ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscola 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a great hire, congrats Coach and looking forward to some exciting Mountie Football in the future!!

30-60 career record with 6 losing seasons in 8 overall seasons as a head coach at 3 different high schools (Smoky Mtn, Erwin, John Battle). Has left abruptly at every stop along the way and every one of those teams have improved tremendously after he left their program and a new coach took over. These are just facts. Don't kill me. Just because you're a great guy doesn't mean you're a great coach. (Before you ask why I even care, although I will always bleed red and black, I live in Waynesville now and my kid(s) will be attending and playing at Tuscola, so I do care). All trolling aside, I don't know how anyone could be happy about this. Was there not anyone else possibly more qualified for the job? Someone that don't go way back with the principal? No coach with a winning record? No coach with better overall resume from a prominent school didn't put in for it? No coach that had a history of turning programs around? No coach that had proved that he can stay in one place long enough to get the community engaged? A lot of other questions that need to be asked too. I'd think the job would have been pretty sought after on a state level and I can't fathom that choosing a coach with a career .333 winning percentage is the right answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealityRulz
Congratulations Coach Brookshire! I just hope for your sake all these a called "supporters" are still supporting you after your 1st two games this fall. They are extremely, how should I say it, fickle!

30-60 career record with 6 losing seasons in 8 overall seasons as a head coach at 3 different high schools (Smoky Mtn, Erwin, John Battle). Has left abruptly at every stop along the way and every one of those teams have improved tremendously after he left their program and a new coach took over. These are just facts. Don't kill me. Just because you're a great guy doesn't mean you're a great coach. (Before you ask why I even care, although I will always bleed red and black, I live in Waynesville now and my kid(s) will be attending and playing at Tuscola, so I do care). All trolling aside, I don't know how anyone could be happy about this. Was there not anyone else possibly more qualified for the job? Someone that don't go way back with the principal? No coach with a winning record? No coach with better overall resume from a prominent school didn't put in for it? No coach that had a history of turning programs around? No coach that had proved that he can stay in one place long enough to get the community engaged? A lot of other questions that need to be asked too. I'd think the job would have been pretty sought after on a state level and I can't fathom that choosing a coach with a career .333 winning percentage is the right answer.

Excellent post, this is all true, I find it interesting when you post facts, they get removed. This will end up being like the last two inside deal hires. A train wreck. I want Coach Brookshire to win, but in the past, he has shown no ability to handle any pressure in a head coaching position and then leaving in the dead of night to take another job. I wish the guy well, but it is amazing this many people are so hung up on a local hire, good old boy candidate that they settle every time, because they are uncomfortable with hiring the unknown. In all fairness, there were several people offered the job and they turned it down. So this, he was the first choice is not even remotely true. I am pretty sure Tuscola had around 20+ applicants, how many applicants had a 30% winning percentage. One, that is how many.

Reactions: Clarity
Hey Pisgahcatamount what is your talent level up there ? How many applicants did they have for this opening? Head coach definitely needs some good or great assistants and let’s admit they sure don’t do it for the dollars per hour. Give the man a chance l guess. Sounds like he’s been around football a long time. He must love the game. It’s a shame the coaches aren’t as smart as us fans.

Reactions: rollmounties
Congrats Coach Brookshire! He is getting a chance to go home and turn around the program. I hope they help him with hiring quality assistants. This was not done at SM. When promises are broken by the Administration this leads to a quick exit. Case in point is what happened for a coach recently in SC. If the support is there Tuscola will be good again. Just beat Pisgah!

If Asheville and Murphy had went by past records they would never have hired Coach Wilkins and coach Gentry.

If Asheville and Murphy had went by past records they would never have hired Coach Wilkins and coach Gentry.
Well, I guess everyone should just hire a proven loser then because it worked at Asheville & Murphy? Sound logic. Lol. Also, by that same logic, you're saying that Tuscola and C.B. are about to win multiple state championships and dominate everyone in WNC for years and years to come! Okie dokie...

Well, I guess everyone should just hire a proven loser then because it worked at Asheville & Murphy? Sound logic. Lol. Also, by that same logic, you're saying that Tuscola and C.B. are about to win multiple state championships and dominate everyone in WNC for years and years to come! Okie dokie...

No I never said that and you know it.What I meant was a coach is just as good as his talent.
I remember Carroll Wright was asked how much credit should a high school coach get if his team wins.His answer was about 20% .He then said it's about 20% fault for a coach if you lose.
The thing I don't understand why you and all those other wanna be high coaches didn't put in for the job.After all you were a heck of player at Pisgah.On the last team that had a good shot at winning it all.

No I never said that and you know it.What I meant was a coach is just as good as his talent.
I remember Carroll Wright was asked how much credit should a high school coach get if his team wins.His answer was about 20% .He then said it's about 20% fault for a coach if you lose.
The thing I don't understand why you and all those other wanna be high coaches didn't put in for the job.After all you were a heck of player at Pisgah.On the last team that had a good shot at winning it all.
In all honesty, I wouldn't be willing to take the pay cut that I would have to take to put in for this job. Also, I don't have a background in education. So, that might be a problem! Lol. And lastly, I apologize for putting words in your mouth and for stealing this thread. Carry on fellas...

Reactions: Mavrick69
HCS creates a new position to hire a PE teacher-aka football coach. That makes 6 PE teachers for a class that 975 students have to take only once in 4 years. There are only about 7 academic teachers in each core subject which all students have to take every year. Love the priorities of HCS.

HCS creates a new position to hire a PE teacher-aka football coach. That makes 6 PE teachers for a class that 975 students have to take only once in 4 years. There are only about 7 academic teachers in each core subject which all students have to take every year. Love the priorities of HCS.
Im really loving all the troll accounts that have come out of the woodwork recently. Care to share your interest and affiliation? You really waited since november to make this your second post?

Reactions: Steelers71
Im really loving all the troll accounts that have come out of the woodwork recently. Care to share your interest and affiliation? You really waited since november to make this your second post?
You have a problem with facts that indicate the priorities of HCS?

That 30k gate for home games when the team is good sure does help with funding all the academic programs at the school too. Football is pretty important to the culture of a school. An extra PE position is not a big deal when hiring a quality coach.

Reactions: Mavrick69
That 30k gate for home games when the team is good sure does help with funding all the academic programs at the school too. Football is pretty important to the culture of a school. An extra PE position is not a big deal when hiring a quality coach.
Somehow I don’t think that gate money ever makes its way to helping academic programs.

Somehow I don’t think that gate money ever makes its way to helping academic programs.
I'm not completely sure but I don't think athletic money goes towards academics at all, only towards other athletic programs, facilities, and all other athletic expenses.

Reactions: Clarity
I'm not completely sure but I don't think athletic money goes towards academics at all, only towards other athletic programs, facilities, and all other athletic expenses.

Usually at some schools money is disbursed to athletic programs and needs first from gates. Then sometimes it is used to help supplement other programs around school. Maybe not straight to academics but to programs that may be offered after school. Or maybe none of it goes there. Still, it's pretty callous to be upset about hiring a PE teacher/coach position. Whatever. Good luck CB!

None of the schools extracurricular programs are funded by athletic money that I know of, and they are forced to fund raise, I've had a kid involved in chorus and they are allowed no funding from athletics and the principal always made that clear. Atletics are a different entity all together, if they want any new stuff it ain't coming from athletic money ever, only through fund raising with the booster club of the specific program, and not many businesses are available after the athletic department gobbles up their sponsors for the season. I'm not complaining, it's just a reality of what makes money, I can understand that. I don't know where the money to pay a coach may come from, I can imagine the big T club is able to raise money and provide some type of incentive.

What is really crazy is that the school forces the choral program to pay for a janitor, because it is required for any after school function, and that janitor is on overtime and it has to be paid by the choral booster funds.

Fair statement, but what makes you think the Administration actually gives a damn about football? We just hired a guy that anyone of the street would have a higher winning percentage than he will. I appreciate your passion, but obviously the powers that be don't really care about winning either. I am guessing you are a teacher, if so, great for you and we all appreciate all you do for the kids. I respect you and that is a job that I could not do.You should take the HC stipend and Coach the football team, I am sure you can win 3 out of 10 games for 8 years too. We appreciate you coming on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: seadog28
I know what I can't wait for. Week 3 in Canton! Then at that time, we will see where all of these new found Tuscola, die hard, loyal to the bone, through thick and thin, got your back no matter what comes our way supporters are. This is too funny! All of the same people that was yelling for Coach Postell to take the job were the very ones that was calling for his head. Coach Postell, come on over to the dark side this fall and get sweet revenge! You will like us better anyway. We actually do stick together!

I know what I can't wait for. Week 3 in Canton! Then at that time, we will see where all of these new found Tuscola, die hard, loyal to the bone, through thick and thin, got your back no matter what comes our way supporters are. This is too funny! All of the same people that was yelling for Coach Postell to take the job were the very ones that was calling for his head. Coach Postell, come on over to the dark side this fall and get sweet revenge! You will like us better anyway. We actually do stick together!
Really..we don't need him to come to Canton to get sweet revenge on anybody for anything

Wish coach brookshire the best . If he doesn’t get someone to coach up the defense and stress fundamentals he will not have success. In his newspaper article he said he learned what’s important from Doug Brooks ! If he did and applies it that’s good enough for me. Jmo

https://www.themountaineer.com/spor...cle_909884e2-3706-11ea-be6b-fb2cc4fed0c7.html

I know we are somewhat underwhelmed, but I cant lie, I like what I'm hearing and hope to see some excellent results on the field.

I know the reporter for The Mountaineer is young and learning his craft, but Journalism 101 is to be accurate in your reporting. The article states that Chris turned the program around, but it was Travis Noland who inherited a program that had went 0-21 in the two years prior to him arriving. Travis rebuilt a dead program and had a 29-26 record at Erwin then Chris came in after Travis and went 17-38 at Erwin. Just giving credit where credit is due.

Shine, don't forget it is the same reporter who said he was "wildly successful' at Smoky Mountain. Since when did a 30% winning percentage become wildly successful. The only thing wildly successful is Admin sending morons up to The Hill to hire their buddies. I hope he wins and proves me wrong, but we all know the answer to this. (As Pisgah fans sit smoking cigars and drinking Bud Light's on the river bank laughing.)

Yeah, I got a kick out of that article too. I also like how they make him out to look like a record breaking offensive genius for what he done at Smoky before he bailed. He was 12-12 in 2 seasons. Going 7-5 first season then 5-7 the next with multiple blowouts against him. So, he actually regressed. Since then, Brindley is 16-8 in the last 2 seasons at Smoky. Going 8-4 both years and has established an offense much better than anything C.B. has ever produced and has broke any records that his teams set. I'm not trying to belittle what he's done anywhere either, I'm just trying to give credit where credit is due too. You can't believe everything you read, sometimes you've got to do your own due diligence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT