ADVERTISEMENT

TUSCOLA FOOTBALL

Oct 4, 2017
Coaching change we need to bring a legacy back to the Hill !!Someone that's play there and knows the meaning of hard nose Tuscola football !!

That wouldn't be a bad idea my understanding is they have passed up on him a couple different times the 3rd time would be a charm !!He went to school at tuscola and he also played football for Doug Brooks at Tuscola so he knows the meaning and The work ethic of tuscola football the way it should be played !Looks like hes doing a real good job over at Smokey Mountain !

This is great. Yeah, bring in Ol'Red Jr. from Jackson County. I guess you didn't learn the last time. He couldn't even win at Erwin and he is another win one game for the year guy. (See TN job) Go hire a Kiefer type, someone who can out scheme every coach he faces and doesn't play politics. Not some, because he is from around here guy. If some guy comes in from down East, he should clear out the entire existing staff and get rid of the nepotism that always goes on to push out the competent head coach, so a 'good ol boy' can get it. First, that means you need to get rid of a Hall of Fame coach that won 11 games for you last year. Embarrassing. You guys are slow learners. You deserve what you get.

Reactions: BlueVols and L Boog
Seriously. Tuscola won 11 games last year. And are just one game into conference. Pursley is a great coach and gets the most out of his talent there. You all should be very happy he is there.

Reactions: WhoaMule and L Boog
Seriously. Tuscola won 11 games last year. And are just one game into conference. Pursley is a great coach and gets the most out of his talent there. You all should be very happy he is there.
Once Pursley leaves theyll realize how good of a coach he really is

Reactions: L Boog
I think Tuscola and pisgah have good coaches, the problem just don't see any talent in Haywood county right now.

I think Tuscola and pisgah have good coaches, the problem just don't see any talent in Haywood county right now.
That would be true in most countries and a lot of those counties would just love to have a team with a winning record or just get into the playoffs.Pisgah or Tuscola are not going to win state champion most every year like Shelby and neither is 98% of the teams in the state.

So, the triple option isn't hard nosed football but the spread RPO is? Ok. I think Brookshire is a very good coach as well. He has done a great job at SMHS. But, I believe you have the right guy running the program at Tuscola right now. And yes they have passed on Brookshire before. Not sure he would leave the cake job at SMHS he has now. But who knows.

Reactions: L Boog and beamer24
The coaches need to become harder on the kids it's a powder puff league at tuscola they don't even hit in practice! We need someone To come in here that's played football at Tuscola and get this program back to way it used to be !!IYou would have have to played football at Tuscola back in the seventies and eighties to understand !I don't care what anyone says tuscola has became soft !!It's time to toughen up !!If you don't win but one game a year you have to beat pisgah!

The coaches need to become harder on the kids it's a powder puff league at tuscola they don't even hit in practice! We need someone To come in here that's played football at Tuscola and get this program back to way it used to be !!IYou would have have to played football at Tuscola back in the seventies and eighties to understand !I don't care what anyone says tuscola has became soft !!It's time to toughen up !!If you don't win but one game a year you have to beat pisgah!

Nahhhh.

Pisgah is just another game. Not even a conference game now. Its more important to beat Asheville or Reynolds. Its not the 70s anymore. Get with the times man!

We need someone To come in here that's played football at Tuscola and get this program back to way it used to be !!IYou would have have to played football at Tuscola back in the seventies and eighties to understand !
Tuscola had exactly one 11 win season during the entirety of the "seventies and eighties" and have only five 11+ win seasons in the schools history. They had 11 wins last year, so it sounds like the coach did an OK job.

Were you one of the 6-7 "Yes Men" that TP had on staff for 20 years at his former stint. Part of the staff that wouldn't speak up and say "Coach with our depth and talent we should have 3-4 state rings instead of ZERO. Coach you gotta check your pride at the door and put these athletes in a position to win rings and leave that outdated and boring offense behind." Were you part of that group? If so, too bad you didn't take TP with you when they put the rest of you ol gray hairs out to pasture 5 years ago.

If teams like Rocky Mount and SP are winning rings with that offense then that's not the problem...and don't say they are more "talented" name me one player on either of those teams that's in the NFL right now or the past 20 years...AC beat Freedom with that offense last night. Freedom is coached by Jim bob Bryant from havelock...won three rings in a row for havelock.

Look man, you need to let reality set in, if you keep comparing yourself to teams like Shelby you'll always be disappointed. You don't like it? Move districts. Otherwise be happy Your coach has made the playoffs every year so far, and even beat anson and understand unless God just blesses your little mountain town you'll always run into South Points and Shelby's, and Crest's and Charlotte Catholics that are just better...change coaches all you want.

Word. They must be crazy to want to run off the coach with the 9th best active record in the state. 249-171 all time. Tuscola, Pisgah, and all the other mountain teams outside of Asheville, AC Reynolds, and Murphy have very little chance of winning a state title in football. Just don't have the speed to match up with most teams outside the mountains. Better have a solid defense with zone coverage schemes, and be able to pound the ball and control the clock to win. Tuscola has the right guy for that.

I had forgotten about the 08 Reynolds win for Keifer but to me the 3rd round win against #1 ranked Hibriten on the road is as signature as it gets. Not to mention 4-1 against Pisgah.

Still waiting on a an answer to that "signature win at Tuscola" question.

You had indicated on another thread that we have someone on our staff that could be the next head coach. I am still waiting on you to tell me who that is?Has it crossed your mind that Tuscola is just not that good of a team? Our most valuable player weighs 130 pounds. We only have one playmaker on the roster. We have too many kids playing both ways. Our best lineman is out for the year. I get your frustration about the Pisgah games; two of the four games were ours for the taking and Pursley was too conservative in my opinion. However, he is a good coach and our program is in much better shape than it was when he got here. With the kids that we have, what offense do you think we should run?.

Now you people know how we feel in Brevard,just don't have constant talent we use to have,we are fortunate to have a coach who gets what he can with so few stars on the team.....Would've given anything to have a coach like Tuscola's back in the early 90's.

Never the biggest Kiefer fan but he most certainly would change his scheme in a heartbeat to utilize the players he had. And I feel the 2008 win vs ACR kind of set the tone for the next few years so I put it ahead of the Hibeiten win.

Allens win in 2012 vs Pisgah is what stands out to me as true "signature" win. Rookie head coach with limited resources goes into Memorial Stadium with a 120 pound sophomore running back and beats a veteran HC with 100 wins in 10 years. We've never had that kind of win from TP in his four years at Tuscola.

Keep the hits coming Jubal. You were not a Kiefer fan (228 career wins) and you don't like Pursley (258 career wins), but since you love B. Allen (40-38 career record), you mention his win over a Pisgah team that had a losing record in 2012 (6-7). Your love affair with Allen and Postell is pretty funny. I am still waiting on you to tell me what offense we should be running with our personnel.

Been away for a long time, and decided to get back on here. I'm not into bashing anybody, but I feel "when" a change is made for the head job they look at Brooks from Franklin. It's time he steps up and starts coaching against the Buncombe teams year in and year out.

Not happening. His roots have gotten deep in Franklin. He ain't leaving there. Unless it is a massive pay raise, in Georgia...

I've never understood the whole "we don't care what our record is, as long as we beat _____(enter rival)".

Two of the three years AC Reynolds won a state championship, they lost to Asheville High on their home field. I doubt one Reynolds fan was thinking at the end of those seasons "who gives a damn if we won a state championship, we lost to Asheville. Fire that loser coach".

Now I know we don't have a rivalry as fierce as you guys since there are 10+ schools in buncombe county and just 2 in Haywood, but I still don't see the obsession with the "if we only win one game, it has to be that one"

Coming from a guy who’s school has the majority of their fans showing up after halftime when they don’t charge admission anymore.... yeah you wouldn’t understand.
Yea good point, I'd much rather have tuscolas fans support than actually win games.

Sounds like your dream is for tuscola to go 1-10 every year with a win over pisgah and the thousands of fans attending arriving before the game. And I don't understand?

Cougar Fans, you are all over it. Don't worry, Jubal is still hurt because his buddy Ol' Red got canned in Waynesville because he sucked. Now he wants another incompetent coach to come in that is a 'good ol boy' so they can have another .500 buddy plan again. Great point about ACR losing to Asheville, I thought about that the other day.

Cougar Fans, you are all over it. Don't worry, Jubal is still hurt because his buddy Ol' Red got canned in Waynesville because he sucked. Now he wants another incompetent coach to come in that is a 'good ol boy' so they can have another .500 buddy plan again. Great point about ACR losing to Asheville, I thought about that the other day.

I just don't get that. If someone told me "hey this upcoming week, Reynolds is going to beat you by 50 and then you'll lose the next game too, BUT you'll be practicing on thanksgiving" I'd take that before it came out of their mouth.

Were you one of the 6-7 "Yes Men" that TP had on staff for 20 years at his former stint. Part of the staff that wouldn't speak up and say "Coach with our depth and talent we should have 3-4 state rings instead of ZERO. Coach you gotta check your pride at the door and put these athletes in a position to win rings and leave that outdated and boring offense behind." Were you part of that group? If so, too bad you didn't take TP with you when they put the rest of you ol gray hairs out to pasture 5 years ago.
Pursley has coached his teams into the playoffs 23 consecutive seasons in the years he coached (likely 24 after this year).

Not to mention that all that "depth and talent" at NE Guilford hasn't produced a winning season since Pursley left in 2012 and managed only nine wins in 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016 combined. Also, NEG had 1 winning season in the 5 years prior to Pursley arriving then went 20 years without another losing season until he left (again, they've had 4 losing seasons in the 4 years since he left).

I don't know what your ax to grind is with Pursley, but your examples of why he's not a good coach just don't make any sense.

Reactions: L Boog and beamer24
Yeah this guy doesn't make any sense.

You think tuscola deserves a "significant win" because of what??? I'm sorry the talent isn't flowing right now, heck my team ain't all that hot either. Several polls have ACR behind Crest...Im calling BS on that right now.

The point is you gotta take the good with the bad, tuscola will be fine. You just have to be patient.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT