ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Head Coaches

Lance Ware-Shelby
Battle Holley-East Duplin
Antonio Moore-Northeastern
Jim Teague-Reidsville

In no particular order

2A (only current HC)

Lance Ware, Shelby HS- Coach Ware and his Golden Lions just win and play for State Championships each year. If you are going to win the 2AA West your going to have to beat Coach Ware and the Golden Lions to do it. Still 10 years away from retirement Coach Ware could challenge some of the coaching records in the state before he calls it a career.

James Teague, Reidsville HS- Coach Teague is a Hall of Fame Coach without question and it is not close just a matter of time. His teams offensively are some of the best and most creative in the States History. He was a play away from winning last years 2A State Title in what might have been the game of the year.

Clay Lewis, Hibriten HS- Coach Lewis has the Panthers rolling and it does not look like they will stop anytime soon. They won the 2017 State Championship and Coach Lewis with those athletes we should see that a few more times in the next few years.

Battle Holley, East Duplin HS- His Father was a Legend and Hall of Fame Coach and it looks like his son is well on his way to do the same. Coach Holley was a play away from winning it all last year and it looks like if you are going to win the 2AA East your going to have to go through him and the Panthers to do it.

Adam Hodge, South Point HS- Coach Hodge had an incredible task to follow a legend and he did not disappoint. His youth might be held against him as well but all that means is South Point is going to win for a very very long time with him at the helm.

2A (only current HC)

Lance Ware, Shelby HS- Coach Ware and his Golden Lions just win and play for State Championships each year. If you are going to win the 2AA West your going to have to beat Coach Ware and the Golden Lions to do it. Still 10 years away from retirement Coach Ware could challenge some of the coaching records in the state before he calls it a career.

James Teague, Reidsville HS- Coach Teague is a Hall of Fame Coach without question and it is not close just a matter of time. His teams offensively are some of the best and most creative in the States History. He was a play away from winning last years 2A State Title in what might have been the game of the year.

Clay Lewis, Hibriten HS- Coach Lewis has the Panthers rolling and it does not look like they will stop anytime soon. They won the 2017 State Championship and Coach Lewis with those athletes we should see that a few more times in the next few years.

Battle Holley, East Duplin HS- His Father was a Legend and Hall of Fame Coach and it looks like his son is well on his way to do the same. Coach Holley was a play away from winning it all last year and it looks like if you are going to win the 2AA East your going to have to go through him and the Panthers to do it.

Adam Hodge, South Point HS- Coach Hodge had an incredible task to follow a legend and he did not disappoint. His youth might be held against him as well but all that means is South Point is going to win for a very very long time with him at the helm.
I like Battle also. ED will be right there again

In two different stints as Reidsville head coach.....Jimmy Teagues' record with the Rams is 272 Wins 54 Losses with Five State Titles and Two Runner-up......His winning pctg at Reidsville currently stands at 83.4%.................

For inactive coaches i would go with

-Jack Holley-WRH
-Brian Aldridge-East Duplin(even thou he technically isnt inactive anymore helped Battle Holley out last season as a Assistant)
-Bob Lewis-Clinton
-Lenon Fisher-East Bladen(Like Aldridge helped EB head Coach Robbie Priest last season)
-Phil Padgett-Southwest Onslow

Reactions: superstar57
Inactive coaches give me:
Tom Brown- Maiden
Scott Cloninger- Lincolnton
Norman from Shelby
Lewis from Clinton

Another active coach that was overlooked that is a top 5 coach is Joey Robinson from Mt. Heritage

Clay Lewis- Hibriten
Lance Ware- Shelby
Mount Pleasant's Coach
Reidsville's Coach

No particular order.

Inactive coaches give me:
Tom Brown- Maiden
Scott Cloninger- Lincolnton
Norman from Shelby
Lewis from Clinton

Another active coach that was overlooked that is a top 5 coach is Joey Robinson from Mt. Heritage
What about Allen Brown of Thomasville? First in NC history in same school wins (331). NCHSAA Hall of Fame. Four state championships as head coach and three more as DC for his son, Benjie. Coached first team in state to go 16-0 (1988). Certainly in the top five by any criteria.

What about Allen Brown of Thomasville? First in NC history in same school wins (331). NCHSAA Hall of Fame. Four state championships as head coach and three more as DC for his son, Benjie. Coached first team in state to go 16-0 (1988). Certainly in the top five by any criteria.
I have no idea how I forgot about Coach Brown. He is without a doubt a top 5 coach regardless of classification. Always hated having to face Allen Brown teams in the playoffs but always respected the kind of coach he is and program he ran.

Wasn't the year 1995 when Thomasville went 16-0 for the first team ever to do that?
because it was ironic we beat Clinton that year for the championship 16-0

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Wasn't the year 1995 when Thomasville went 16-0 for the first team ever to do that?

because it was ironic we beat Clinton that year for the championship 16-0
You’re absolutely right. Shouldn’t rely on my memory! Thanks for the correction.

Coach Oddo (retired from Charlotte Catholic) has the most wins at one school at 358, but Allen has the 2-0 record between the two.

Coach Oddo (retired from Charlotte Catholic) has the most wins at one school at 358, but Allen has the 2-0 record between the two.
I always find it interesting that the NCHSAA recognizes neither in its record book. I’m sure you’re probably right.

An amazing stat... Coach Paroli and Coach Oddo were roommates and teammates at NC State and they have a combined 760 wins.

Ware's a class act; one of the nicest and most respectful coaches I've ever met.

He could easily be a tool and be all full of himself due to being at Shelby but he was nice to all of us when we played there and took the time to make sure we had everything we needed.

I've met a ton of awful HC's but he's one of the better ones by far.

Lance Ware is a class act, no doubt! Good guy and excellent coach. He took a big gamble by making the change from the old Shelby offense to his spread. He would have won titles without the change but not as many and would not be as dominate.

Personally I wouldn't add Mot or Battle to the best coaches yet. They both have a lot to prove in their careers, IMO.

Active coaches IMHO I think Teague and Ware are in a class by themselves by a considerable distance

Agree with Teague but I’d put Cates right there as well. He’s never had the talent that Teague has had, of course not many have. But they are both as good as it gets in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT