrayed rapist of white women when in fact i was white men that did more raping of black women. But hey lets not let facts get in the way. You also had 4 republican presidents in Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Bush that took pride in incarcerating black men right after the civil rights movement. You remember Nixon's Law and Order? Regans War on Drugs? aka War on Blacks? Bush Crime bills for cocaine vs. crack? These programs directly targeted black men taking them from their homes and incarcerated them. These same power brokers from the 60,70,80,90 have raised children on their values.

As for statues? They were set to be mental reminders to blacks that white people are still in control and even though the wars are over we still esteem them and their values, but we cant do it out right. But we will bring our children to them and educate them on how terrible blacks are behind closed doors. Then you have a president that loves playing the race card anytime he gets to try and place black people in their place. When was America Great? Riddle me that? Why should Bubba apologize again? Brings up gap in Aubrey tape, after he was stalked down and killed then called the N-word. Can you see why people are a little upset right now? People have been asking for name changes and removal of statues for years. This aint new.

This is why I said it would not go over well. Mr. Honda has shown his true colors. He was quick to mention black crime rates, abortion, and lack of father in the home, but didn;t ask himself why/how these things happened? From the beginning of America's existence the black man was marginalized by these very men who have these statues. Hell blacks didn't fully get the right to vote until 1965. This has effects even until this day.

The image white media portrayed of the black man as ignorant, angry, and a violent had a real effect on black life ceilings, and how they were interacted with. Its funny how black men were portrayed rapist of white women when in fact i was white men that did more raping of black women. But hey lets not let facts get in the way. You also had 4 republican presidents in Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Bush that took pride in incarcerating black men right after the civil rights movement. You remember Nixon's Law and Order? Regans War on Drugs? aka War on Blacks? Bush Crime bills for cocaine vs. crack? These programs directly targeted black men taking them from their homes and incarcerated them. These same power brokers from the 60,70,80,90 have raised children on their values.

As for statues? They were set to be mental reminders to blacks that white people are still in control and even though the wars are over we still esteem them and their values, but we cant do it out right. But we will bring our children to them and educate them on how terrible blacks are behind closed doors. Then you have a president that loves playing the race card anytime he gets to try and place black people in their place. When was America Great? Riddle me that? Why should Bubba apologize again? Brings up gap in Aubrey tape, after he was stalked down and killed then called the N-word. Can you see why people are a little upset right now? People have been asking for name changes and removal of statues for years. This aint new.

I approve this message.

Reactions: nepsy7
I have a different opinion on the symbols. I see a lot of window dressing with some of these moves. The Black National Anthem at games - I'm not sure what that does to help people as an example. I don't want the real issues that exist to get lost in a bunch of removals on things that really don't matter a damn to the majority of Black Americans if they were asked. I want substantive changes that matter. See I'm not one big on false apologies and actions that don't make material changes. I know hate when I see it and it comes from all races but what I don't understand with some folks is that you can't take 400 plus years of restrictive access/oppression and say ok it's all good now. Are there serious issues in some of the black communities yes and there are bad folks in the community who do things that are not representative of the race at large - same goes for white folks. What I try to get people to understand is that the black community that I'm associated with wants to be left the f - alone and just be treated like their white counterparts. They are not looking for handouts or a free ride. If folks would get past the noise and look at the facts which is very hard in this country there could be solutions that would make this country much better. Some folks say when will it be enough and the answer is simple when the vast majority of people in positions of power eliminate systematic racism in education, housing, employment and banking it will be over. We all have probably been helped or met someone from the opposite race that has helped you alone the way and more times than not they did it because they knew what type of person you were. The problem today is there is this idea either you are in my camp or you are my enemy. What is happening in America is beyond race just look at the tv I see people of all ages and races. This is not just about race it's about equality and fairness for women, LGBTQ community, Immigrants and the poor. So if you think its only black and white you are missing the picture. There is a reckoning taken place and a lot of folks are afraid that their role and status in society will be diminished and that is something many will fight to hold on to no matter how ugly they have to get.

Can we not just get along? This is a HS Football/HS Athletic site Not the Politics Battleground.

Can we not just get along? This is a HS Football/HS Athletic site Not the Politics Battleground.
Wish it was that simple BDevil but politics unfortunately is in every aspect of our lives. You go to youth sporting events and you see political shirts and hates so sometimes its best to talk about these things. Granted this not the ideal platform but the as the moderator said there is something to gain from this conversation. I think we all could learn something from each other if we would close our snack boxes for a few minutes and just listen. Not saying we will agree but at least some of the hate and nastiness that is alive and well would be turned down a few notches.

Mr. Honda you are the problem IMHO. Gave you a myriad of reasons for the issues today and you just make excuses. You cant be oppressed in a system for over 400 years and just think the resulting issues will be resolved overnight. It takes and will take time. Young black men standing up to the oppressor and demanding statues be removed, names changed, and having pride in themselves after being stripped of decency for 100s of years is the first step. The lowest person on the human race totem pole is the black male due to systemic racism. To ignore it now just shows how you truly feel about black men in general. Its the shut up and dribble, or be happy with what we have given you already. The superiority complex. If blacks couldn't make whites happy playing sports and making them money I wonder how they would truly feel about us?

Everyone AUTOMATICALLY wants to point fingers at the system...at systemic racism, instead of looking at deeper issues. And there are deeper issues that whites cannot solve. Tearing down statues and renaming schools are symbolic gestures. But they do nothing to solve the deeper problems. Take a look at this blog post written by a young black man and tell me it's all about the system.

https://slowtowrite.com/our-fathers-our-failures/
Everyone like who? Who’s not looking at the deeper issues? Why do you continue to make false statements about things you’re not aware of. We’re capable of multi tasking. How would you know anything about the deeper problems, when you’re setting on the bench watching. Also please stop googling to find articles as co-signers, to use young black men as props, an attempting to sale your narrative. We all don’t think the same, and we have different views on many issues. I know it’s easier for you to just put us in the same box, but that’s not the way it works. It’s obvious you have no interest and learning outside your realm of thought. So why continue?

Everyone AUTOMATICALLY wants to point fingers at the system...at systemic racism, instead of looking at deeper issues. And there are deeper issues that whites cannot solve. Tearing down statues and renaming schools are symbolic gestures. But they do nothing to solve the deeper problems. Take a look at this blog post written by a young black man and tell me it's all about the system.

https://slowtowrite.com/our-fathers-our-failures/
So I took time to read this BS narrative or let me say BULLSHIT narrative from this article that single BLACK mothers are the problem with black society? Ok I'll go along with your bullshit narrative on single BLACK mothers are the problem....so let's ask why are a so many black mothers out there? Well it all started back in the 60s with public housing...u know if a woman in public housing is caught with a man in the household that their public funding is withdrawn? Well black man and woman why cant u jus get a job like everyone else I did? Well that's a good question a lot of jobs have ridiculous test and standards as far as college education where as u can tell I'm on public assistance so affording college is impossible unless I can catch, throw, or dribble a ball. Now look theres crack, cocaine, and other illegal substances out here now...so do I take a chance to sell this stuff to pay my bills or take a chance to either end up dead or funneled into the penile system which is basically modern day slavery set up to have a certain number of people that look like me to fill up the beds and cells in there. SO WHAT DO I DO?!?! Maybe if my ancestors had a 400yr headstart and I didnt actually start being more than 2/3s of a man after the 60s I could come on a football blog and tell the minorities that my problem is that my mom is a single mother?? Dont u think? Smh

I said when all this happened that I wasnt going to b that black guy online trying to teach a grown man common sense issues but I guess i jus did that. But the information is out there. I'll give u 3 books to check out...Sundown towns by James W. Loewen, the new jim crow by Michelle Alexander, and truthfully any book by James Baldwin one of the most brilliant writers of the 20th century. Stop jus saying and believing nothing is going on because I'm white and I say so and figure out....why are these people sick and tired of being sick and tired.

SMH...the article was written by a black man!!!!!!!! So, you're saying he doesn't know about the black race. I can tell you still didn't read my post where I referenced what a black pastor had to say. These are things said by black men, not white men...Cougars Dad. It doesn't matter. I don't think you really want to see what he had to say. It's just much easier to push the current narrative, isn't it?
Oh I read it...like I said that's their problem...ur pointing out to one or 2 issues...what I'm telling you is what is the WHOLE PROBLEM. Ur talking about single mothers and his problem for example..I would ask WHY IS HIS MOM SINGLE? See ur talking to a Black man who was also raised in a single mother household...the system in America is broken.

SMH...the article was written by a black man!!!!!!!! So, you're saying he doesn't know about the black race. I can tell you still didn't read my post where I referenced what a black pastor had to say. These are things said by black men, not white men...Cougars Dad. It doesn't matter. I don't think you really want to see what he had to say. It's just much easier to push the current narrative, isn't it?
So you believe a hand full of pastors, and 1 black guy represent an entire race? ?What Buffoonery! Also! What do you call a guy who was offered a olive branch to have a constructive conversation about your views. You declined! Than you posted, you people don’t want to talk about the real issues? You’re a Hypocrite, and I have no further words for you. So I’m going to stereotype you, like you’ve been doing everyone who disagrees with you, while you set on the bench doing nothing. You’re an old know it all, and you’ll go to your grave angry, and ignorant.

So you believe a hand full of pastors, and 1 black guy represent an entire race? Also! What do you call a guy who was offered a olive branch to have a constructive conversation about your views. You declined! Than you posted, you people don’t want to talk about the real issues? You’re a Hypocrite, and I have no further words for you. So I’m going to stereotype you, like you’ve been doing everyone who disagrees with you, while you set on the bench doing nothing. You’re an old know it all, and you’ll go to your grave angry, and ignorant.
It's called I'm white and I say so law. I've gave him some stuff he can check out on his own. It's up to him to choose to do so....but theres a change a coming I'm so proud of our white, black, Asian etc who says....u know what were tired of this systemic white supremacy stops with us!!!

It's called I'm white and I say so law. I've gave him some stuff he can check out on his own. It's up to him to choose to do so....but theres a change a coming I'm so proud of our white, black, Asian etc who says....u know what were tired of this systemic white supremacy stops with us!!!
I would never put up an article of a white guy to attempt to justify my argument, while being black. He’s just mad, because he lacks knowledge, so he’s looking for a co-signer, without any credibility.

I would never put up an article of a white guy to attempt to justify my argument, while being black. He’s just mad, because he lacks knowledge, so he’s looking for a co-signer, without any credibility.
But hes a level headed cerebral person and I think hes saying...u know what let me turn fox news off and read some and look a lot deeper than this instead of taking tucker Carlson and Laura Ingrahams rhetoric and find out what's really going on. I fail to think someone who spends so much time every week during football season running numbers, percentages and lists to do his predictions wouldnt jus sprew bullshit? I hope that's not what's happening.

No, it's not. I'm doing much more research and continually looking into this than most of you guys think. Probably more than many as I'm trying not to get caught up in all of the emotion and accusing people. If I've failed to do that, I apologize to anyone who's been offended.

When I was just a little boy in Richmond, Va, my Mom would take me shopping downtown. We would ride the bus. We'd stop and pick up white people and black people. The black people that got on the bus all went to the back of the bus. We'd sit near the front. I never asked my Mom, but I would ask myself, why do they get to sit back there. I thought it was cool to be able to sit back there, but I never got to.

On broad street a major business street in Richmond, they'd have the major retail stores on one side of broad street and other stores for black folks on the other side of broad street. I never understood that. My Mom never mentioned it and as a 6 year old kid, I didn't ask either.

Yall get all mad because what I say doesn't 100 percent fit the narrative. For example I found an article on the Racial Customs and Rules of Racial Behavior in Jim Crow America. Very enlightening and very disgusting.

https://files.nc.gov/dncr-moh/jim crow etiquette.pdf
Look up Governor Charles Aycock, Alfed m Waddell, the news and observer newspaper and Wilmington massacre if u really want to get sick. Happened right here in our backyard. Smh

I've heard about Governor Aycock, especially. I also learned of the Wilmington Massacre. Heartbreaking.
I guess single motherhood isnt jus the problem. White supremacy can b organized. But like u saying "heartbreaking" ur looking at this from white eyes....look at all this and ur black...ur a black man experiencing and finding this out. Should u feel mad? Or still blame single motherhood??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT