Updated 1A/2A Baseball Bracketology

Discussion in 'Open Sports Discussion & Resources Forum' started by tarheelg, May 1, 2019.

1. tarheelg

tarheelg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

2. NWWatchdog

NWWatchdog Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely crazy to have a team like West Columbus in the "west." Same thing happened in football a few years back - Whiteville was placed in the west. Hard to justify having a school less than an hour from the beach in the west. Really wish they would go back to having conferences assigned to either east or west, but I also understand the desire to have the 48 or 64 best teams in the playoffs regardless.

PrepFanNC likes this.
  3. PrepFanNC

PrepFanNC Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you on this. I’m from Central NC, but I know exactly where Columbus County is. This year I’m going to actually put pins in a map so that I can visualize it. I know how the state is shaped, so of course Whiteville is much further west than say, First Flight... but still.

4. york1313

york1313 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Will the new adjusted Maxpreps rankings come out Sunday?

5. NWWatchdog

Expand Collapse

My guess is no. The state usually gives their adjusted rankings at the beginning of each week. They will probably use those for seeding but we won't know them until they are released on Monday along with the brackets. They may fluctuate some but probably not dramatic shifts from what is listed now.

6. Sportsnut17

Sportsnut17 Moderator
    Expand Collapse

When does playoffs start?

7. NWWatchdog

Expand Collapse

Tuesday

Sportsnut17 likes this.
  8. EDEagle66

EDEagle66 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I would like to see Ledford win the 2A East side of the bracket. They are tough to beat with Chris Villaman on the mound. I think Oak Grove could make some noise as well. They have a great deal of talent on that team along with a very good coach in David Thomas. He was also a very good player for Ledford and Catawba back in the day.

9. Griddie

Griddie Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So brackets are released Monday and they play Tuesday? Makes sense

10. Griddie

Expand Collapse

And East Davidson fan pulling for Ledford. Amazing how rivalries dissipate over time

PrepFanNC likes this.
  11. bamapride22

bamapride22 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Isn’t it great how the state is so determined to post football brackets on Saturday the day after regular season ends with games not starting until the following Friday. But baseball has to wait till Monday before a Tuesday game to see where they go. North Carolina is so screwed up in high athletics it’s ridiculous!!! I know it’s a money thing but I thought it was suppose to be about the kids at this point!?!?

12. Griddie

Expand Collapse

The NCHSAA has really took a nose dive in recent years. This week they really outdid themselves.

mistermean1 and bamapride22 like this.
  13. EDEagle66

EDEagle66 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

With both teams being from the CCC, I would like to see both schools do well seeing as that East Davidson did not make the state playoffs this year. Like I previously stated, Ledford is going to be tough to beat with Chris Villaman on the mound. I feel like Oak Grove could make some noise as well.

14. superhasbeen

superhasbeen Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Weird that Ledford is in the East this year after winning the West last year.

15. PrepFanNC

PrepFanNC Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think the line cut right between Ledford and Oak Grove this year. Ledford must have been the very last team to go East.

16. smithn

smithn Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Looking at the pairings there are some questionable seeds. Greene Central in the East that finishes 5th in their conference gets a 23 seed. Really? There are several seeds that are from split 1A/2A conference in East that are iffy. East loaded with Ledford.

17. GSO-Triple5

GSO-Triple5 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

5:00 PM Monday afternoon

" Bubba's Busses and Tours, Bubba speakin'. "
    " Hey Bubba, this is Coach B. Dazzled down at the local high school. We'd like to charter a bus tomorrow morning, which is Tuesday "
    " OK, coach, whur yall goin' ? "
    " I don't really know, but it'll be somewhere between Asheville and Nags Head. "
    " Dern, Coach B. Dazzled, why didn't you call someone concerning this matter ? "
    " I did, Bubba, but there was no reply. "

superhasbeen likes this.
  18. smithn

smithn Active Member
    Expand Collapse

A few observations. This seeding thing( IE. conference winners on 1 line, 2nd place on 2 line will get some teams busted real soon that has no business being seeded where they are. Lets look at a couple. Reidsville an 18 seed of the weak Mid State 2A is going to have a tussle with Roanoke Rapids a 13 seed. Reidsville had the lowest adjusted ranking with a 68 and yet are a 18 seed by virtue of a weak conference. Randleman on the other hand with a second place finish in the PAC7 is the 11 seed and host a West Craven team that was 4th in the tough Eastern Carolina Conference. In the Coastal 1A/2A split conference, Dixon a 10 seed, that has 4th worse adjusted maxprep ranking that finished 2nd in the split conference will host 5th place Greene Central of the tough Eastern Carolina conference. Dixon won't last long. And oh let's look at NC Science and Math. They are the 9th seed in the East with ad adjusted maxpreps ranking of 49. Yet they play no non conference games and won their weak conference with only 2 teams that has winning records. They host Webb which is the 5th place finisher in the split Northern Carolina 1A/2A conference. That one should be a doozy.