ADVERTISEMENT

Tough sledding for Page this season

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
Looks like Page will end up 0-3 after tonight's game.

Page fans, students, parents, alumni, and admin need to give Robertson time and support. It is going to be a tough season, but I have full confidence in the coaching staff to right the ship soon. I know Page is a tough place to lose football games, but things will get better!

The problem is every player at Page transferred to Grimsley. Grimsley pulled one out of the Coach Roscoe playbook. Find what you need and have your players talk those kids into coming to Grimsley. Coach Brown has stripped Page Bone dry. I think every player that plays a skilled position at Grimsley transferred from Page except for Curtain who was at HPC or

• Haha
Reactions: PagePirates44
it is pretty funny how 4 of Grimsley's best players this year transferred from Page.
Lets be honest after watching Grimsley play HPC they'd be trash if not for the Page players. They have the QB 2 RBs 2 WRs and let's not forget the D1 TE all from Page last year. On top of that they got the best player from Southwest Guilford. Coach Brown is recruiting players in Greensboro harder than Nick Saban.

• Wow
Lets be honest after watching Grimsley play HPC they'd be trash if not for the Page players. They have the QB 2 RBs 2 WRs and let's not forget the D1 TE all from Page last year. On top of that they got the best player from Southwest Guilford. Coach Brown is recruiting players in Greensboro harder than Nick Saban.

Off topic, but I'd like Grimsley vs Dudley

Lawson Albright, the TE that I believe you are speaking of, was at Grimsley last season. Either way, it is pretty messed up that people are trying to put the "recruiting" tag on a program when they have no proof of that.

Funny.. whose fault is it really when kids transfer? Is it the program, starting w/ the AD? Is it the kids talking or is it that the kids look across wendover and see a better program w/ DI players? Either way, the grass is not always greener but it is in this case.

So, why would a coach leave Page? A historically good program?

When coaches leave, the AD needs to meet w/ kids and do all he/she can to ensure they stay.

Reactions: RammanuelKant
Kids transfer for many different reasons. In this case I don't think it was because someone talked them into it. Also, Page already had at least one D1 player and from what I can tell Grimsley only had two confirmed that would be playing this year. Not a huge difference. No, the grass is not always greener, but sometimes it is.

Why would a coach leave Page? More money, better work environment, maybe they were asked to leave? Could be a lot of different reasons.

Lastly, how do you know that the AD didn't talk to the kids that left?

I agree but pay wise from come to wendover and is not a huge difference if any.

Kids may have been enamored with the Albright name at Grimsley..as far as AD not talking to them I have no idea but from someone inside the program they weren’t (at least this past year).

Lawson Albright, the TE that I believe you are speaking of, was at Grimsley last season. Either way, it is pretty messed up that people are trying to put the "recruiting" tag on a program when they have no proof of that.

He still transferred from Walter Hines Page Senior High School...

Funny.. whose fault is it really when kids transfer? Is it the program, starting w/ the AD? Is it the kids talking or is it that the kids look across wendover and see a better program w/ DI players? Either way, the grass is not always greener but it is in this case.

So, why would a coach leave Page? A historically good program?

When coaches leave, the AD needs to meet w/ kids and do all he/she can to ensure they stay.

Rolfes was fired from the Page job because he underperformed for 3 years and was not the type of coach that Page initially wanted. Coach Gillespie took the Asheboro job very late in the summer in 2017 and there were not very many options for Page to pick from. So, they took a gamble on a youngish/inexperienced Rolfes, who did not grow the program, instead it declined. When a program goes through that kind of turmoil, its easy for kids to transfer to a better situation aka Grimsley.

I highly doubt Coach Brown and the other staff at Grimsley were actually recruiting, more than likely it is because Grimsley gives those players the chance to be seen and written about more in the newspapers and be seen by college coaches and recruiting services because they are winning now, and Page isn't... it is what it is.

So to answer your question, It is mostly Rolfes's fault.

Rolfes was fired from the Page job because he underperformed for 3 years and was not the type of coach that Page initially wanted. Coach Gillespie took the Asheboro job very late in the summer in 2017 and there were not very many options for Page to pick from. So, they took a gamble on a youngish/inexperienced Rolfes, who did not grow the program, instead it declined. When a program goes through that kind of turmoil, its easy for kids to transfer to a better situation aka Grimsley.

I highly doubt Coach Brown and the other staff at Grimsley were actually recruiting, more than likely it is because Grimsley gives those players the chance to be seen and written about more in the newspapers and be seen by college coaches and recruiting services because they are winning now, and Page isn't... it is what it is.

So to answer your question, It is mostly Rolfes's fault.

Albright did transfer, but his dad is the AD so you can't blame him. Yes, Page has had down years, but the name "Page" still carries a lot of weight in the Greensboro area. Also, when it comes to scholarships they can be had from attending camps in the off season. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that a couple of the kids that transferred had D1 offers before ever playing a game at Grimsley. Also, remember, Grimsley wasn't that good not too long ago. It will be interesting to see what the current Page Coach can do.

Albright did transfer, but his dad is the AD so you can't blame him. Yes, Page has had down years, but the name "Page" still carries a lot of weight in the Greensboro area. Also, when it comes to scholarships they can be had from attending camps in the off season. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that a couple of the kids that transferred had D1 offers before ever playing a game at Grimsley. Also, remember, Grimsley wasn't that good not too long ago. It will be interesting to see what the current Page Coach can do.

No matter what you say, it still doesn't change fact. Grimsley's best players on offense all came from Page and it isn't even close.

Reactions: Warhead1
Guess they better best Grimsley or it’s a wrap. Think about this and I know It’s high school BUT how many Cleveland Browns coaches were fired after losing to their RIVAL Pittsburgh for 2-3 years in a row....quite a few. If Page maintains mediocrity and can’t beat Grimsley not good no matter who is coaching. That rivalry is that big and so big they have argued about who has the biggest football budget!

Rolfes under preformed? 1st yr he lost to Mallard Creek in 3rd rd finished 11-2. Next yr won 9 games but had to forfeit 3 because administrators and AD didn't follow up on who was eligible. Lost in the Playoffs to the team who almost won the West 4a in Porter Ridge. 2019 he had a down year. Over 3 years he had more wins than anyone in the conference. So, now Page is firing coaches for 1 down year? So your under performance arguments is invalid because Page is absolutely awful right now. Who's getting fired this year?

As for recruiting at Grimsley yes they are. Every Page skill player left and went to the same school. The QB left 1st and the AD is the Dad of the TE that left Page the year before. If you don't think the AD is telling these kids how to get eligible you're out of your mind. So, you're telling me everyone of these families Sold their homes and moved to Grimsley's district? 2 RBs 2 WRs 1 TE 1 QB all left Page for Grimsley. Let's not forget the D1 WR from Southwest Guilford. Because in Guilford County thats the only way you can transfer. They don't have open enrollment like Forsyth.

Rolfes under preformed? 1st yr he lost to Mallard Creek in 3rd rd finished 11-2. Next yr won 9 games but had to forfeit 3 because administrators and AD didn't follow up on who was eligible. Lost in the Playoffs to the team who almost won the West 4a in Porter Ridge. 2019 he had a down year. Over 3 years he had more wins than anyone in the conference. So, now Page is firing coaches for 1 down year? So your under performance arguments is invalid because Page is absolutely awful right now. Who's getting fired this year?

As for recruiting at Grimsley yes they are. Every Page skill player left and went to the same school. The QB left 1st and the AD is the Dad of the TE that left Page the year before. If you don't think the AD is telling these kids how to get eligible you're out of your mind. So, you're telling me everyone of these families Sold their homes and moved to Grimsley's district? 2 RBs 2 WRs 1 TE 1 QB all left Page for Grimsley. Let's not forget the D1 WR from Southwest Guilford. Because in Guilford County thats the only way you can transfer. They don't have open enrollment like Forsyth.

Actually, in Guilford County there are legal ways of attending schools that aren't your home school. Also, you can't blame the Albright kid, his dad is the AD. Something that people don't seem to get is that most high school coaches don't look at these kids with as much high regard as we think they do. As a matter of fact having a team that "is down" might be a high school coaches dream. If you take a team that isn't suppose to win and you put in respectable showings or win six or seven games you are "winning". On the other hand, take a team that has a ton of talent, but doesn't win their conference or go far in the playoffs..............not so good. Either way, I don't blame Grimsley for any of this.

There are legal ways to beat the system as you just said. I guarantee you that kids are telling the other kids how to beat the system after talking to coach Brown or the AD. Some teams will get 1 maybe 2 transfers a yr and ok cool whatever. But to get every kid that started in a skill position from Page in 2019 along with the best player from Southwest Guilford and from what an assistant coach at Page was telling me there are 2 or 3 other transfers from other schools inside of Guilford County! Grimsley offense was going to be awful this year and they went out and got 6 or 7 transfers to fill the holes they needed..... Not one of those kids transferred for education.... they all left to play football and the Grimsley coaches and ADs had their hands in it. Which goes back to my original argument they are recruiting kids for football. If they can do it an get away with it more power to them.... but let's not sit here and act like this is something organic that they built.

If you attended the games, you would have seen the differences from the Gillespie era, and you would have seen the decline, even in the first year. ANYONE, including my grandma, could have came in as coach and won 10+ games that first year.. i knew if we didnt make a quick change that things would get worse and they did, but Page isnt the type of place to fire a guy after a year, we like to give someone some time to prove themselves... the argument is not invalid. I was calling for Rolfes to be fired after that first year. With regards to where Page should be performing, he underperformed and the program started declining even in that first year and especially the 2nd year.. if you remember the situation, the eligibility issue was mostly on Rolfes as well, every Page head coach in the past MADE SURE HIS players were academically eligible, and if they didn't.. we know what happened. (i don't really want to open that can of worms again). I could write a loooong laundry list of undisciplined, uncharacteristic, and just plan ole bad football that we saw once Rolfes took over, I saw it with my own eyes, and so did every other Page diehard.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the previous Page coach, but I do know about the current one. He won me over when, on his first day as Thomasville’s coach, he told the players, “if you don’t do what you need to do between 8 and 3, I don’t need you between 3 and 8.” Probably lost a few kids with his stress on character and discipline. But the kids he had were well coached, disciplined and would run through a wall for him. Coach Robertson is a winner.

There are legal ways to beat the system as you just said. I guarantee you that kids are telling the other kids how to beat the system after talking to coach Brown or the AD. Some teams will get 1 maybe 2 transfers a yr and ok cool whatever. But to get every kid that started in a skill position from Page in 2019 along with the best player from Southwest Guilford and from what an assistant coach at Page was telling me there are 2 or 3 other transfers from other schools inside of Guilford County! Grimsley offense was going to be awful this year and they went out and got 6 or 7 transfers to fill the holes they needed..... Not one of those kids transferred for education.... they all left to play football and the Grimsley coaches and ADs had their hands in it. Which goes back to my original argument they are recruiting kids for football. If they can do it an get away with it more power to them.... but let's not sit here and act like this is something organic that they built.

Kids transfer for a lot of reasons. Usually when you recruit a player you have to offer them something that they couldn't get at their current school. Most of those kids would have been starters at their home schools and at least a couple already had D1 offers. Maybe some of the blame should be placed on what Page and other schools didn't or wouldn't do to keep those kids in-house. Like I mentioned before, coaches don't look at these kids the same as the fan base does.

I don’t know about the previous Page coach, but I do know about the current one. He won me over when, on his first day as Thomasville’s coach, he told the players, “if you don’t do what you need to do between 8 and 3, I don’t need you between 3 and 8.” Probably lost a few kids with his stress on character and discipline. But the kids he had were well coached, disciplined and would run through a wall for him. Coach Robertson is a winner.

Most of the kids that are being pointed out for transferring are high character kids that work year round to be better players. Any coach would be happy to have them as part of their program.

Most of the kids that are being pointed out for transferring are high character kids that work year round to be better players. Any coach would be happy to have them as part of their program.
I wasn’t referring to the Page kids, but that he probably lost some at Thomasville who weren’t willing to put in the work or maintain the necessary discipline.

Guess they better best Grimsley or it’s a wrap. Think about this and I know It’s high school BUT how many Cleveland Browns coaches were fired after losing to their RIVAL Pittsburgh for 2-3 years in a row....quite a few. If Page maintains mediocrity and can’t beat Grimsley not good no matter who is coaching. That rivalry is that big and so big they have argued about who has the biggest football budget!
Page will be back... it might take a few years, and you better get us now while you can. Do I need to post the all time records for ya!?!?!?!?

Reactions: Warhead1
The Greensboro All Star Team looked good again tonight against NWG. I wonder who they'll get in Free Agency this summer. I guess we'll have to check their travel 7v7 team and see!

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT