ADVERTISEMENT

Uwharrie Charter

jabr

Nov 18, 2007
Not trying to start anything, just curious of what schools Uwharrie Charters players would be assigned to?

Reactions: BK13T-$
What high schools do Randolph County and Eastern Randolph take? Is it possible to just have 1 Randolph county team take on the 6 high schools or is enrollment to much?

My understanding is there 1-2 kids that live within 10-15 minutes of UCA. There is 5-6 Randolph county kids, the rest are from different counties.....

It's the nature of the Charter schools. What I've seen with them is they are either really good because they emphasize athletics or they are terrible because athletics are secondary to them. Either way, not much fun to play them. With this in mind, I understand why Charter schools really can't have their own classification, but come playoff time, that should be the subdivision criteria for everything but football. Not enough of them play football yet. But at the 1A level, it's not a level playing field. With that said, I have no problem with Uwharrie, as far as I can tell, they play within the rules that exist. The rules need to change.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
If Charter schools are permitted to recruit, the public schools should be able to, too.

Of course, so long as there is a level playing field.

A friend of mine is a coach at a high school and in 1A, and he says one of the big differences is how many paid coaching positions the Charter schools get. Where most public schools gets 2 or 3, Charters can pay as many coaches as they want.

What high schools do Randolph County and Eastern Randolph take? Is it possible to just have 1 Randolph county team take on the 6 high schools or is enrollment to much?
There are 7 high schools in Randolph not counting the Charter. Not sure how many either draw from now. Asheboro (who should not be referred to as Randolph county ever but is) draws from the Charter which gives them access to players from all over technically Randolph and four or five other counties. ER draws from PG and ER (of course) plus some of the western Chatham schools plus Southern Alamance I think.

But at the 1A level, it's not a level playing field. With that said, I have no problem with Uwharrie, as far as I can tell, they play within the rules that exist. The rules need to change.
I agreed with the first of your post. This part not as much.
Couple of things come to mind:
Their "lottery" ;)
And the fact that a couple of people have been "discouraged" from attending middle school baseball games in the county.

I know there is one that should be at Eastern Randolph, beyond that, I can't say.
There were three at beginning of year on roster that would have attended ER. Two ended up with rings. One very important player would have attended SWR. Another main starter on hill went to Wheatmore freshman year. Rest I don't know for sure.
I will say they do work on their baseball program very well.

It needs to be dealt with then. You know a little more than I do. Appears you are more connected. So I'll trust your info.

Reactions: BK13T-$
It needs to be dealt with then. You know a little more than I do. Appears you are more connected. So I'll trust your info.
Connected?
Eh maybe if that means been around baseball down this way for a long time then yeah I guess so. Also means I'm old too.
Must not be that connected because I should know you with that user name. :D

Connected?
Eh maybe if that means been around baseball down this way for a long time then yeah I guess so. Also means I'm old too.
Must not be that connected because I should know you with that user name. :D

Interesting news out of UC?

Reactions: thekidd12
I wonder if this is an issue that just surfaced or did the "can get kicked down the road" until the playoffs were over. Should be a good job. Seems like you can treat it like a travel ball program, that's if you make it past the lottery.....wink, wink.

Oh there's a reason. Not first time he has been asked to leave a program either. Great job though. Will probably be line out the door to fill. And yeah the travel ball comparison was sweet.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I guess I'm just old, and don't understand the whole charter school thing. It just seems like there are a whole lot of advantages they have from a sports perspective.

Oh there's a reason. Not first time he has been asked to leave a program either. Great job though. Will probably be line out the door to fill. And yeah the travel ball comparison was sweet.

ER, two questions? First one I should know, but moving from regular public to charter as a teacher, does your time in the NC retirement program continue?

Second, do you think they will continue the pipeline?

Uwharrie would've been in the state title game in 2017 and 2018 if Murphy hadn't been in the way, would've won it in 2018. Charters have taken over the country club sports at the 1A level and are a huge threat in everything else minus football and football is probably just a matter of time at this point.

ER, two questions? First one I should know, but moving from regular public to charter as a teacher, does your time in the NC retirement program continue?

Second, do you think they will continue the pipeline?
Not sure on first question but Uwharrie is a public charter. Money comes from you and me so I think so yeah.
Second question is much easier. The HC was not main uh, shall we say, influencer. They will not skip a beat.

Seems almost impossible. Someone had to be asleep at the wheel. Hope the $ was not being funneled to other people

How much we talking? Like how bad did he and his wife mess up? Anything over 1000 is a felony.

Initially, I heard 30k. They kept digging and a buddy of mine well connected in Randolph County says looking at.............wait for it..............................around................wait a little more.........................like 400K.

Initially, I heard 30k. They kept digging and a buddy of mine well connected in Randolph County says looking at.............wait for it..............................around................wait a little more.........................like 400K.
Allegedly...:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT