ADVERTISEMENT

Travel ball!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have anyone playing bb at varsity level, but my nephew is starting up in SC playing and my sister was doing some research on it. So I'm just trying to see if others think this is good thing or bad. I don't care for it but my sister won't listen to me. I assure you I'm not trying to cause the same trouble that was on the other thread. I would like to know everyone's opinion on this matter thanks.

I know your upset with me because you keep quoting me. I'm not trying to start anything on any other thread. I started the one thread about Daddy Ball, but I did not say that about your son. I'm sorry that was said about your son. I don't think that about your son. I immediately spoke out against Tigerdaddy and said that was wrong. I have a guess who that was. I do have interest in travel ball just in the context I said in this thread. You can accept that or not. I don't completely hate travel ball but I think it can be done in a wrong way. I personally think you have done travel ball correctly you have allowed other people to coach your son and I have seen tremendous growth in your son. Good luck.

I know your upset with me because you keep quoting me. I'm not trying to start anything on any other thread. I started the one thread about Daddy Ball, but I did not say that about your son. I'm sorry that was said about your son. I don't think that about your son. I immediately spoke out against Tigerdaddy and said that was wrong. I have a guess who that was. I do have interest in travel ball just in the context I said in this thread. You can accept that or not. I don't completely hate travel ball but I think it can be done in a wrong way. I personally think you have done travel ball correctly you have allowed other people to coach your son and I have seen tremendous growth in your son. Good luck.
No one upset I keep quoting you because you’ve been given opinions on travel ball & you keep on. I mean like where are you going with it? Chances are unless you were born last night you already know the “world of travel ball or any other travel sport for that matter. I do find it strange you have that many “facts” about a lot of things & you hide behind a computer with “no balls” to address it with the problem area & who are you to think your such a know it all about how sports should be done right or wrong. I mean chances are if your hiding behind a screen your no expert. Right? I mean I don’t even know if what we’re doing in the world of travel ball is right or wrong. So I’m not sure how you do. I’ll let you know in a couple years. I mean as a parent we just hope we make the right decisions that’s all you can do. Travel sports in general are plain & simple you either play them or you don’t not many questions to be asked it’s not rocket science.

Which comment about travel ball are you upset about? The facts I spoke about were on the other thread, are you telling me they were not true?

I don't care for travel bb mainly because it's hard on kids arms. I have seen too many kids need Tommy John surgery. I watched a great ESPN 30 for 30 for this and they spoke with top doc in Atlanta and he stated that surgery is on the rise because of travel bb. That's my biggest reason for not liking it but I'm unclear which of my travel ball comment on other thread upset you. As far as my facts your silence is golden. And I have addressed those problems before I left the Brevard game, but your talking about Rosman look how long they kept Freddie, with as many complaints as they had, so I'm definitely not hiding. This is a message board where the majority of the people on here give opinions, do I think you got a raw deal from TigerDaddy absolutely, but I can't solve what someone else said on here, sorry.

Speaking of the 30 for 30 on ESPN about travel ball did anyone else see that? It featured John Smoltz, top orthopedic dr, and several coaches. It was great. It followed several kids around who play travel bb year round. It's very well done I would definitely recommend it. It's an eye opener for parents getting ready to start travel bb.

Not 30 for 30 but fox sports the program was called Chasing the Dream. It's not totally for or against travel bb it gives several different opinions. But it is a great program.

I don't have a link but if you Google it should come up. It great little news story. The kids it follows are mainly playing out of Cobb Co.

When you Google be sure to put travel baseball chasing the dream. Or you will get some chick flick movie come up. If you get to watch it Baseballfan155 let me know what you think? Thanks

Last edited:
Whether you like it or not you if you ever want to play at the next level in baseball just playing 1a high school baseball isnt gonna do it for you. Only way to get noticed is by playing good travel baseball.

Whether you like it or not you if you ever want to play at the next level in baseball just playing 1a high school baseball isnt gonna do it for you. Only way to get noticed is by playing good travel baseball.
My son played travel for parts of 7 years. On a couple of very good teams. Also played rec ball in spring every year. The combination of these helped him to become a pretty good player as well as still having community roots. Not saying this is perfect but has worked well for him.

As far as needing to play "travel" to get noticed...

If you can play they will find you. Travel, legion, even 1A high school. Colleges will find you if you have the skills for the next level.

My son played travel for parts of 7 years. On a couple of very good teams. Also played rec ball in spring every year. The combination of these helped him to become a pretty good player as well as still having community roots. Not saying this is perfect but has worked well for him.

As far as needing to play "travel" to get noticed...

If you can play they will find you. Travel, legion, even 1A high school. Colleges will find you if you have the skills for the next level.

This is inaccurate. College coaches are not coming to high school baseball, softball, or basketball games to find kids. The only time they show up for those high school games after they have already found the kid on the travel circuit, to show support. There is no recruiting going on by watching high school sports, and it is only the best travel ball tournaments that have the college scouts.

Reactions: 13bc9fc
This is inaccurate. College coaches are not coming to high school baseball, softball, or basketball games to find kids. The only time they show up for those high school games after they have already found the kid on the travel circuit, to show support. There is no recruiting going on by watching high school sports, and it is only the best travel ball tournaments that have the college scouts.
While I agree that the TOP travel ball tournaments do have a FEW college scouts attend I know for a fact that many "showcase" tournaments often only have parents and umpires watching.

I am not sure why you say my post is inaccurate. No less than seven games my son has participated in this spring have had a college scout there. Two of those games were the first time a scout had been to see the player. SEVERAL legion games I have been to have had college scouts present.

So no my statement was not inaccurate. As I said if you are good enough they will come. Having a coach who gets the player's name out there does help but travel ball is definitely not the only way to play in college.

Here is my take and this gets me a little angry! To me part of the high school coaches job is to network with college coaches and to help get their players into colleges. The High School coaches need to start to do a better job!

To say that college coaches never show up to high school games is very very inaccurate! I was at 4 high school games in the past two weeks! UNCA, USC-Lancaster, UNC Charlotte, and Winthrop all were at at least one of those games!

Unless you are on a "legit" Travel ball team you are not going to be seen! If it is something a dad has put together and you have no talent nobody is going to show up to those games!

I don't know what they have in North Carolina but Diamond Prospects in South Carolina puts on fall and summer showcases and only costs you $100 and college coaches and MLB scouts are there! Do they have anything like that in NC?

Going back to the coaching thing! I am a Legion coach in South Carolina! I called up a local Juco and said this kid is trying to go there and play! Be a great asset to your program! Signed him in the next 3 days!

The players need to preform well and coaches need to advocate for the kids and have contacts with college coaches!

Reactions: TigerDen2
Both my son and daughter have both played travel ball. Off and on for about 10 years between the two. Here's my opinion.

1. Playing 3 or 4 weekends a month from March to November is too much wear and tear on the body.
2. Too many parents decide their son or daughter will be discovered in 4th grade. If they don't think the coach is giving his son or daughter a fair shake the move to the next team or start their own program.
3. Any of the well known programs have multiple levels. In most cases the A team is funded by the b c and d level parents. The A team has the recruiters coming to their games.
4. The people who put on the tournaments are the ones making a killing.
Just my thoughts

Both my son and daughter have both played travel ball. Off and on for about 10 years between the two. Here's my opinion.

1. Playing 3 or 4 weekends a month from March to November is too much wear and tear on the body.
2. Too many parents decide their son or daughter will be discovered in 4th grade. If they don't think the coach is giving his son or daughter a fair shake the move to the next team or start their own program.
3. Any of the well known programs have multiple levels. In most cases the A team is funded by the b c and d level parents. The A team has the recruiters coming to their games.
Just my thoughts
^^^^THIS!!!

Perfectly said.

Couple of other thoughts. Try to find a program that doesn't have a coach with a son or daughter on the team. Also do your homework. If it was a program that was a fracture of four or five families from another team move on in most cases. If your son or daughter are good enough, people will talk or they'll notice talent. You'll learn some of the better programs are and how they run things. Most importantly... Allow your kids to have fun at younger ages. For boys, when the get to 60/90 the cream will rise. For girls, 12U and 14U yoully start to see the kids that can really play.

I'm a firm believer that regardless of travel ball or not, make room for other sports.

Exactly. My son played all three major sports in HS for four years.

Finding a team that has a coach who doesn't have a player on team is difficult when they are young. As you say when the child/athlete is older the ones left playing travel often are "the cream of the crop". Finding teams with unbiased coaches becomes much easier. However also becomes much more expensive unless the athlete is on an "A" team.

Think the most important point you have made FB is the have fun one.

Parents don't live through your children. Let them be their own person.

Guarantee it will pay off in the long run both athletics wise and growth into adulthood for your child.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm definitely a big fan of playing different sports.

Just my thoughts
Exactly. I think travel ball is doable you just have to be smart about it. Thanks.

You can find teams with a parent that coaches that don't hold their kids to a different standard. If they have 3 or 4 openings each summer and fall and it's not due to birthdays move on

My opinon if the dad is coaching travel baseball then no scouts are going to look at your son. You go to East Cobb only the well know teams are going to have scouts at those games.

Travel baseball was marginally created so the college levels players could go to these tournys and show off for the college coaches. Then two things happened. 1. Kids that didn't make these teams had daddy go and create them so they had a chance to play! 2. Tourney organizers noticed they could make big money off Daddy and wanted all these kids to play!

Another word of advice, if your son is a junior in high school and hitting below .275 he most likely not going to play in college. We have kids hitting under .200 in high school with a lot of plate appearances playing travel ball. Safe your money!

Side note: I think college coaches have a little bit to do with this and I don't blame them. I can go to East Cobb, Fort Myers or Arizona and watch some of these travel ball tournys to see all this talent in one place. Why run to all these Legion games to see 1-2 guys when I can see 100 in a weekend.

Right on the money baseballfan. This is what happens with Rosmans local travel ball team.

I have ? When does travel baseball start for high school kids. Is it right after season ends?If so is that safe on arms. Or do they get a break and start up mid July? And how long does the summer season last. Also just heard some play thru fall. So that would put some kids playing about 9 mths of baseball? Is that right?

Be careful Den. You are stepping on a lot of toes in Rosman. I actually agree with what your saying. Pretty much everything you said is true. Varsity team should be better, playing baseball year round. I get what your saying, but some people don't take well to being criticized. They think your Stewart's parents, since you talk so well about him. Which I told them that was absurd.Because anybody that knows them, should no better. That's why they were talking about you being at Murphy game. Cause they said Luke's dad was there.

Be careful Den. You are stepping on a lot of toes in Rosman. I actually agree with what your saying. Pretty much everything you said is true. Varsity team should be better, playing baseball year round. I get what your saying, but some people don't take well to being criticized. They think your Stewart's parents, since you talk so well about him. Which I told them that was absurd.Because anybody that knows them, should no better. That's why they were talking about you being at Murphy game. Cause they said Luke's dad was there.
I know they think that. They forget Rosman is a small town, so gossip/drama travels fast. I talk about Luke because he is a great kid and makes it easy to talk about him. I'm an old school coach. Respect is #1 for me. That kid has it in spades. If you ask anybody in SMC who Luke Stewart is?they would have nothing but great things to say about that kid. Am I Luke's parents. No. Will they believe this no. I know exactly what they were trying to do on the other thread with brevardgirl. I asked the Murphy fan how we did because I legitimately was not there will they believe it no. Hate it for the Stewart's.

I know they think that. They forget Rosman is a small town, so gossip/drama travels fast. I talk about Luke because he is a great kid and makes it easy to talk about him. I'm an old school coach. Respect is #1 for me. That kid has it in spades. If you ask anybody in SMC who Luke Stewart is?they would have nothing but great things to say about that kid. Am I Luke's parents. No. Will they believe this no. I know exactly what they were trying to do on the other thread with brevardgirl. I asked the Murphy fan how we did because I legitimately was not there will they believe it no. Hate it for the Stewart's.

What do I have to do with this thread? Not a darn thing. Leave me out of this call out round. You were too worried about who I am and why I have the blasphemy name of Brevard in my screen name. Don’t worry about me and leave me out of this drama. Glad someone who figured out who I am let me know I was on this thread. Anyway. Back to y’all arguing.

And back to making no sense Brevardgirl. You actually started that name thing.lol you told me to look you up.

Look up the fact I’ve had this name forever. That’s what I said. Quit deflecting the drama on me. Seems there’s plenty of it with who you are or are not. I haven’t said a word on this thread so leave me out of it. The rest of NC is prob laughing at the stupid continuous threads about how tigerden2 is bashing Rosman, the coach, the program, travel ball, etc.

Look up the fact I’ve had this name forever. That’s what I said. Quit deflecting the drama on me. Seems there’s plenty of it with who you are or are not. I haven’t said a word on this thread so leave me out of it. The rest of NC is prob laughing at the stupid continuous threads about how tigerden2 is bashing Rosman, the coach, the program, travel ball, etc.
You got one thing right all this is drama. But you are just as guilty as the others. So quit acting innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT