ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscola just can't win...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many high schools could be caught for this but unless its a big national power high school I dont see the point in making such a big deal about it.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
I think this is great for Tuscola, they will have their own, copyrighted logo. Also the fans get to come up with it. It would be horrible if they had to change immediately but App is allowing them to do it over time so it won’t cost tons of money at one time.

Reactions: WESTERNOC44
It isn't popular, but it is the right thing to do. If you don't pursue trademark violations, it can hurt you down the line when someone really decides to use it for a profit.

They'll need to come after Mitchell for their usage as well. I'd assume that they'll be talking to Apex High School in Wake County at some point too. Apex is clearly using their "Block A" with the script in the middle.

Some schools (I think I've ready about Clemson) will allow their trademarked paw print to be used by schools if they pay a very nominal fee, which sets a precedent and allows them to control and protect their logo from being used without permission.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
And to add to the misery rumor has it Tuscola is now looking for another head coach! (Word on the street)

My son is student teaching at Waynesville middle school and was telling me that was the rumor.

Go Big Red
#27Forever

Good question, if colleges really start enforcing this, alot of schools are gonna be hurting bc there are alot of logos that are very similar to college/NFL teams

Maybe not Mitchell maybe. Could be because Tuscola had the same colors. Maybe. Then again Mitchell may have new logo by next year.

Go Mountaineers

The greed in this country is absolutely beyond ridiculous. Tuscola used that image before they did. I'd bet my last penny on it.
Rumor is true from what I hear.
What makes App look really bad is the fact Tennessee let tuscola use their T. An out of state school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Happened to South Iredell a few years ago I think with a Viking.

People don't seem to understand copyright and the fact it is the law. It sucks but it's what it is. Typically the bigger entity will win as well.

It also doesn't matter if you used a logo for 80 years. If you don't trademark it and someone else does, you'll lose the battle too.

Last edited:
Happened to South Iredell a few years ago I think with a Viking.

People don't seem to understand copyright and the fact it is the law. It sucks but it's what it is. Typically the bigger entity will win as well.

It also doesn't matter if you used a logo for 80 years. If you don't trademark it and someone else does, you'll lose the battle too.
You couldn’t have described it any better. It’s a clear rip off. It was probably ok on a helmet or a jersey…. But every other Joe Schmo in the state has a side business making TShirts these days. They profit from making Tuscola Tshirts with App’s copyrighted logo on it…. That’s why they have to defend it. Otherwise anyone can do it whenever they want.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
The worst part of this thread is the coach might be leaving. I don't want Brookshire to find another job. Hes right where he belongs!

I think this is great for Tuscola, they will have their own, copyrighted logo. Also the fans get to come up with it. It would be horrible if they had to change immediately but App is allowing them to do it over time so it won’t cost tons of money at one time.
Screw App State. Tuscola had that exact logo decades before Tweetsie Technical College claimed it. Just because Tuscola did not copyright it in the 30/40’s it allows someone to steal your property. I do not think anyone in Waynesville minded them using it, but then to turn around and say the original rightful Owner can’t use it is not right. I know it is probably the law, but it is a bad look IMO by the Watauga Reform School.

• Haha
Reactions: footsoldier
Screw App State. Tuscola had that exact logo decades before Tweetsie Technical College claimed it. Just because Tuscola did not copyright it in the 30/40’s it allows someone to steal your property. I do not think anyone in Waynesville minded them using it, but then to turn around and say the original rightful Owner can’t use it is not right. I know it is probably the law, but it is a bad look IMO by the Watauga Reform School.

That is incorrect. Tuscola should have copyrighted the logo. As I said above, if you don't copyright it, then you have no right to it, no matter how long you've used it. It's not your property until you've gone through the proper procedures.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I am just hoping next year is competitive. The years following I know will not be. Could be several repeats of 2006!

And it may not be over yet. It could be Tennessee might want to talk to THS about that identical T on the helmets AND on the field. Same goes with Pisgah and that PURDUE P they are using. Both need their OWN identity, not some other entity's.

Brookshire has been suspended...

Looks like the principal took a hit as well.

Whats the scoop Tuscola folks?
I don't want to start rumors that are unsubstantiated but the feeling around the school is there were allegations against Brookshire and the principal took up for the coach.

Again, we don't know the validity of the rumors so it's way to early for this to be a stain on the reputation of a head coach known around the community as someone with high character.

My sense is even if he is cleared, he will likely not return to Tuscola next year.

And it may not be over yet. It could be Tennessee might want to talk to THS about that identical T on the helmets AND on the field. Same goes with Pisgah and that PURDUE P they are using. Both need their OWN identity, not some other entity's.
The only school that I'm aware of that has a copyright on an Alphabetical letter is Wisconsin and the "flying" W. I don't think you can copyright something that is as common as a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT