ADVERTISEMENT

TUSCOLA FOOTBALL

And you know all this how? Do you have a kid playing? How many football coaches HAVE a rapport with staff at their high school? I've been involved in athletics since about 1978 and very few are totally plugged in to the every day goings on at their school. They are THE football coach and that is all they want or need to be.

All the complaining about "they don't hit anymore"- NOBODY hits anymore. Have you watched the news in the past three plus year? From the NFL on down, hitting in practice is almost non-existant.

Have you tried having a rapport up there? Granted, its a lot better than the previous administration but you have an AD there that is wearing about 3 different hats right now and athletics doesn't always sit on the front burner. Were you aware he gives an academic award each semester to the top GPA player in each class, grades 9-12? He has brought a professional educator demeanor to a program that sorely needed it.

As to relationship with players, how much do you want because I saw plenty. He ain't moving in with them, he's their coach. You want an old school, "smash mouth", coach which is exactly what you have at the moment. The vast majority of the 50 year old + coaches are not exactly touchy-feely

As for playoffs, the prior coach had exactly 0 wins. Keifer was 4-4, most of that on the backs of the 2009 team. Tuscola overall has a losing record in the playoffs as I recall. Pursley recorded the first playoff win since that '09 team. He lost to Concord, who had a D1 RB, in his first season, lost to a more athletic Statesville team in 2015, and lost in the second round to the eventual 3A state champions last year. The days of us going down off the mountain and picking up 2-3 wins in the playoffs are long past. We also are probably never going to host a home playoff game after the first round again since the state is now seeding the playoffs instead of assigning home games to conferences as they did 20-30 years ago.

Beyond beating Pisgah, there isn't much more that can be reasonably be accomplished at Tuscola anymore. Two of the last four losses were in OT. Some will say he was too conservative in those games and that is fair criticism. If you want to go back to the 80's, I suggest you tune in to MTV Classic.
I am what I believe to be reliably informed (a lot of evidence sure supports this) that Jubal is a former coach at Tuscola, still with ties to some of the staff. Would this be true Jubal? Yes a few "disgruntled fans" would be just about the fact. And the rest dont give a S@#t one way or the other. THAT might be the biggest reason for that 30% in the stands you are talking about. If you want to go there and name names, (rather than screen names) I will be glad to accommodate you. (Getting ready to out some PHS posters as well. People are a LOT less brave when they have to put a name and a real face behind what they say. I can do it...Can you?) We can start here if you want. But for now, I will start by saying that you nor anyone else, gets to determine, "who wants anybody around, or not." Even if/when YOU WERE coaching at THS.

Reactions: L Boog
I guess Pisgah faithful should have paid more attention to east than worrying about who’s coaching Tuscola ! East fans are loving this one !! Xtra seeet since chappel left them high and dry !

Reactions: BlueVols
Hey everybody, just saw Mules article for the Tuscola game tomorrow night. He wrote 5 consecutive paragraphs about Tuscola’s previous head coach and named him in the headline. Sounds like a personal vendetta to me. Remember. Facts are facts.

http://www.themountaineer.com/sport...cle_441bdf14-af96-11e7-8df1-cbd6b97fae29.html
Editor's privilege to edit, add, subtract, change, etc anything he wants regarding any content on his sports page. What HE says....GOES. All I am going to say about that.

I guess Pisgah faithful should have paid more attention to east than worrying about who’s coaching Tuscola ! East fans are loving this one !! Xtra seeet since chappel left them high and dry !
East must have REALLY improved. This one is a shocker. Of course PHS season ended with the victory over Tuscola. They have nothing left to prove. At least from their perspective, and sadly from some THS posters perspective as well.

Mule..... Sorry. You’re way off base with me.
It would be wise to remember there are more "inside sources" at THS than just the ones you use. They talk, they commiserate. And SOMEBODY is ALWAYS around to hear what is said. There is no such thing as kept secrets. The only way to keep them is not to HAVE any. Some of those "sources" are likely to dry up right quick unless I miss a very educated guess.

East must have REALLY improved. This one is a shocker. Of course PHS season ended with the victory over Tuscola. They have nothing left to prove. At least from their perspective, and sadly from some THS posters perspective as well.
What's really sad mule is how you and others have neutered this rivalry.Of course the rest of the season is important to us as well as Pisgah's season is to them.We either have a rivalry or we don't.PERIOD.

Maybe a little harsh crest but not totally inaccurate. I would not say talentless. #1 has talent, just needs to work on consistency and attitude. #9 getting some looks from D1 programs but he's just a junior.
Certainly not to the level of last year's team but you play with who you got.

While all the remaining games are winnable, Erwin has improved since the beginning of the season and who knows which West team will show up next Friday?

Pursley has coached his teams into the playoffs 23 consecutive seasons in the years he coached (likely 24 after this year).

Not to mention that all that "depth and talent" at NE Guilford hasn't produced a winning season since Pursley left in 2012 and managed only nine wins in 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016 combined. Also, NEG had 1 winning season in the 5 years prior to Pursley arriving then went 20 years without another losing season until he left (again, they've had 4 losing seasons in the 4 years since he left).

I don't know what your ax to grind is with Pursley, but your examples of why he's not a good coach just don't make any sense.

The above are FACTS. Trust me, he is the real deal. No one is perfect but coach was a straight shooter that built his teams the right way. He NEVER recruited kids from other programs and gladly would show kids the door if they didn't want to WORK for their goals with our teams. Trust me, I was around to see it happen multiple times. He is the epitome of a great high school coach. NE has not been the same since. Tusucla should be proud they have him.

Reactions: WhoaMule
What's really sad mule is how you and others have neutered this rivalry.Of course the rest of the season is important to us as well as Pisgah's season is to them.We either have a rivalry or we don't.PERIOD.
What's really sad mule is how you and others have neutered this rivalry Define "rivalry." Why is that game still NOT a rivalry? The last one, or the last 50 of them Looked to me just like a "rivalry" to me. I dont know what you have seen. Scads of people, lots of $$ made, in every one of them, win or lose. Now if your version of a "rivalry" is to put all your eggs in that one basket, that is not only counter productive, but downright unhealthy. Why hell, to hear some that think like you tell it, both teams may as well just play that one game then put up the pads, then play ONE basketball game, and so on. Talk about "neutering." People who think like this neuter the whole rest of the season over ONE game,

What's really sad mule is how you and others have neutered this rivalry Define "rivalry." Why is that game still NOT a rivalry? The last one, or the last 50 of them Looked to me just like a "rivalry" to me. I dont know what you have seen. Scads of people, lots of $$ made, in every one of them, win or lose. Now if your version of a "rivalry" is to put all your eggs in that one basket, that is not only counter productive, but downright unhealthy. Why hell, to hear some that think like you tell it, both teams may as well just play that one game then put up the pads, then play ONE basketball game, and so on. Talk about "neutering." People who think like this neuter the whole rest of the season over ONE game,
When a HC goes out of their way to intentionally down play the importance of this game..That's neutering.When the same person says he doesn't understand what the big deal is..That's neutering..When this is related to the team as this was yes....That's neutering. And it shows on the field .I'm not saying forget the rest of the season.Of course it's very important as well.As far as the money made bla bla bla. I must give props to our RIval. They take it more seriously run the show better and have way more community support.And those my friend are the painful,but true facts. OH and this last game had no rivalry in it.It was just a good ol fashion country ass kicking.Which we were the recipients of.

Reactions: WNCfballFan
When a HC goes out of their way to intentionally down play the importance of this game..That's neutering.When the same person says he doesn't understand what the big deal is..That's neutering..When this is related to the team as this was yes....That's neutering. And it shows on the field .I'm not saying forget the rest of the season.Of course it's very important as well.As far as the money made bla bla bla. I must give props to our RIval. They take it more seriously run the show better and have way more community support.And those my friend are the painful,but true facts. OH and this last game had no rivalry in it.It was just a good ol fashion country ass kicking.Which we were the recipients of.
"When a HC goes out of their way to intentionally down play the importance of this game.. Facts, even unpopular ones, are still facts. This is a fact. Teams can even drop one non-conference loss as if it didnt happen for playoff purposes. but they cant drop a North Buncombe loss, nor can Pisgah drop an East Henderson loss. If the goal is to qualify for the playoffs, ( as it should be) the PHS game is not the end of the season.for THS. Now, all games are "important" and I know teams and coaches try to win them all. but what you are suggesting is that this game is more important, simply because of bragging rights. even with no bearing on the rest of the season. The reality is, that THS, even in that tough league they are in, STILL has a chance for a good season, after losing so many players last year, and a realistic chance to make the playoffs. This is only possible if they think about NEXT week's opponent, not the game that was played in early September. We have seen (and maybe are seeing again) what happens when a team hangs their hat on one game. Give me a chance to win MORE games any day than just ONE game, and then quit.

Last edited:
Crest and Shelby are HUGE rivals, could compete for best in the state.

4 or 5 miles apart

15 state championships between the two

And I hate Shelby, I respect them but I hope they choke...with that being said, if they beat Crest, I'm going to be upset, but I promise. I'm a grown ass man and I along with the crest players and coaches know we can still win conference and possibly state...

Y'all are crazy, and your taking away the fun of the game for those boys when the only thing that matters is beating Pisgah...you know those boys read this stuff right? Tuscola could win state, but those boys will still feel like losers cause they lost to Pisgah...stupid people.

Crest and Shelby are HUGE rivals, could compete for best in the state.

4 or 5 miles apart

15 state championships between the two

And I hate Shelby, I respect them but I hope they choke...with that being said, if they beat Crest, I'm going to be upset, but I promise. I'm a grown ass man and I along with the crest players and coaches know we can still win conference and possibly state...

Y'all are crazy, and your taking away the fun of the game for those boys when the only thing that matters is beating Pisgah...you know those boys read this stuff right? Tuscola could win state, but those boys will still feel like losers cause they lost to Pisgah...stupid people.

Have you ever been to a Pisgah Tuscola game?I have been to a Crest Shelby game and that game paled in comparison.

Lord, forget it! Y'all some stubborn S.O.B's

Y'all are what? 7 miles apart? Build a new school 3.5 miles in between and that way you might have a team that can compete worth a damn.

Y'all are what? 7 miles apart? Build a new school 3.5 miles in between and that way you might have a team that can compete worth a damn.

You just proved you're an idiot by calling someone who you never met a SOB.I asked you a simple question and you decided to show your ignorance.

I never met Hitler either, pretty sure he was a SOB...but wait I can't say that because that would be ignorant right? So does that mean you condone killing Jews? See how I turned the tables on you there? LMAO.

Okay, no I've never seen tuscola and Pisgah play...don't really care too because every time the two teams meet the only thing people talk about is winning the half and half.

Reactions: W.I.R.
Okay, no I've never seen tuscola and Pisgah play...don't really care too because every time the two teams meet the only thing people talk about is winning the half and half. It IS a really big pot, to be fair. May be more than the entire half and half revenue stream for an entire football season at most if not all other high schools in NC. at least at Tuscola which is usually a little smaller pot. At Pisgah there is no doubt about it. Got to give them that. They know how to run a half and half fund raiser.

I never met Hitler either, pretty sure he was a SOB...but wait I can't say that because that would be ignorant right? So does that mean you condone killing Jews? See how I turned the tables on you there? LMAO.

Okay, no I've never seen tuscola and Pisgah play...don't really care too because every time the two teams meet the only thing people talk about is winning the half and half.

That did surprise me I figured an ass hole like you would love Hitler.
Wasn't it just last year that you was calling for your coaches hide because he only won nine games after winning the state championship the year before.Guess you will want to get rid of the new coach since he has already lost three.

Nah, even assholes like me will give new coaches at least two years. And this guy seems like the real deal. He's ten times better than the last one and best of all he didn't get blown out 42-0 by South Point!

HAYWOOD county is like 99 percent WHITE. Combining two white, marginally athletic and slow teams will accomplish what, other than to create one BIGGER white marginally athletic and slow team? The demographic make up would not change, and there would be nobody around to play anywhere near the same size. No conference to play in.

What does being white have to do with anything? Being white doesn't make you bad at football, just like being black doesn't make you bad at hockey. I have seen some schools that are predominantly white do quite well in football and some that are predominantly black be equally as bad. If you have players then you have players. I don't care what color they are. The only part of that post I can agree with is the marginally athletic and slow part.

What does being white have to do with anything? Being white doesn't make you bad at football, just like being black doesn't make you bad at hockey. I have seen some schools that are predominantly white do quite well in football and some that are predominantly black be equally as bad. If you have players then you have players. I don't care what color they are. The only part of that post I can agree with is the marginally athletic and slow part.[/QUOTE

"What does WHITE have to do with anything?" Well, We keep hearing from many of you posters to "wait until you get off the mountain to see some REAL football teams." When we DO get off the mountain, the demographic make up of teams IS the biggest difference we DO see. Are you saying this is merely a "coincidence?"

Sounds to me like you are saying that Tuscola can't be any good because they don't have enough African-American players and I am saying that is ludicrous. When someone says seeing REAL football, I don't think that they are referring to just the African-American players. I believe they are referring to the overall brand of football and the better players they have regardless of race.

"When someone says seeing REAL football, I don't think that they are referring to just the African-American players." Oh I see! Im sure those teams full of white boys down the mountain are just that much better than mountain white boys and that makes all the difference. Got it! BTW, which teams with all those better all white boys down the mountain are you referring to?

"When someone says seeing REAL football, I don't think that they are referring to just the African-American players." Oh I see! Im sure those teams full of white boys down the mountain are just that much better than mountain white boys and that makes all the difference. Got it! BTW, which teams with all those better all white boys down the mountain are you referring to?

What I said was that I have seen teams that are PREDOMINANTLY WHITE do well in football. I didn't say where they were from. However, since you ask, Swain, Murphy, Robbinsville, Mountain Heritage and ACR come to mind from the mountains. While ACR does have their fair share of African-American players, they are still mostly white ( 13 of 43 this year are A-A ). When ACR played South Point a few years ago (2014), I believe they were predominantly white. Their best player was white ( Tanner Muse ). Weddington is predominantly white and they are pretty damn good. Charlotte Catholic is predominantly white and they will stomp all but a handful of teams in the state in the dirt ( regardless of classification ). I'll say this again. It doesn't matter what color you are. You can either play good football or you can't. We will have to agree to disagree on this topic I guess. BTW, were you sitting in the press box at ACR during the ACR/Tuscola JV game at ACR?

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
All those schools listed above recruit players from other schools and in some cases, other districts. You know it, I know it and no one talks about it. Have all the players at ACR always been in that school district? We all know the answer to that one. I do think certain pockets and communities just have better talent. For the most part, in his own crazy way, Mule is correct.

You know these schools recruit how? That has been beat to death on these boards for years. Please give us the evidence that you undoubtedly have before making such an accusation. That is another subject up for debate all together. If you have that kind of proof then you should go directly to the NCHSAA and report them, otherwise, it is just your opinion.

Didn't hit a nerve. It is just the same old tired excuse for those who can't compete on a yearly basis to use. " Oh those other schools recruit or get transfers and we just try to get along with our boys". All that does is teach those guys to have an excuse when you don't win. It's quite pitiful actually.

That may or may not be so but they are still mostly white.

Ok, we've beat this horse to death. We can all agree to disagree I guess. Good luck to all your teams except if they play the Rockets.

I didn't say where they were from. However, since you ask, Swain, Murphy, Robbinsville, Mountain Heritage and ACR come to mind from the mountains. Why this list is the ABERDEEN PROVING GROUNDS of changing schools (often within the same school year) questionable transfers, and other tactics to pool talent. I did NOT say this is policy or even encouraged by the schools or admin themselves. It is a bunch of kids that know each other and decide they want to play for School X, even though they may live in district Y. But petition and somehow get it done. Also many Cherokee players (who incidently also often make outstanding athletes) are sprinkled in most of those western teams. If Cherokee HS could field a team of ALL their tribe members they would be tough for anybody to beat...Trouble is, that is all but impossible to do, to get enough of these quality players together in the same year. Finally, No, ACR does NOT belong on that list of teams in any way, shape or form. THEY ARE one of those "teams off the mountain" as far as anybody around here is concerned. Just as much as Shelby South Point and Crest, if not more so.
"While ACR does have their fair share of African-American players," You dont mean to tell us !!! Of course they arent playing at the skill positions though. Right?
Charlotte Catholic is predominantly white and they will stomp all but a handful of teams in the state in the dirt ( regardless of classification ). Ever seen a roster for CC? Where do all those kids come from? I am not accusing CC of recruiting, but I AM saying all those kids do NOT come from their district, anymore than Christ School or Carolina Day students come from theirs. DO you feel this is a fair comparison? At the college level, BYU is also predominately white, (usually) but they dont have to get all their kids from Provo either.
You say, if a kid can play he can play, regardless of race. That is a very tender notion, but the LEVEL of play is what I am speaking of, and what others mean when they use the "off the mountain" comment. And all of us know it. All of us also know Black athletes, by and large, are BETTER athletes than white athletes, with exceptions so rare as Larry Hunter finding another Larry Bird to play for WCU. There is nothing racist, inappropriate, or wrong in pointing out the obvious.

On topic but slightly off. Don't put Mountain Heritage in the same class as Swain, Murphy, Robbinsville, and ACR, or Asheville HS for that matter. All those schools have multiple State Championships. When was the last time MH won a state title? Anyway, back to your debate.

You can believe whatever you want to that will make you feel better. As far as ACR's skill players go....

QB Alex Flynn white
WR/RB Nathan St. Onge white
WR Bryson Patton white
WR JHARI Patterson black
WR Ari Williams black
WR Darien Gordon black
RB Idre Bell. Black
WR Andrew McKay white

I stand by my original statement......your color doesn't make you a good football player. You are either good or not. This discussion has gotten very old, very quickly. It is obvious you aren't going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours. Good luck to Tuscola unless you play ACR again. I will not comment on this any further because it is devolving into black vs. white and I don't think we need that on here or anywhere.

You can believe whatever you want to that will make you feel better. As far as ACR's skill players go....

QB Alex Flynn white
WR/RB Nathan St. Onge white
WR Bryson Patton white
WR JHARI Patterson black
WR Ari Williams black
WR Darien Gordon black
RB Idre Bell. Black
WR Andrew McKay white

I stand by my original statement......your color doesn't make you a good football player. You are either good or not. This discussion has gotten very old, very quickly. It is obvious you aren't going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours. Good luck to Tuscola unless you play ACR again. I will not comment on this any further because it is devolving into black vs. white and I don't think we need that on here or anywhere.

WR JHARI Patterson black
WR Ari Williams black
WR Darien Gordon black
RB Idre Bell. Black
Looks to me like those demographics an affirmation of exactly what I have been saying. 50% of ACRs skill players are black. That's FIFTY percent. If they were not there, what do you think ACR'S record would be (with your schedule?) Never mind that isnt all the talent on that team that can be (and IS) put on the field besides the ones mentioned on any down at any given point in the game that nary another team around here can match. Its hard to lose around here when you START on third base before the clock even starts. isnt it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT