ADVERTISEMENT

Updated 1a west playoffs with cutoff line

Do they flip between the 1s then the 2s then the wildcards or will they flip with the entire field?

Do they flip between the 1s then the 2s then the wildcards or will they flip with the entire field?
Once the 32 teams are in then they divide them into A &AA then they'll have a random drawing between the 1's for seeding then the 2's then the 3's and wildcards together.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I think factoring in things besides just ADM has been needed for years, but they need to get rid of the East-West thing and make a few more tweaks to the formula.
To me student body size should be the only thing that matters, but there might be other things to help determine classification that I haven't thought of that would make sense. But 25% based on your 3 years average of points in the Wells fargo state cup ?( Which I've never even heard of) that seems to be what pushed Polk up to 2A. So because your school did well across the board in multiple sports in 1A you should have to go to 2A? While at 614 Polk might have gone to 2A in the just using adm anyway but you have schools with the same or higher adm who is already 2A dropping to 1A because they had a low state cup average.
Then 25% based on a schools 3 year average ISP which is the percentage of students at a school that receive government assistance as established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
How does that have any bearing on what size of classification your school plays in?
You have high percentage of students who receives government assistance so you go up in classification?
Just out of curiosity I would just like to find an article with an explanation in their thinking of why those two criterias should be used in a schools classification.

Last edited:
To me student body size should be the only thing that matters, but there might be other things to help determine classification that I haven't thought of that would make sense. But 25% based on your 3 years average of points in the Wells fargo state cup ?( Which I've never even heard of) that seems to be what pushed Polk up to 2A. So because your school did well across the board in multiple sports in 1A you should have to go to 2A? While at 614 Polk might have gone to 2A in the just using adm anyway but you have schools with the same or higher adm who is already 2A dropping to 1A because they had a low state cup average.
Then 25% based on a schools 3 year average ISP which is the percentage of students at a school that receive government assistance as established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
How does that have any bearing on what size of classification your school plays in?
You have high percentage of students who receives government assistance so you go up in classification?
I would just like to find an article with an explanation in their thinking of why those two criterias should be used in a schools classification.

I think that student body size was all that mattered before school choice became as prevalent as it is now. But at this point two schools can each have 500 students and be apples and oranges. For instance, if School A has 500 students in Forsyth County--which has open enrollment for an entire urban/suburban county of almost 400,000 people--and School B has 500 students as the county high school for a county of 15,000 people, then those schools are the same size but they aren't drawing out of the same type of pool. And so I think there are some factors that should be implemented to address that.

As far as the thought process, I think the higher government assistance actually lowers your realignment score instead of bumping schools up. So the idea was probably that a school with wealthier population is going to have more resources, more boosters, kids with more exposure to country club sports, etc.. I don't know that it will matter in some sports, but I could see that mattering in some non-revenue sports like golf and tennis. As for Wells Fargo Cup, a lot of 1A is cyclical and seems like it's going to end up punishing down classes for what the upcycle classes did. So I'm not crazy about that one. And I think population base/open enrollment is really where the adjustments are needed. For instance, Georgia just implemented a rule that any student that does not live within a residential district for the school counts as 2 students. I don't think that the current measures got it right (especially the east-west thing), but I am glad that they are at least going away from looking strictly at ADM.

Last edited:
School choice is a big driver for this and I agree that more than just size should be factored in. As pointed out, a big difference in schools with 500 kids across the state. A school like Pine Lake Prep has resources a school such as Murphy can't even fatham having.

I think that student body size was all that mattered before school choice became as prevalent as it is now. But at this point two schools can each have 500 students and be apples and oranges. For instance, if School A has 500 students in Forsyth County, which has open enrollment for an entire urban county of almost 400,000 people, and School B is the county high school for a county of 15,000 people, then those schools are the same size but they aren't drawing out of the same type of pool. And so I think there are some factors that should be implemented to address that.

As far as the thought process, I think the higher government assistance actually lowers your realignment score instead of bumping schools up. So the idea was probably that a school with wealthier population is going to have more resources, more boosters, kids with more exposure to country club sports, etc.. I don't know that it will matter in some sports, but I could see that mattering in some non-revenue sports like golf and tennis. As for Wells Fargo Cup, a lot of 1A is cyclical and seems like it's going to end up punishing down classes for what their up classes did. So I'm not crazy about that one. And I think population base/open enrollment is really where the adjustments are needed. For instance, Georgia just implemented a rule that any student that does not live within a residential district for the school counts as 2 students. I don't think that the current measures got it right (especially the east-west thing), but I am glad that they are at least going away from looking strictly at ADM.

Yeah I might have gotten witch way the ISP moves you backwards but it still could move you and getting the ISP score isn't as straight forward as the other two

A somewhat shorten version of the video of the realignment formula.

2019-20 ADM × .50 = ADM score
2017-18, 18-19, 19-20 State cup average × .25 = State cup score

ISP average from same 3 years from largest to smallest schools using a proportional linear distribution ranging from (.25-1.75) which determines a schools ISP multiplier. Then 2019 ADM × ISP multiplier= ISP factor
Then ISP factor × .25 = ISP Score.

Adm score
+
State cup score
+
ISP score = final realignment score.

Then state is divided East 209 schools and West 216 schools then schools in each region will be selected from largest to smallest on their final realignment score. Then divided 25% for each classification

This 21-25 realignment is just messed up with this system I can't believe not one person on that board didn't say this is stupid. Just noticed that 2A Draughn with an adm of 630 is dropping to 1A. Polk isn't the only school that got screwed some got worse. Read an article today from last December were the athletic director of East Carteret was furious and probably still is about them being moved from 1A to 2A from the article... “I think it’s ridiculous,” East Athletic Director Daniel Griffee said. “No matter what formula they used to break these divisions down, we are not a 2A-sized school, and that is unfortunate. It’s crazy.”
Their 2019 adm was 534 and that includes over 40 students from the Marine Science & Technology Early College High School. Two 2A schools near them has 706 and 774.
I assume they appealed but from looking at the first draft and the final one I might be wrong but I don't think they changed one school if true then no one won their appeal.
The state didn’t approve of East Carteret staying in 1A but they did put them in a conference with only 1A schools. Rather odd split conference with only 1 2A school.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
The state didn’t approve of East Carteret staying in 1A but they did put them in a conference with only 1A schools. Rather odd split conference with only 1 2A school.
Well that's good at least in the article the athletic director was also worried about being put in a split 1a/2a.

This might not work ether without knowing all the numbers and logistics but it seems if they were going to go with the system they're using in the new realignment that right now it's 20/30/30/20, 72 in 1a , 110 2a , 115 3a , 80 4a and they're going to 25% across the board... Seems you could add a 5a and go 20% and that would give around 75 each with one at 77 or two with 76 teams. Seems that might reduce the adm spread some might not just spit balling they rejected the adding the 5a for some reason.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT