Vance is no more

Discussion in '4A Football' started by 704CougarsDad, Jul 1, 2020.

1. 704CougarsDad

704CougarsDad Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well looks like Zebulon B Vance high school will be renamed. And also some other schools may have the same faith. Times a changing my friends.

2. BlueDevil1996

BlueDevil1996 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Do we know the name or is there going be a vote or ?

3. 704CougarsDad

Expand Collapse

My guess is Harvey B Gantt

bigdadd11103 likes this.
  4. bigdadd11103

bigdadd11103 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Great choice for a name change but it will not go over well.

5. ScotlandAlumni99

ScotlandAlumni99 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good! change was needed

PlaidPimpin likes this.
  6. UNCGrad2014

UNCGrad2014 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m all for that name.

Gantt Cougars.

Chopper747 and 704CougarsDad like this.
  7. Ladge

Ladge Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Dorothy Counts Cougars works as well.

704CougarsDad likes this.
  8. btango

btango Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great man, great family. Was my neighbor many years ago.

Veejay4 and 704CougarsDad like this.
  9. By the Fence

By the Fence Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Saw where there is also a movement underway in Wayne County to rename Charles B Aycock High School (3A).

Aycock name has already been removed from a dorm at ECU.

704CougarsDad likes this.
  10. Kylar2018

Kylar2018 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Been following you for years. Where are you originally from. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience on everything

11. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

Was also removed from the auditorium on the campus of my alma mater, UNCG.

UNC91 likes this.
  12. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

Wow. You’re like the most interesting man. Wealth of experience and now this?

13. 704CougarsDad

Expand Collapse

Btango is the most interesting man in the world. That guy in the bar or the cigar lounge that always have a circle around him lol

14. btango

btango Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Was living in downtown Charlotte 4th Ward in the early 90’s. Business partner was friends with two of his daughters at Chapel Hill and got to know them, too. Harvey was the first black student at Clemson. First class folks.

15. nepsy7

nepsy7 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

His Daughter long time anchor for WCNC, Sonja Gantt. Mother of Grant Gibson, starting center for The Wolfpack, and played at Mallard Creek. Awesome family!

16. ForsythCo

ForsythCo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Majority of the school is black. To hell what other people think. Having black kids go to a school named after a confederate officer and not expecting them to complain is just pure ignorance.

17. portcity FB

portcity FB Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are going to give him a big head.

btango likes this.
  18. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

It’s amazing how you don’t get it. Celebrating treasonous losers that fought for the enslavement of people, only to be immortalized? Damn shame.

19. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

You don’t sound enlightened at all. You sound privileged.

bigdadd11103 and Kylar2018 like this.
  20. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

I’m not for the looting and burning down. The removal of Confederate statues? Damn right.

Greengold_4ever likes this.
  21. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

It’s a buzz word to you, it’s how you’re responding to me. You can’t relate, and that’s fine, but the sheer ignorance you show to Americans that lineage built this country, especially the south, and what those statues represent (the truth) show how privileged you are. Stay privileged.

Greengold_4ever, UNC91 and Kylar2018 like this.
  22. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

Ah! There’s the more whites have been killed by cops than blacks buzz retort. Deaths per capita. Check it out. Don’t care where you were born or what you did in the 70s. It’s 2020, and they’re coming down. Get over it.

23. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

And this may not be the place for these comments to you, but the same players on that Vance team that won the state championship feels the exact same way I do. You’ll cheer them on on Friday nights, but will insult their intellect for what they logically see the world to be. I’ve said my piece. Now I’m done.

Serstylz2, UNC91, Kylar2018 and 2 others like this.
  24. 704CougarsDad

Expand Collapse

I know ur mr contrarian on here and majority of the time I agree with you when u always bring up stuff that people dont see, but with this one its probably best to say nothing. We in America yes we have the freedoms to say whatever and whenever we want but with this one it's best not to say anything at all especially if u cant identify with the people who is experiencing it. Yes Vance all these yrs some knew it was named after a Confederate general, yes kids still played with that name but dude they're jus kids they dont know themselves better yet why this school is named after. We as adults have said for years that the name has to b changed but until recently it came upon deaf ears. Man the kids jus want to play that's it and it's an issue they SHOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT. Its us as the parent changing that and as we see its finally getting done. So I'll give not jus you but people who dont understand stuff that other people are going thru...its best jus to b quiet sometimes and let changes change.

25. ForsythCo

Expand Collapse

A lot of these schools, statues, and monuments were enacted as a response to the civil rights movement.

And this ain't about holding grudges. It's about righting wrongs. This crap is inexcusable and the government (state and federal) should be lucky that we're asking the bare minimum from them.

26. ForsythCo

Expand Collapse

See that's the problem with people like you. Just because you don't hear something doesn't mean it's not happening. People have been complaining about Vance for years, but the request to change the name would fall on deaf ears.

It's amazing to me that you think it's just one event that's cause all this. This frustration has been building since the before America was even a country. When you don't right the wrongs of your forefathers you end up with situations like this.

The Union didn't go far enough. I would have burned the south to the ground and hung every treasonous general from Virginia to Texas.

26 ForsythCo, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  27. btango

btango Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Julius Chambers would be a good name for a high school. Civil rights attorney. J. Chambers Cobras.

Always wanted a Harvey Gantt HS Giants.

27 btango, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    UNC91, PrepFanNC and 704CougarsDad like this.
  28. PrepFanNC

PrepFanNC Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Robert B Glenn High School is likely next. I am ignorant and didn’t realize that Glenn was a major factor in the Wilmington NC Riots. Not cool Bob.

Kylar2018 and 704CougarsDad like this.
  29. Blue and Gold22

Blue and Gold22 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

" One day, may we all meet together in the light of understanding"- Malcolm X

It would be easy to just have fun and troll you but your ignorance here is frankly too far in the dark to enjoy it like I usually do. Combining " buzzword" and " privilege" in the same sentence speaks to the irony of all ironies.

The fact that you interpret white privilege as a buzzword is the absolute definition of the term.

Trust me Mr. Honda- plenty of people have had issues with monuments, statues and naming rights for decades. You may not have heard them but that speaks more about the message receiver than the message giver.

Protests, statue removal, kneeling during the anthem, HS football players refusing to play because of racist environments allowed in their schools........it makes you uncomfortable. I truly understand that as it makes me uncomfortable at times as well but here is the good news. True growth in this country has never occured without it. End of slavery, 19th Amendment, Civil Rights, Voting rights,LGBTQ rights ...........none of those occur without a great deal of uncomfort.

It is a great country because of it and it only gets better with more of it.

30. nepsy7

nepsy7 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

FYI! The looters & protestors are not the same people. Kind of like, good cops vs bad cops. That’s the narrative people like yourself try and push, because it’s much easier for you to understand. You’re damn near 70 with no true black friends that can educate you outside of social media, so you come on here with the same argument that you used 35 years ago. Instead of educating yourself either in the classroom, or setting down with someone of color and having a conversation that makes you feel uncomfortable. On some of your post, you act as though 2 groups of people got in a bar fight, and they should shake hands and move on. The US was bought, built and brodered on Slavery. It’s a fact! We learn from this and get better. You don’t make comments suggesting you’re not a slave anymore so move on. Damn!

31. 704CougarsDad

Expand Collapse

First of all I want to apologize to Mr Hughes and Ms King for this thread not knowing it would head in THIS direction. Being that this is a HS football site and being that most people on here are adults that deal with kids on a daily basis I only made it because 1. I am probably the main Vance poster 2. Because were one of the top programs in the state I figured it would b something to talk about...positively. Again I had lots of respect for Mr Honda in the past and the work hes done but it's amazing how quickly someone can flush a reputation down the drain with a cpl ignoramus post. You sir Mr Honda are canceled

32. Blue and Gold22

Blue and Gold22 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There is no fencing off this subject from HS football. As Mr. Baxter from SC Varsity showed us yesterday it lives and breathes in it.

33. Kylar2018

Expand Collapse

No need to apologize bro. This is America. Well suppose to be anyway. Debates and protest are supposed to be welcome, isn't how the country was founded. I'm younger than most on here so I'm definitely encouraged to learn historical references from you guys. Ppl like honda don't understand it's not a black vs. white issue. Its a RIGHT vs. wrong issue

34. Babyhewey

Babyhewey Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm asking this on this thread because it hasn't been answered on the other thread I asked it on. And please this is a legit question because I don't know. Regarding the player/players at Hough. The interview I watched he was referring to social media posts and sounded like the kids he was talking about never singled out anyone person was just saying things in general. Now while I understand that being racist to anyone or about any race is terrible, what is he wanting to happen? Because I have been told over the years that the schools don't have the power to do anything if it is not on school property. So if it is not directed at a certain person and only on social media can the school do anything? And would sitting out his last year hurt his college chances? Now please im not by any means condoning the racist things these kids are saying im just asking a real world question, can anything actually be done like the players are wanting or are they for the lack of a better phrase, fighting a losing battle with this particular incident

35. Kylar2018

Expand Collapse

Honestly in this racist/prejudice climate I feel on the High school and college level if any black athlete do not feel safe at their current school. They should be allowed to transfer to another school without any penalties or consequences.

36. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

Good question. Something can be done by administration if an action done by a student off campus could potentially interrupt learning or threaten the safety of staff and students.

37. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

No need to apologize, Cougs. We can’t continue to run away from these issues. They’re intertwined with sports, as they are in the workplace and social circles. If we have young ladies and men in high school taking a stand to call-out the injustices and wrongdoings of this country, we as adults should as well. No one was called out of their name and no one was threatened. This is healthy conversation for some, and exposing of others for who they are: fans of the game, but dismissive of those same players when they speak up and aren’t playing for their entertainment. Honda and SC Varsity represent the hypocrisy of this country. Whenever the status quo of the US (flawed from its inception) is threatened to change for the better, it’s viewed as an indictment on those that see nothing wrong with the systemic nastiness of this country, or fail to see it at all. Thank you for making this post. Progress is made when people are uncomfortable. We want our teams to push the envelope to evolve and become better, so we, as the adults, should model what we want out of kids playing a game in the grand scheme called life.

Kylar2018 likes this.
  38. Kylar2018

Expand Collapse

You just don't get it. Just leave it that

39. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

Like Kylar just said, you don’t get it. The fact that you believe responses to you as sarcastic speaks more to that. Stick to sports.

And you’re not the victim. With what all you’ve said, you’re definitely not the victim. You’re a victim of your captive mindset, but you, sir, are not a victim.

You’re not being bullied, you’re being held accountable for your views that are drenched in privilege and non-progressive efforts. Thank God you aren’t a Coach or teacher right now.

40. UNCGrad2014

Expand Collapse

You still don’t get it, and I do this work every day. I’m an educator and I’ve taught at one of the toughest schools in North Carolina. If you knew me, which you don’t, you’d know that I’m the last to make excuses for students and I’m hard on the ones that I do teach. Ask Quavaris Crouch how tough I was on him when he was in my class.

You continue to live in that false sense of security where statues are just statues to you, while “we people” (you’d never make it today saying “you people”.... so much to learn, but you’re incapable) do the work to bring down representations of systemic racism and enslavement, and continue to push forward for policy change. You can continue to post if you’d like, but you’re digging your hole deeper and deeper.

Greengold_4ever likes this.